Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Lulu-"Oh Me Oh My" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 April 2008 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

For the "version sticklers" among us, a minor difference to note. I only have a promo 45 for this song, with the hit song appearing, in mono, on only one side of it. It has both a listed & actual time of (2:45). But the two current database CDs which feature this song both run only (2:41).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks for passing this info along to a fellow "version stickler", Jim. It's great to have your contributions back on the message board!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Jim,
My copy, like yours is a one-sided promo but it's not the typical ATCO promo copy...it's a plain white label with only title, artist & catalog # printed on it. No ATCO logo, run time or any other info.

It seems to be a slightly different mix than what's on the Rhino "Have A Nice Day" CD...one noticeable difference are some chimes (?) in the intro just before the vocal that are present on the CD but not the 45. I don't have the commercial 45 to compare the mix between the two.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Chances are that the commercial 45 is the same as the promo 45 because off the top of my head I'm not aware of any Top 40 singles in 1970 that had unique mixes serviced only to radio (though I could be wrong). At any rate, Hykker, it looks like you've made an intriguing discovery regarding the mix on the "Oh My Oh My" promo 45 and I look forward to seeing us get to the bottom of it!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
it's not a typical ATCO promo copy...it's a plain white label with only title, artist & catalog # printed on it. No ATCO logo, run time or any other info.

Hykker, You have a test pressing, which isn't always identical to what ends up on the actual promo 45s. Hang on to that puppy!

I worked at a station that played imported ABBA 45s before Atlantic released them here. Looking for our input, Atlantic sent us several copies of a 3:25 test pressing of "Take A Chance On Me." The test pressing had a really bad edit, and we suggested that they redo it. The much-improved official promo 45 ran 3:30.

Labels often sent test pressings and acetates to radio if time was of the essence, particularly if they needed to get adds before any stock or promo copies were ready. Key R&R and Billboard reporting stations that carted up test pressings for initial airplay may not have necessarily gone back to redub them when the official promo copies arrived, providing for one more database can of worms.

Edited by Yah Shure on 10 September 2012 at 6:39am
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 6:26pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:

Hykker, You have a test pressing, which isn't always identical to what ends up on the actual promo 45s. Hang on to that puppy!

Alas, this one has stickers & writing on the label from the station it came from.

Oddly, the station it came from was a small market AC, not exactly on any label's "rush" list.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

The comments about the mono version by the above posters all refer to the US promo 45. Has anyone been able to confirm that the US commercial 45 is mono? The reason I ask is that I have both the Canadian commercial 45 (which has the same label number as the US 45, Atco 6722) and the US Atlantic 'Oldies Series' re-issue 45 and both are stereo (the label on the latter incorrectly states 'mono'.) It would be quite unusual for these two to be stereo while the US commercial 45 is mono.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2012 at 1:39pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Paul C wrote:
Has anyone been able to confirm that the US commercial 45 is mono?

I can. The commercial copy I bought in 1970 (pressed by Plastic Products) is mono. Deadwax is 69-C-17805 - 14. There's no mono designation on the label.

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2012 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote Paul C

Yah Shure wrote:
Paul C wrote:
Has anyone been able to confirm that the US commercial 45 is mono?

I can. The commercial copy I bought in 1970 (pressed by Plastic Products) is mono. Deadwax is 69-C-17805 - 14. There's no mono designation on the label.

Thanks, Y.S.
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:
The commercial copy I bought in 1970 (pressed by Plastic Products) is mono. Deadwax is 69-C-17805 - 14. There's no mono designation on the label.

Does yours have the chimes in the intro just before the vocal?

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Hykker wrote:
Does yours have the chimes in the intro just before the vocal?

No, it doesn't have any chimes there.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just folded down the cd version and compared it to my
commercial 45 and it sounds spot on.....except the cd
version dumps the song early......i don't think there is a
lp/45 difference unless someone can tell me exactly where
they are hearing the difference....i don't hear any chimes
on the cd fold down or my commercial 45....

Edited by edtop40 on 04 June 2017 at 3:56pm

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 June 2017 at 8:32pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Ed, here's where the chimes are on the stereo version on both Super Hits Of The '70s, Vol. 6 and From Crayons To Perfume: Best Of: (Note that the chimes are only on the stereo version and only in the right channel):

1.) From 10.9 to 13.9. The first two chimes only last about one second, from :10.9 to :11.9, and are really soft, and while I can hear them in stereo, I can't when they're summed to mono (which isn't that surprising for someone who has what is classified as "profound" hearing loss.) The three chimes that follow, from :12.6 to :13.8, are noticeably louder, and I have no trouble hearing them both before and after summing.

2.) From :16.1 to :17.0, beginning just before and continuing as Lulu sings "I'll play the." These are also audible before and after summing to mono.

Keep in mind that your "equipment profile," as they call it in Steve Hoffmanland, can make a difference in what you're able to hear. When I first started converting vinyl to CD in 1996, I was using a pair of Bose Roommate speakers as monitors. An upgrade to a pair of professional level headphones four years later immediately revealed ticks and pops that I'd never noticed on the Roommates.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version