Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: C.J. & Co. - Devil’s Gun Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
PaulEschen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 March 2009 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote PaulEschen

My 45 runs 3:18. The import CD single I have contains the 12 inch version
(listed time--7:19, actual time 7:15), and it is this version from which the 45
version cannot be gotten. I don't have the 4:59-length version to compare.
If it starts out with the wind sounds, then it couldn't be used to get the 45
version either.
Back to Top View PaulEschen's Profile Search for other posts by PaulEschen

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2009 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

PaulEschen wrote:
My 45 runs 3:18. The import CD single I have contains the 12 inch version
(listed time--7:19, actual time 7:15), and it is this version from which the 45
version cannot be gotten. I don't have the 4:59-length version to compare.
If it starts out with the wind sounds, then it couldn't be used to get the 45
version either.

The (4:59) version found on the Original Eight Mile: Westbound Records 40th Anniversary disc starts with the brief drum roll. I've heard the longer 12" version that begins with the two gusts of wind. So it may be possible to edit the LP version to get the 45 version after all?

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 March 2009 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Who says the 4:59 version was the original album version?

I always thought the original album version ran about 7:15 & was the same as the 12" single.

(Maybe I had access to a later pressing.)

Was this another one of those cases where the record company switched out the version on the LP to the club mix midstream because the lion's share of the play was in the clubs?

Inquiring minds need to know!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2009 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Good question Andy. I wish I had the vinyl LP. On the commercial 45 (Westbound 55400) for "Devil's Gun" it states "from Westbound LP WB 301." What I've learned from this post is that the 4:59 version on the Westbound compilation disc is longer than the 45 and shorter than the 12" version. I'd like to know if this 4:59 version (whether it is the LP version or not) can be used to create the 45. Sounds like it might.

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 March 2009 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

jimct wrote:
Since this is the first commercially-released CD that I know of that features the song "Devil's Gun" on it, FYI, I thought I'd mention that the version of the song on this CD runs (4:59).

I didn't mention this when I originally posted in this thread a year ago, but in hindsight, probably should've: While "Devil's Gun" is indeed tough to find on CD (for whatever reason), and the new "Original Eight Mile: Westbound Records 40th Anniversary" collection does appear to mark the song's U.S. CD debut, it HAS appeared on some commercial imports in the past, one of which I have...

I've loved this song since I first discovered it on a K-tel compilation ("Disco Fire") in the late '80s. (Don't recall ever hearing it on the radio back in '77.) I knew the original 1977 parent album (also titled "Devil's Gun") was long out-of-print by then, but it didn't take me long to find it on cassette, as well as the group's follow-up, 1978's "Deadeye Dick". "Devil's Gun" also appeared on a late '70s V/A compilation titled "Westbound Disco Sizzlers", which I also picked up. Still have all three cassettes to this day...

I added the song to my collection on CD when I bought the group's 1998 U.K. compilation, titled "USA Disco" (Westbound/Ace CDSEWD 116). It's an excellent 10-track collection of the three best songs from "Devil's Gun", five from "Deadeye Dick", plus two tracks recorded for an aborted third album at the time. (Curiously, the CD does not include their first minor U.S. hit on Westbound, "Daydreamer", when they went by the name C.C. & Company, although the back insert does feature a picture of the label of that very U.S. 45, and it's also mentioned in the liner notes.) Listed and actual time of "Devil's Gun" is (7:14); it's the LP/12" version (and yes, it starts w/ the "wind sounds"!). The back insert states that all tracks on the CD were "transferred from original analogue master tapes". Fortunately, the CD is still in print to this day, and is easily obtainable through both eBay and Amazon. I've also seen on eBay the European promo dance/dj CD single that PaulEschen mentions above; I'm certain that "USA Disco" is the source of both tracks on that one...

Apparently there actually were two U.S. pressings of the "Devil's Gun" album; originals were on Westbound 301, while later pressings were on Westbound 6100. At this time, I'm not aware of the title track being any different between the two, but it sounds like AndrewChouffi may be onto something. The version on my original cassette (don't have it handy at the moment, but I'm 90% certain it has the "6100" catalog no.) runs over 7:00, and while I don't own the 12" single, all pictures of the labels that I've seen on-line for it also run over 7:00, so it appears that the 6100 LP & 12" versions are indeed the same. So at this time, I don't know where the (4:59) version on the new "Original Eight Mile: Westbound Records 40th Anniversary" CD comes from, but based on Santi Paradoa's post above, it's definitely a different mix. I haven't yet picked up this new 40th anniversary collection myself, but as a huge fan of '70s & '80s funk in general (and currently lacking "Funky Worm" on CD!), I hope to shortly...

While researching this, I also found listings for two other import CDs that contain "Devil's Gun", both V/A compilations: A recent U.K. release from 2008 on Milestone Records, Ltd. MSHA 1001-1, titled "The Original Masters, Vol. 3", that purportedly contains the (7:13) LP/12" version, and one from Italy that came out in the early '90s (and apparently pretty rare) on Dig It International DCD 10035, titled "Disco D.O.C. '70", where the song allegedly runs (3:25), which is darn close to the 45 length... :-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

PaulEschen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2009 at 4:31pm | IP Logged Quote PaulEschen

The good news is that, yes, the 45 version can be edited from the version
on The Original Eight Mile - Westbound Records: 40th Anniversary.
There are five edits, three of which are tricky; I'm not sure I have them
100% accurate, but here goes:

--edit 0:39.7 to 0:55.2 on the beat. After that,
--edit 2:26.5 to 2:30.1 to include the double drum hits at 2:30. After
that,
--edit 2:34.5 to 2:49.8 to include the last half of the guitar solo. After
that,
--edit 2:46 to 3:39.5 to include the last note before the "Fee, Fie, Foe,
Fum" with the bass voice comes in. After that,
--edit 3:16 to the end, and add a quick fade-out from 3:08 (the high
falsetto "shout" to 3:16 ("gun" should be the last word/sound).

Hope this helps.

Edited by PaulEschen on 09 September 2009 at 7:26pm
Back to Top View PaulEschen's Profile Search for other posts by PaulEschen

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 September 2016 at 10:48am | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

It may not be the 45 version, but there is a version of this song on the recently released CD soundtrack to the Netflix television series "The Get Down." It's a US RCA two disc set and the track runs just over three and 1/2 minutes.

Edited by Santi Paradoa on 30 September 2016 at 10:49am

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2020 at 1:20pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

Looks like the 45 version may finally be on an import CD: http://www.top40musiconcd.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9255 &PN=1

AutumnAarilyn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 March 2020 at 8:40pm | IP Logged Quote AutumnAarilyn

The drum intro on "Devil's gun" sounds like it's from
"We've got our own thing" which was an underground hit
in its own right. I love how both songs build up in
their longest versions.

Edited by AutumnAarilyn on 29 March 2020 at 8:40pm
Back to Top View AutumnAarilyn's Profile Search for other posts by AutumnAarilyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version