Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Important Update for PAID SUBSCRIBERS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 22 August 2024 at 1:35pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Hey Aaron. One of my top requests would be an improved
search feature. Here are a few suggestions:
1. Default the search to both the Topic title AND the
body text.
2. The search seems to have problems with special
characters. This is especially troublesome since we
often note song titles with " ".
3. Allow a search for a phrase by enclosing it with " ".
For example "Barry White" which would exclude Barry
Manilow.
4. Allow for some simple boolean logic (AND / OR). For
example, "Chubby Checker" AND "The Twist."

I think these are all just about standard these days.
Oh, one more thing, the formatting is weird with regards
to "carriage returns." If you look above, Aaron, your
text extends to the right side of the screen, while mine
(and others') inevitably have a carriage return about a
third of the way across the page.

Thanks for reaching out for suggestions.
Dave

Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2024 at 6:48pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I think the carriage return is a Google Chrome thing.
That's the only browser I use and I think it's limited to
Chrome.

Erie, PA
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

LunarLaugh
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 August 2024 at 10:18pm | IP Logged Quote LunarLaugh

The reply box is adjustable (lower right corner of the text box) in my web browser so the carriage return is able to be adjusted with it.

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2024 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Testing out the carriage return by adjusting the reply box. Testing out the carriage return by adjusting the reply box. Testing out the carriage return by adjusting the
reply box. Testing out the carriage return by adjusting the reply box.

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 August 2024 at 9:12am | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Well, how about that! (I'm still using Google Chrome, by the way.)

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 August 2024 at 12:48am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Allow me to chime in and say that I am very excited about the future of the Top 40 Music on Compact Disc website and can't wait to see it receive a very welcome makeover! Although this site was practically a godsend to the internet 20 years ago when first introduced in its current form (and, to my knowledge, still remains pretty much the only one featuring a comprehensive music database of its kind), website developing technology, programming, and graphics have advanced by leaps and bounds to the point where there are practically unlimited ways to create a really dazzling-looking layout by 2024 standards. I have no doubt that this website will be in fantastic hands under Aaron K.'s proven track record of leadership and guidance!

One suggestion I might make -- and, admittedly, this might not be a very popular one with everyone... But I am amazed at how a comprehensive informational database of this magnitude consisting of contents from 33,000+ CDs and 230,000+ total entries continues to be made available at the incredibly low annual subscription rate of $30... the very same rate that has been offered every single year over the past two decades! That level of consistency is practically unheard of! By the same token, I also want to be mindful of what a potentially costly expense Aaron will incur by hiring a developer to not only update the website and database to modern standards, but also manage ongoing general website maintenance. With that said, I have no qualms with perhaps suggesting a reasonable annual subscription price increase to help defray the costs and expenses for Aaron. Of course, I would recommend that any subscription increase shall not take effect until either: a) the renewal date for each individual subscriber, or b) a predetermined future date for all subscribers.

Now, I realize that these may be difficult economic times for some forum members and, therefore, I certainly would not want to render the database unaffordable for anyone, particularly longtime veterans who have made numerous valuable contributions to the message board. However, I think it is also important to keep a couple of other factors in mind... According to a figure that I calculated from an inflation calculator, a $30 database subscription in 2004 would cost the equivalent of $49.95 in today's U.S. dollars. Couple this with the fact that the database has accumulated an enormous amount of additional information over the same 20-year time period that is available to users today. To me, having a first-ever subscription rate increase makes sense from multiple vantage points.

Having personally known Aaron for many years now, I have no doubt that he has graciously accepted the undertaking of this website renovation and management project NOT for profit, but primarily out of his love and passion for collecting Top 40 Music on CD and sharing his knowledge and talents with our special close-knit community of fellow enthusiasts. At the same time, I also want to be mindful in making sure that we're all willing and offering to do our part to help Aaron avoid having to absorb a disproportionate amount of the burden to finance this project.

One other possible option would be to include a "Donate" button somewhere on the site that would allow database and forum users to voluntarily make donations to help fund this renovation project. This way, those of us who are in perhaps a little better position to make a periodic financial contribution can opt to do so.

Thoughts, anyone?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 August 2024 at 7:48am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Perfect! Let's add a couple zeros to the end of that subscription price, and maybe I can retire early!! :-D

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Robert
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 August 2024 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote Robert

As invaluable as this database and the forum have been to me over the years, I think Todd's idea is an excellent one. In addition, I would suggest a "donated" button, so we can build up a little fund to help those in our group who need it. (Maybe there'd even be enough to send Pat a little something to thank him for this wonderful service.) This isn't just me getting caught up in the moment, it's something that I think about every year at renewal time. I couldn't do what I do without it and I'm happy to pay more. (Not deleriously so, but happy.)       
Back to Top View Robert's Profile Search for other posts by Robert

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version