Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Guns N’ Roses - Sweet Child O’ Mine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 January 2009 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Without comparing them closely, I'd say all three "remix" versions are the same remix, just edited to different lengths. It sounds like they started with the 4:55 edit and chopped more out for the 4:15 "All Dayparts Remix." Later, for the commercial 45 and second promo CD, they made one additional edit to the 4:15 version.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 6:01am | IP Logged Quote torcan

aaronk wrote:
Here's a summary:

Single Version aka "Edit/Remix"
Actual time - 3:58
Can be found on stock 45, promo 45, 1-track promo CD
     promo 45 printed time is 3:42
     promo CD single printed time is 3:57 (labeled "Edit/Remix")
     stock 45 printed time is ?:??

The All-Dayparts Remix
Actual time - 4:15
Can be found on 3-track promo CD with printed time of 3:58

Edit/Remix
Actual time - 4:55
Can be found on 3-track promo CD with printed time of 4:53; not the same as 1-track "Edit/Remix"

Bumping up an old thread...I was looking at e-bay recently and saw a promo 45 listed for this title. The label showed a time of 3:42 (edit/remix).

The commercial single in the US (which I have) was the full 5:55 LP version. The commercial single in Canada (which I don't have, but have seen many times) listed the time as 3:57 (edit/remix).

I know that Guns N Roses had a deal with Geffen that none of their songs would be edited for single release. Maybe this promo single came before that deal(?)

When this song was a hit, I remember hearing two different edits on the radio - one of them was a short version but had part of the guitar solo between the verses intact. The other omitted this solo totally.

Does anybody know if there was more than one promo 45 of this song - or were the other edits CD single only?

Speaking of Canadian 45s, the "Welcome to the Jungle" 45 was listed as 3:35 (edit). Surprising, because I've got a copy of the promo 45 from the US (with the "Don't Report this Record" picture sleeve) and it's the full 4:31 version. Not sure where this shorter edit came from. FWIW, the Canadian 45 of "Paradise City" was the full 6:46 version.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 7:38am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Torcan, this is interesting news if you've found a US commercial 45 of "Sweet Child" with the full 5:55 LP version on it. To date, everyone reports that commercial 45s have the 3:58 Edit/Remix.

Also, is your short "Welcome To The Jungle" a promo or commercial copy?

Edited by aaronk on 27 April 2010 at 7:38am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

torcan
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote torcan

aaronk wrote:
Torcan, this is interesting news if you've found a US commercial 45 of "Sweet Child" with the full 5:55 LP version on it. To date, everyone reports that commercial 45s have the 3:58 Edit/Remix.

Also, is your short "Welcome To The Jungle" a promo or commercial copy?

There are a number of commercial copies on e-bay right now - here's one of them. If you click on the closeup of the label you can see the time printed clearly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guns-N-Roses-Sweet-Child-O-Mine-Its-Easy -PS-VG-/110507137853?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=ite m19babd1b3d

The short "Welcome to the Jungle" was a commercial copy. There's a dealer at the Toronto records shows who always seems to have it. I think I'd better pick it up next time! I just wasn't sure if this edit was common or not.
Back to Top View torcan's Profile Search for other posts by torcan

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Torcan, I just checked the database, and it currently says "commercial copies all run 5:54." For some reason, I thought this song had "LP version" comments next to all the CDs. I guess there are no 3:58 commercial 45s. Only promos have this version.

If you ever get your hands on the "Jungle" 45 edit, I'd love to hear it!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Hmmm...this listing on Discogs says it's a US pressing and runs 3:57:

http://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Sweet-Child-O-Mine/relea se/1275878

It's the same catalog number as the cassette single, with the exception of the last number. By contrast, the cassingle reportedly has the full 5:55 LP version.

Were there two commercial pressings of this 45?

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

Anyone of us in radio back in those days will remember the deer in the headlights feel we all had when the first GNR was released to CHR.
Quickly we all realized the monster they would become.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 11:05am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:
Hmmm...this listing on Discogs says it's a US pressing and runs 3:57:

http://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Sweet-Child-O-Mine/relea se/1275878

It's the same catalog number as the cassette single, with the exception of the last number. By contrast, the cassingle reportedly has the full 5:55 LP version.

Were there two commercial pressings of this 45?

It may be that the claim of "US pressing" for that disc is in error. It could be a Canadian pressing. The catalog number is different than on the US 45, but matches the catalog no. for the Canadian 45 in this Ebay listing, which says "Edit/Remix" on the label:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guns-N-Roses-45-Sweet-Child-O-Mine-1988- Canada-M-NOS-/270559748364?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&ha sh=item3efe9e210c

Edited by Brian W. on 28 April 2010 at 11:07am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 1:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian W. wrote:
The catalog number is different than on the US 45, but matches the catalog no. for the Canadian 45 in this Ebay listing, which says "Edit/Remix" on the label:

Brian, are you saying that 27963-7 is not the US catalog number? There are other 45s on eBay (all from US sellers) with that catalog number and appear to be US pressings, such as this one or this one.

