Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Eagles - One Of These Nights Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Plastic Steel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 March 2016 at 10:44pm | IP Logged Quote Plastic Steel

"Best Of My Love," a big hit from January 1975, probably ought to have its own thread. I had a hard time finding info on this one, it being tucked into another song's thread and all.

I counted two edits (and an early fade) to create the 45 version (mine runs to 3:30), but I didn't hear an edit in the fadeout, as was maybe mentioned above.

The first one was explained. But the second one is needed to get the correct, harmonized "oooooh sweet darlin'" section order after the first edit.

First edit:
At the 3:06.9 mark, right after Don Henley sings "oh oo oh, but..." Snip out the next (approx.) 11 seconds, ending at 3:17.6.

The reason you need to end the splice at 3:17.6 and not later is that the first harmonized chord, where the Eagles are singing "oooooh sweet darlin'" after the edit, is sung as a major chord. The next sustained chord (on "ooooh") on the LP version is actually in a minor chord (listen for the low note in the chord for the difference between the first and second harmonies). They then go to a slightly dissonant chord for the third and last harmony before Don's "every night and day." So, on the LP version, this part of the song has three different chords that are sung major-minor-dissonant. On the 45, you need one major and then one minor chord before "every night and day." So removing everything up to the second chord will get you two harmonies (minor-dissonant) instead of what it should be (major-minor). Therefore...

Second edit:
This one's a little tricky. When Henley sings a descending "sweet darlin'" after the second (minor) harmony at (45's 3:19.5 / LP's 3:30), there's a beat/guitar strum you can edit on during "sweet."
45: remove 3:19.5 to the next "sweet" sung by Don at 3:30 after the third harmony chord.
LP: same idea, only remove 3:30 to 3:40.7.

Fade:
A pretty quick fadeout.
45: Begin at 3:23, right after "every night and day." Fade to zero by 3:30.
LP Begin at 3:45, right after "every night and day." Fade to zero by 3:52.

Your final 45 version should run very close to 3:30 and have two edits at 3:06.9 and 3:19.5 of the 45.
Back to Top View Plastic Steel's Profile Search for other posts by Plastic Steel

Steve Carras
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote Steve Carras

And it's faded before "day".UPDATE:I rechecked, and it does go "day"(the recreation I tried of the LP version wasn't a good fade..)

Edited by Steve Carras on 25 May 2016 at 10:07pm

Fastphilly
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 May 2016 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote Fastphilly

Maybe it's just me, but the 45 mix of "One Of These Nights" sounds to be a "tad" faster than the LP mix.
Back to Top View Fastphilly's Profile Search for other posts by Fastphilly

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version