Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "I’m So Excited" - Pointer Sisters Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 November 2005 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Looking at the database, Pat notes that the version of "I'm So Excited" on the Rhino Like Omigod box set is the 1984 45 version. On my copy (which could be an earlier pressing), I have the 1982 version (no drum opening).

Anyone else have the box set and can check which version of "I'm So Excited" appears on theirs?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 November 2005 at 2:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

My copy also does not have a drum opening. It has two quick drum hits and then the keyboards start right away. The run time is (3:48). Can you explain the difference between the two 45 versions? The only other CD I have this on is my TM Century library, and it appears to be the same as the Like Omigod box set.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 November 2005 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

aaronk wrote:
My copy also does not have a drum opening. It has two quick drum hits and then the keyboards start right away. The run time is (3:48). Can you explain the difference between the two 45 versions? The only other CD I have this on is my TM Century library, and it appears to be the same as the Like Omigod box set.

First key difference is the six second drum opening in the 1984 45 version (which was also on the Break Out LP version).

The other differences are in the instrumentation and mix. The 1982 45 version has no organ playing during the chorus, while the 1984 version does have an organ. I'll E-mail you a comparison shortly.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 November 2005 at 1:14am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I noticed that the database now shows "1982 45 version" next to the Like Omigod box set entry. Here's the funny thing, Doug. After you pointed out the differences in the mix, I went back to check my TM disc again. TM uses the 1984 MIX, but matched the edits to the 1982 45 version, so they totally butchered that one. I'll have to track down the correct 1984 45 version for my collection.

Good ears on spotting the differences.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 September 2012 at 7:59pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

What a mess! I'm sorting this out mostly for myself, in case I ever need to refer to this again.

1982 mix 45 edit (keyboards come in at 0:01, no organ roll at beginning of chorus, runs about 3:48)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002; clips a bit but sounds excellent)
  • Sessions Presents Night Beat (1988; 2-CD set)
  • Starland Music Presents Rockin' USA (1994; 2-CD set; uses same analog transfer as Night Beat)
1982 mix LP version (appeared on the So Excited! LP, which I don't have; I know that there's no organ roll at beginning of the chorus, but I don't know any of the other details)

1984 mix 45 edit (keyboards come in at 0:05, has an organ roll at beginning of chorus, runs about 3:53, can be edited down from 1984 mix LP version)
  • according to my 1996 book, appears on RCA's Fire Very Best Of, which I don't own
1984 mix LP version (keyboards come in at 0:11, has an organ roll at beginning of chorus, runs about 4:52)
  • Break Out (my copy is Japan-for-US, but I'd guess that it's the same as the standard US)
  • CBS's Music For The Miracle (1986; a little hissier than Break Out)
  • Big Ear Music's Only In The 80's Vol. 2 (1995; too loud and clips at end of song)
1984 mix LP version faded :31 early to run 4:22 with slightly truncated opening drumbeat (avoid these; this length didn't exist on record at any point)
  • Realm's Gold And Platinum Vol. 2 (1986; the early fade originated on this disc, which has many early fades)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies Vol. 38 Celebration (1994; uses same analog transfer as G&P but with extra compression! Avoid for 2 reasons!)
  • Time-Life's Sounds Of The Eighties Vol. 11 1983-1984 (1995; differently EQ'd digital clone of G&P)
1984 mix 12" single version (runs about 5:38; keyboards come in at 0:11, 1984 LP and 1984 45 versions can probably be edited down from this, has great cold ending)
  • RCA's Greatest Hits (1989)
  • EMI Australia's 5-CD Pop Complete (1999)
1984 mix edited to roughly match the 1982 mix 45 version (runs about 3:53, keyboards come in at 0:01, has organ roll at beginning of chorus; avoid these; this didn't exist on record at any point)
  • TM Century's GoldDisc 923 (the edit was done in-house for this disc)
  • Swaitek's 50-CD The A-List (same analog transfer as the TM disc)
This is pretty horrendous.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 11 September 2012 at 8:14pm

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

7 versions of one song! I wonder if that's a record for all the top 40 hits in this database.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged Quote abagon

crapfromthepast wrote:

1982 mix 45 edit (keyboards come in at 0:01, no organ roll at beginning of chorus, runs about 3:48)
  • Rhino's 7-CD Like Omigod (2002; clips a bit but sounds excellent)
  • Sessions Presents Night Beat (1988; 2-CD set)
  • Starland Music Presents Rockin' USA (1994; 2-CD set; uses same analog transfer as Night Beat)
1982 mix LP version (appeared on the So Excited! LP, which I don't have; I know that there's no organ roll at beginning of the chorus, but I don't know any of the other details)

Ron,
Here is the 1982 mix info.
Both the commercial 45 (Planet YB-13327) and the LP "So Excited!" (Planet BXL1-4355) run (3:49), and have the printed time "3:50" on the record labels. I feel there are no difference between the 45 and LP.

--abagon

Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Dale in Edmontn
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged Quote Dale in Edmontn

Do any of you have the Deluxe version of "Break Out"? It has the 1984 single version of I'm So Excited as well as all of the other singles/remixes from that album. It's pretty good!
Back to Top View Dale in Edmontn's Profile Search for other posts by Dale in Edmontn

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 September 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Nice find, Dale! I checked out the track list, and they did a nice job with that reissue.

Pat, as a side note, the database currently says 'Canadian 12" single version' for "Neutron Dance." I just listened to a copy of the US 12", and I don't hear any difference between it and the version on Greatest Hits. The 12" runs 5:32, although the label says 4:59.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 6:31pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

What's the sound quality like on the deluxe version of the Pointer Sisters' Break Out CD? Is the dynamic range largely intact, or is it squashed as the result of being mastered at extremely loud levels like on most modern day CD releases?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

AaronsAmazing
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 July 2024 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote AaronsAmazing

For some reason, the 1982 single/album version sounds terrible on the
digital "expanded edition" of the So Excited! album. Does anyone know
why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I57hkclh3kk
Back to Top View AaronsAmazing's Profile Search for other posts by AaronsAmazing

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version