Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Beatles - Now & Then Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
RoknRobnLoxley
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 November 2023 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote RoknRobnLoxley

Likewise, I find Now And Then to be good not great. I'm amazed though at how well they extracted John's vocal, and how good it sounds !! But then they buried it in the mix 2/3 of the way thru. Too much volume of too many instruments or something = too dense.

What Apple should have done was give us a CD maxi-single with 4 versions, a John only extracted demo, a Beatles only with voices and instruments, then add on the other instruments but at a softer volume, then the full blown mix as is. Plus the new stereo Love Me Do.

Speaking of which, it's most fab to have Love Me Do in stereo, but I've heard other stereo extracted versions of this on the internet which sounded better, with slightly more separation. Still, I'm looking forward to the Red album and all the other new 'stereo' versions.
Back to Top View RoknRobnLoxley's Profile Search for other posts by RoknRobnLoxley

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2023 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Now that the song has been released, I'm seeing more and more stories (hype?) that it actually could debut
at #1 on the Hot 100. While I'd love to see it happen, I'm still thinking it will fall short. Since it
was actually released a day early, the first day (Thursday-11/2) numbers will actually make it eligible to
chart on this coming week's Hot 100 (dated 11/11), though I don't see it happening (possibly "Bubbling
Under"???). The full impact will come on the Hot 100 dated 11/18. The streaming numbers are fairly strong
as of now, but it's the physical sales that could push it all the way to the top. It's times like this when
I wish Joel Whitburn was still around. He'd be so excited to watch this all unfold! Stay tuned...

Edited by Paul Haney on 04 November 2023 at 1:24pm
Back to Top View Paul Haney's Profile Search for other posts by Paul Haney

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2023 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Paul Haney wrote:
The streaming numbers are fairly strong as of now

It's currently only at #65 on Apple Music streaming and it's only #24 on Spotify, though it is the #1 seller on the iTunes store.

Since neither "Free as a Bird" nor "Real Love" made it anywhere near #1, I don't know why "Now and Then" would. Then again, those songs were available on the "Beatles Anthology" albums, and this
is only available as a single, so maybe I'll be surprised.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

JMD1961
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 November 2023 at 4:36pm | IP Logged Quote JMD1961

Brian W. wrote:

Since neither "Free as a Bird" nor "Real Love" made it
anywhere near #1, I don't know why "Now and Then" would.
Then again, those songs were available on the "Beatles
Anthology" albums, and this is only available as a single,
so maybe I'll be surprised.

Actually, it will be included on the expanded version of
the Red Album coming out next week. Which is crazy, since
"Free As A Bird" nor "Real Love" are not being included.

Edited by JMD1961 on 04 November 2023 at 4:37pm
Back to Top View JMD1961's Profile Search for other posts by JMD1961

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2023 at 5:09am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Keep in mind that YouTube views also count towards the streaming numbers, and those are already over 7 million. All
indications are that it could break Adele's largest digital song sales week of 1.1 million (for "Hello"). It's also being
sold as a physical CD single, which could help push it up the chart. I noticed that they are still holding off all of the
Jung Kook singles at the iTunes store this morning. No small feat, seeing as how rabid the BTS fan base can be, LOL!

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2023 at 9:13am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

EternalStatic wrote:
If the Beatles gimmick their way into a #1 slot or a Top 10 placing, even for a single week, surely that would be something to add to the record books? Longest span between first Top 10 hit and final Top
10 hit, etc.? I think that's all they're after here. And they'll probably get it in the UK.

If The Beatles manage to land in the top 10 they would be just shy of 60 years between their first top 10 (Jan 1964) and their last top 10 (Nov 2023). The only group active is the Rolling Stones that would have any chance to come close to that and they haven't had a Top 10 since the Regan administration....

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2023 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Paul Haney wrote:
I'm seeing more and more stories (hype?) that it actually could debut
at #1 on the Hot 100.

From what I have read it will enter the top 10 based on streaming/itunes/youtube and physical sales and probably fall off quickly in 2-3 weeks...

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2023 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Brian W. wrote:

Since neither "Free as a Bird" nor "Real Love" made it
anywhere near #1, I don't know why "Now and Then" would.

This is a different era. In 1995-1996 it was all about sales. Now it is all about streaming/purchases and views. Free as a Bird made it to #6 and Real Love #11 in a time where sales via soundscan was still a thing.

JMD1961 wrote:

That is a big oversight. I would have made room on the 2nd blue CD for them. There sure was enough time to add them for more completeness.

Edited by PopArchivist on 05 November 2023 at 9:29am

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2023 at 10:38am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

Billboard's practice of letting Christmas songs back on the Hot 100 each year really skews the record books. You've got
artists like Brenda Lee and Bobby Helms hitting the Top 10 every year and they both go further back than The Beatles and
The Rolling Stones in chart history. Of course, it's not with anything new, still it is the current-day Hot 100.

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2023 at 6:42pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

Paul Haney wrote:
Billboard's practice of letting Christmas songs back on the Hot 100 each year really skews the record books. You've got
artists like Brenda Lee and Bobby Helms hitting the Top 10 every year and they both go further back than The Beatles and
The Rolling Stones in chart history. Of course, it's not with anything new, still it is the current-day Hot 100.