You might be right that the discogs listing is the Canadian single, though. Perhaps there are both US and Canadian singles with the same catalog number, although the US one has the full LP version.

Am I losing my mind, or did the database, at one time, indicate "LP version" next to "Sweet Child"? I think that's why I always thought the 3:57 version was the US 45 version.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 3:07pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:

Brian, are you saying that 27963-7 is not the US catalog number? There are other 45s on eBay (all from US sellers) with that catalog number and appear to be US pressings

I guess I was assuming the "other" US single listed on Discogs with a different catalog number was "the" catalog number. It's 9 27794-7, which strangely ALSO lists the Edit/Remix as the A-side, but with a completely different B-side! ("Out Ta Get Me" LP Version.) Now it's really convoluted!
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 3:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Yes, I'm confused about this one, too. Does anyone own a US commercial copy of the 45 with a catalog number other than 27963-7? Does anyone own any US commercial 45 with the shorter "edit/remix"?

Edited by aaronk on 28 April 2010 at 3:45pm

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 6:50pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

My US commercial 45 of "Sweet Child O' Mine" is 7-27963-A and is the 5:55 LP version (backed with "It's So Easy" live). The handwritten info is 7-27963-REI-A.SRI (with the picture sleeve of the pistols and roses on the front and the picture of the band on the back). I purchased it in Miami in '88 when it hit the charts.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 April 2010 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Santi Paradoa wrote:
My US commercial 45 of "Sweet Child O' Mine" is 7-27963-A ...The handwritten info is 7-27963-REI-A.SRI ...

This is a slightly different catalog number than the other ones. The "REI" in the deadwax is also interesting.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 March 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Found another source for the 3:58 Edit/Remix.

I think it may have been the UK 45 version. It turns up on
the 2-CD UK set The Hits Album 10 (CDHITS10,
released 1989). No guarantees that this one is cheap, but
it may be more plentiful than that 1-track promo CD single.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:11pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I have the UK 45 containing the 3:58 edit/remix, but I
just ordered a copy of The Hits Album 10. I'll be
anxious to see if it matches my copy of the edit/remix
and won't be brickwalled or overly compressed.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 May 2015 at 8:39pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It sounds just fine on The Hits Album 10. Nice
dynamic range, good EQ, no extra compression/limiting,
no noise reduction. It's a small notch below the promo
CD single, probably because it's from a different source
tape, but I heartily recommend it nonetheless.

I'm impressed that you found The Hits Album 10.
Mind if I ask where?

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 May 2015 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Discogs, Searched by title of the album. Paid 13.40 US.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 June 2015 at 11:15pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My copy of The Hits Album 10 arrived today. Sweet
Child matches my UK 45. Nice to have a clean, digital
copy of the edit-remix. You're right, Ron, sounds great!

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 August 2020 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Just summarizing here.

There are four different versions of the song.

5:54 LP version
  • US commercial 45 (Geffen 7-27963, printed 5:55, designation as "LP version")
  • Full-length Appetite For Destruction CD (Geffen 24148, printed 5:55)
  • Track 3 from promo CD single Geffen PRO-CD-3077 (printed 5:55, designation as "LP Version", "From the Geffen album APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION (GHS 24148)") - uses same analog transfer as full Appetite CD but not a digital clone
  • Track 4 from Aerosmith Guns N' Roses promo CD single Geffen PRO-CD-3132 (printed 5:55, designation as "LP Version", also includes "Rag Doll (Edit)", "Angel (LP Version)", "Dude (Looks Like A Lady)", and "Welcome To The Jungle (LP Version)" as tracks 1-3 and 5) - uses same analog transfer as full Appetite CD but not a digital clone
4:55 Edit/Remix
  • Track 2 from promo CD single Geffen PRO-CD-3077 (printed 4:53, designation as "Edit/Remix")
4:15 The All Dayparts Remix
  • Track 1 from promo CD single Geffen PRO-CD-3077 (printed 3:58, designation as "The All Dayparts Remix")
  • Geffen Records A Musical History Of The Decade Vol. 3 (1990) - differently-EQ'd digital clone of the promo CD single
  • swaitek's promo 50-CD The A List Disc 41 - has noise reduction, and likely borrows mastering from a TM Century disc
3:58 Edit/Remix
  • Only track on promo CD single Geffen PRO-CD-3147 (printed 3:57, designation as "Edit/Remix", "From the Geffen album APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION (GHS 24148)")
  • UK commercial 45 (printed 3:57, designation as "Edit/Remix")
  • US promo 45 (Geffen 7-27963-DJ, printed 3:42, designation as "Edit/Remix")
  • European 2-CD compilation The Hits Album 10 (1989) - different analog transfer than promo CD single; sound quality is fine, with no noise reduction and comparable dynamic range and EQ to promo CD single
  • There may be other UK or European collections with the song? Not sure.
I realize that the only inexpensive CD option here is the original Geffen Appetite For Destruction CD, and you'll only get the LP version. On the plus side, this CD is one of the very best-sounding hard rock CDs ever produced. So rock on! For almost 6 minutes.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 12 August 2020 at 12:07pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version