Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: The Complete Motown Singles Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 29 October 2008 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Hopefully!

I recreated the short edit in stereo some time ago after hearing the mono short edit.

Would be nice to have the 'official' edit though.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 12:01pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
eriejwg wrote:
I was struck by the 'short promo version of Tom Clay's "What The World Needs Now." Wonder if this is the short promo that Jim mentioned he owned.

I have a promo single of this. Both the mono & stereo sides are shown as "short version" with a listed time of 5:19. I don't have the long version to compare it to.

(label scans moved to the Tom Clay "What The World Needs.." thread.)

It was nice to see that Motown actually forked over the extra coin to have both of these pressed in high quality vinyl at Columbia's Santa Maria plant. Even Motown must have known that to send such a long 45 to broadcasters on the usual cheap Motown cracklefest vinyl would have been an impediment to getting radio adds.

Edited by Yah Shure on 20 November 2008 at 9:55pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Yah Shure wrote:
It was nice to see that Motown actually forked over the extra coin to have both of these pressed in high quality vinyl at Columbia's Santa Maria plant. Even Motown must have known that to send such a long 45 to broadcasters on the usual cheap Motown cracklefest vinyl would have been an impediment to getting radio adds.

And the reservice promo actually ran (5:19)?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 October 2008 at 1:24pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I haven't played my copy of the edit since the '70s, but according to Jim, it runs (5:25). Here's the earlier Tom Clay thread.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 8:27am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Just FYI--Vol. 11A hit iTunes (and I would assume other music services) today. While I have no way to verify if they didn't make any mistakes, the two tracks I bought (short version of Tom Clay and what I'm assuming is the commercial single of Diana Ross' "Reach Out I'll Be There") sound real good.

Edited by sriv94 on 18 November 2008 at 8:28am

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

11A hit MusicGiants today, too, in WMA Lossess, for anyone who just wants a few tracks in CD-quality.

Strangely, it's still not listed on the Hip-O Select website, that I can see, but it is up for order elsewhere on the web and listed as available now.

Edited by Brian W. on 18 November 2008 at 1:01pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Something weird: the B-side of "Reach Out I'll Be There," which is "(They Long to Be) Close to You," is stereo on this set, while the A-side is mono. Is it this way on the vinyl single?

Edited by Brian W. on 18 November 2008 at 1:02pm

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 1:14pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian, I have just pulled my commercial 45 for you, and the answer to your question is yes. The "Reach Out..." A-side is in mono, whereas the "live" version B-side, "...Close To You", is indeed in stereo on my 1971 single.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 November 2008 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jimct wrote:
Brian, I have just pulled my commercial 45 for you, and the answer to your question is yes. The "Reach Out..." A-side is in mono, whereas the "live" version B-side, "...Close To You", is indeed in stereo on my 1971 single.

Thanks, Jim!

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 November 2008 at 9:35am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Calling the Hip-O Select order # to try to order Vol. 11A, like I had done for all of the others, was unsuccessful this time; all they showed was Vols. 1 thru 10. So I went through Amazon instead, and received my 5-CD set today. Brian, let me know if you have already "guest reviewed" this new box for Pat already; otherwise, I will be happy to do the honors.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 November 2008 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

jimct wrote:
Calling the Hip-O Select order # to try to order Vol. 11A, like I had done for all of the others, was unsuccessful this time; all they showed was Vols. 1 thru 10. So I went through Amazon instead, and received my 5-CD set today. Brian, let me know if you have already "guest reviewed" this new box for Pat already; otherwise, I will be happy to do the honors.

I actually haven't even ordered it yet, Jim, so feel free! (I know, I know, this volume was my "most wanted," but with Christmas coming up, I may delay it.)

waldo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 November 2008 at 8:03am | IP Logged Quote waldo

Can someone please confirm if the correct single version of Mama's Pearl has been issued in Mono... i've read on another forum that they have used the different Third Album vocal take instead?, which make no sense as the correct vocal used for the single has been issued on two or three compilations albeit in stereo. they could have just taken that - "folding" it back to Mono.
Back to Top View waldo's Profile Search for other posts by waldo

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 November 2008 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Three different people on the Steve Hoffman board now claim the version of "Mama's Pearl" on "Motown Singles 11A" does not match their 45s.

They'd better get this fixed, because I will NOT buy this set until it is. Anyone know how to contact Harry Weinger?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 November 2008 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Brian, I can confirm that the correct 45 version of "Mama's Pearl" does NOT appear on the new Motown Singles Box, Vol. 11A - 1971. As Waldo has previously noted inside the specific "Mama's Pearl" thread, Tito's "bum-bum-bum-bum, etc.", which does appear on my 1971 45, but not on the LP version and serves as a "quick tip-off" to distinguish between the two mixes, despite the track appearing on the new box set in mono. I feel especially bad for you, Brian. For some time now, you have mentioned that "Mama's Pearl" may have been the ONE Motown song you most badly wanted the correct 45 version for, out of all of the label's total output - even more than our 1970, ultra-documented "Indiana Wants Me!" I guess Harry Weinger doesn't check the Board, Brian, or he would've known to make darn sure he got THAT one right! Especially when I just opened up the back cover of Vol. 11A, and I see only one thing: a pristine 45 picture sleeve photo for "Mama's Pearl!" Good luck getting hold of him; at a quick glance, I don't see an e-mail address for him readily pop up.

Edited by jimct on 27 November 2008 at 11:07pm

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 November 2008 at 1:57am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks for the confirmation, Jim.

But, believe me, I'll make sure that Disc One of this set is corrected. There have been at least two corrections on previous sets in this series. And there are people on the Steve Hoffman bulletin board who know how to get a hold of Harry Weinger.

I'm going to start by sending an email to Hip-O Select tonight, and I'd encourage you to do the same. It's hipocrates@hip-oselect.com.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 November 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I got Harry Weinger's email address and just sent him a nice email. I will let you know his reply, if I get one.

I think it probably will be corrected. I know for a fact that "Shotgun" was corrected, because my copy of that volume (purchased several months after its release) has the gunshot effect on the intro. It was absent in initial pressings.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I've just noticed that The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 9: 1969 (Box Set) does not have the short 3:25 commercial 45 version of the Temptations' "Runaway Child, Running Wild". This is one of the last remaining Motown 45 edits to have never appeared on CD.

By the way, does anyone know if Hip-O Select is planning to release a Complete Motown Singles box set for 1972, or is the series concluding with Volume 11B: 1971?

Edited by Todd Ireland on 11 February 2009 at 1:58pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Todd Ireland wrote:
I've just noticed that The Complete Motown Singles Vol. 9: 1969 (Box Set) does not have the short 3:25 commercial 45 version of the Temptations' "Runaway Child, Running Wild". This is one of the last remaining Motown 45 edits to have never appeared on CD.

Brian and Jim were discussing that briefly in the 11B thread.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks, Doug. Evidently, I missed the discussion while I was away from the message board last week.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 February 2009 at 3:03pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd Ireland wrote:
By the way, does anyone know if Hip-O Select is planning to release a Complete Motown Singles box set for 1972, or is the series concluding with Volume 11B: 1971?
Todd, for years now, the plan has been to make 1972 the final year of the Motown Singles Box Sets. I have read/heard nothing to date to the contrary. I do also believe that, like with 1971, Hip-O Select will need to issue two 1972 volumes, 12A & 12B, simply because of the era's longer songs, and multiple versions of the same song that Motown was often doing at this time. I'm anticipating that both of those 1972 Box Sets will be released by the end of 2009.

Edited by jimct on 11 February 2009 at 3:03pm

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version