They might go further back but Mariah always hits #1 right around December. If the Beatles can make it to #1 they probably have a week or two before Mariah leaps to #1 with her 1994 hit All I Want For Christmas Is You.

My understanding no Christmas Song outside Mariah and The Chipmunks ever hit #1 (Crosby's White Christmas was way before the modern era). By the time Mariah charts, the Beatles song will have lost steam.

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 November 2023 at 9:08pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

PopArchivist wrote:

JMD1961 wrote:

That is a big oversight. I would have made room on the 2nd blue CD for them. There sure was enough time to add them for more
completeness.

I remain hopeful that the 2 Anthology singles are excluded because there may be a revamped Anthology box set in the works which they are
being held back for (complete with a totally remastered Anthology documentary on bluray and streaming). It would be nice if they could
apply the same machine learning system employed on Now and Then to get a better Lennon vocal on "Free as A Bird" and "Real Love" while
still maintaining the Jeff Lynne feel of the original mixes (I happen to really love Jeff's production style but YMMV).

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2023 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

PopArchivist wrote:
My understanding no Christmas Song outside Mariah and The Chipmunks ever hit #1 (Crosby's White Christmas was way
before the modern era).

Not really a fair comparison since for many years Christmas songs were not eligible for the Hot 100. I'm sure "Happy Christmas (War Is
Over)", "Step Into Christmas" or even "Grandma Got Run Over..." would have at least made the top 10.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

davidlg1971
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2023 at 1:19pm | IP Logged Quote davidlg1971

LunarLaugh wrote:

I remain hopeful that the 2 Anthology singles are excluded because there may be a revamped Anthology box set in the works which they are being held back for (complete with a totally remastered Anthology documentary on bluray and streaming). It would be nice if they could apply the same machine learning system employed on Now and Then to get a better Lennon vocal on "Free as A Bird" and "Real Love" while still maintaining the Jeff Lynne feel of the original mixes (I happen to really love Jeff's production style but YMMV).

Agreed; I'd love to see a revamped Anthology that includes cleaned-up vocals for the first two songs. Apple have so far said that's not in their current plans. Which may be subterfuge, or it may be true:

Jeff Lynne has already remixed both Free As A Bird and Real Love for their respective videos, back in 2015 for the 1+ DVD/Blu-Ray set. They touched up the vocals at the time, albeit with 2015-era tools. Would they attempt it one more time? Dunno - but I hope so.

As for Now And Then - I do like it, it's a heartfelt tribute to Lennon and Harrison.

But from a compositional standpoint, I feel like it's missing something in the verse that could have made it a stronger song - adding a second melody or vocal, more complex harmonies, etc. But I admit - that would be a tall order to achieve for McCartney, working essentially alone at age 81.
Back to Top View davidlg1971's Profile Search for other posts by davidlg1971

davidlg1971
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 November 2023 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote davidlg1971

mjb50 wrote:
The DR 4 was the 24/96 stereo mastering from Qobuz, sadly.

Anyway, I kinda like the song. But I also agree it's very much got that dreary late-Lennon vibe. It would've been a decent album-ender or B-side for "Watching the Wheels". I also wish Jeff Lynne were capable of having a lighter touch.

Is the Atmos stereo mix available for purchase? I just ordered the CD-single, but I'm guessing it's highly compressed.

(Also, as an FYI where it comes to appropriate credit/blame: Jeff Lynne didn't produce the finished Now And Then, save the surviving George Harrison contributions from 1995. Everything else was produced by McCartney with Giles Martin.)
Back to Top View davidlg1971's Profile Search for other posts by davidlg1971

Paul Haney
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2023 at 4:51am | IP Logged Quote Paul Haney

As I suspected, the Beatles debuted at #5 on this week's Bubbling Under chart (dated 11/11), based on releasing the
song one day early. Where will they debut on the Hot 100 next week? Stay tuned...

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 November 2023 at 3:36pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Paul Haney wrote:
As I suspected, the Beatles debuted at #5
on this week's Bubbling Under chart (dated 11/11), based on
releasing the
song one day early. Where will they debut on the Hot 100 next
week? Stay tuned...

#79 on the Canadian Hot 100.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

RoknRobnLoxley
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2023 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote RoknRobnLoxley

In the UK, debuted at #42, trending/expected to hit #1 on the next chart in 2 days.
Back to Top View RoknRobnLoxley's Profile Search for other posts by RoknRobnLoxley

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 November 2023 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

For those who are interested there is a radio edit of the track. It cuts of the 1,2,3,4 intro and the song actually fades instead of the talking at the end. I caught it the other day, so I can confirm it isn't an in-house edit due to the ending being extended a few seconds to a proper fade.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2023 at 1:06pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

It’s #7 on the Hot 100 this week, with 73,000 in sales, 11 million streams,
and 2.1 million in airplay ‘audience impressions’.

What I’m now wondering is whether 83 year old Ringo is the oldest person
to ever have a Top Ten hit.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

kaqueno
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 November 2023 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote kaqueno

PopArchivist wrote:
For those who are interested there is
a radio edit of the track. It cuts of the 1,2,3,4 intro and
the song actually fades instead of the talking at the end.
I caught it the other day, so I can confirm it isn't an in-
house edit due to the ending being extended a few seconds
to a proper fade.

I have the version with the intro, which comes in the
proaudiousa service

Does anyone have this version to share?

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version