Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Fleetwoods - Mr. Blue Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 July 2008 at 3:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I picked up an original Dolton 45 on "Mr. Blue" and notice that there is reverb right from the start of the song, unlike CD versions I've heard, like the Come Softly To Me Compilation and the 10 Best Series. On those CDs the vocal is completely dry as the song starts. Does anyone know if the dry version is an album version, or if the version with reverb on the vocal start has made it to CD anywhere?
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 1:56am | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

The Liberty "All-Time Hits" reissue, number 54515, also contains the version with reverb right from the beginning.

I'm fairly certain the single version is on both mono and stereo pressings of the fleetwoods greatest hits lp on Dolton but at the moment I can't locate either my dad's mono copy or my own stereo copy. My biggest problem is having too many records and not having enough places to put them. I will have to edit this further later on unless someone else can post whether or not these two pressings of the lp contain the single version or not.

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 8:16am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

How interesting! I don't recall ever hearing a version with reverb at the start. While my collection doesn't include a 45 of Mr. Blue, it does have several LPs with the track. All but possibly one have the dry vocal.

Here are the titles I checked:

Original Hits: Past & Present Liberty Mono 1960
Fleetwoods Greatest Hits Dolton Stereo 1962
Original Golden Greats Volume 5 Liberty Stereo 1968
Very Best of the Fleetwoods United Artists Stereo 1975

Mr. Blue is fake stereo on all three (and very muddy on Greatest Hits), but the 1968 LP seems to have a very small amount of reverb at the beginning.

Should I be hearing a lot of reverb on the Dolton 45? And does your original Dolton single have the 6th Avenue or Union Street address?

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 1:04pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Nice catch, Bill!

Gary, I listened to the reprossesed stereo version on Original Golden Greats Volume 5 (Liberty 7575) and it sounds like that touch of reverb - which is only in the right channel - was added during the stereo simulation process. I folded that mix to mono and compared it with the Dolton 45, and it's still noticeably drier than the 45; not that the 45 is overly wet. If you were to compare the Dolton 45 with the mono 45s of "Summertime, Summertime" or "Blue Moon," it is drier than those.

I have an RCA-pressed vinyl copy and the styrene pressing shown below, and both have the 6th Avenue address on the label.

Edited by Yah Shure on 13 July 2008 at 1:05pm
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 2:12pm | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

Yah Shure wrote:
Nice catch, Bill!

Gary, I listened to the reprossesed stereo version on Original Golden Greats Volume 5 (Liberty 7575) and it sounds like that touch of reverb - which is only in the right channel - was added during the stereo simulation process. I folded that mix to mono and compared it with the Dolton 45, and it's still noticeably drier than the 45; not that the 45 is overly wet. If you were to compare the Dolton 45 with the mono 45s of "Summertime, Summertime" or "Blue Moon," it is drier than those.

I have an RCA-pressed vinyl copy and the styrene pressing shown below, and both have the 6th Avenue address on the label.

According to the BSN discography for Dolton, the label moved from 6th Avenue to Union Street in 1960. I was wondering if only the first press of Mr. Blue had reverb and the dry version was perhaps substituted after the move. Does anyone have the Mr. Blue 45 with the Union address?

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

BillCahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2008 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote BillCahill

My copy has the same address on the label as Yah Sure.
Back to Top View BillCahill's Profile Search for other posts by BillCahill

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 July 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Bumping up this thread to see if anyone has yet found a Dolton 45 copy of Mr. Blue without the reverb.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Bondy
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 4:08am | IP Logged Quote Bondy

Tom
Mr. Blue was never issued as a stereo 45. The only stereo that I'm aware of are, Graduation's Here and Come Softly To Me
Back to Top View Bondy's Profile Search for other posts by Bondy

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 6:20pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Wow, don't know how I missed this thread from four years ago. This is a great discovery. I'm not sure I've ever heard the reverby 45 version before. There seems to be reverb all through it, not just on the intro. Is it on CD anywhere? Here it is on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE6OkqFv5PM
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 August 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Has anyone checked the "Diner" soundtrack? It's hard to tell, but from the sound sample on All Music Guide it sounds like the reverb version MIGHT be on there...

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 August 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Sounds to me like the version on the "Diner" soundtrack has the reverb. Anyone else wish to comment?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2012 at 12:33am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Pat Downey wrote:
Sounds to me like the version on the "Diner" soundtrack has the reverb. Anyone else wish to comment?

Picked up the "Diner" soundtrack, used, for five bucks today, and, yes, it's the 45 version with the slight reverb. Unfortunately, the left channel is extremely phasey... the mono tape seems to have been improperly transferred with a misaligned stereo tape head. The right channel seems to be fine, though. I'm working on fixing that now, so hopefully I will have a good version within the next few days.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2012 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Oh, boy, now I'm not so sure. The apparent 45 dub on YouTube does seem to have more reverb than the "Diner" version does. (I say apparent because they don't actually show the 45 playing, but they show a photo and the guy says it's from his personal collection.)

Does someone with the original Dolton #5 want to email me an MP3 so I can know I'm hearing the real thing?

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Just sent one to you, Brian.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 August 2012 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian W. wrote:
Pat Downey wrote:

Picked up the "Diner" soundtrack, used, for five bucks today, and, yes, it's the 45 version with the slight reverb. Unfortunately, the left channel is extremely phasey... the mono tape seems to have been improperly transferred with a misaligned stereo tape head. The right channel seems to be fine, though. I'm working on fixing that now, so hopefully I will have a good version within the next few days.

Here's something I've never quite fully understood... If a song is supposed to be in mono, then by definition the audio in the left and right channels should technically be identical, correct? So can't the phasing issue with "Mr. Blue" on the Diner soundtrack CD be fixed simply by first deleting the audio in the right channel and then copying and pasting the good audio from the left channel into the right channel, thus making it true mono? Or can this method create phasing problems in and of itself?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 August 2012 at 10:16pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I think that's exactly what Brian is doing.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 1:42am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Todd Ireland wrote:
[QUOTE=Brian W.] So can't the phasing issue with "Mr. Blue" on the Diner soundtrack CD be fixed simply by first deleting the audio in the right channel and then copying and pasting the good audio from the left channel into the right channel, thus making it true mono? Or can this method create phasing problems in and of itself?

Yes, that's what I'm doing.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 1:42am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yah Shure wrote:
Just sent one to you, Brian.

Thanks again. I was gone all evening until late, so I won't have a chance to compare them till probably Tuesday evening.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 4:47am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Brian W. wrote:
Yes, that's what I'm doing.

Ok, I get it now... When you said you were working on fixing the problem "right now" and hoping to have a good version ready "within the next few days", I thought you were implying you were undertaking a highly involved and complicated procedure that would take you days to finish. That's why I was wondering if I was missing something here! LOL
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 August 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I compared the "Diner" version with the 45 dub that Yah Shure sent me, and it's not right. There's noticeably more reverb on the 45 than on "Diner." So dead end. But a reverby version of "Mr. Blue" sounds familiar to me, so let me check my vast various artists import collections.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version