Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Steel Breeze - You Don’t Want Me Anymore Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 24 April 2008 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'm wondering if there might be a 45 mix and LP mix for this song. The promo 45 I'm listening to has two versions. One side has a printed time of (3:23) and actual time of (3:25). The runout groove has PB-13283-D-2s. This mix has more reverb on the opening synth and the drums have lots of reverb. I don't know if this mix is on CD.

The other side has a printed and actual time of (3:27), and the runout groove reads PB-13283-A-4s. This side has less reverb on the opening synth and the drums are relatively dry. This mix appears on the Lost 45s of the 70s and 80s CD.

Can anyone help out on this one?

Edited by aaronk on 25 April 2008 at 1:16am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 April 2008 at 11:56pm | IP Logged Quote abagon

I apparently feel there is the difference between the 45 and the LP. The 45 has the thick sound in the bottom end, especially.And the electric guitar and the synthesizer are featured on the 45.The matrix number in the runout groove of my stock commercial 45 copy is "PB-13283-A-4s"(running time (3:27).The actual LP running time is (3:27),too.
Great detection.I'm happy...thanks to aaronk.
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 April 2008 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Abagon, thanks for your added info. Is it my understanding that you're hearing a difference between the LP and 45?

I had to correct my post above, because I had the two mix descriptions switched. The version you have on your stock 45 running (3:27) is the one that I have on CD. The one with more reverb on the promo 45 is still a mystery. It might be exclusive to the promo 45.

Edited by aaronk on 25 April 2008 at 1:22am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2008 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Have loved Steel Breeze since the first time I heard "You Don't Want Me Anymore" on top 40 radio in the Summer/Fall of '82. (Yet another truly "lost" '80s classic that you folks here have been bringing up lately!) For the record, the band originally released the song independently in 1981, before signing to RCA. And unlike RCA 13283, that original indie 45 came w/ a picture sleeve, and featured a different B-side (not "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight")...

About a year ago, I was searching eBay when I accidentally stumbled across a fellow selling a copy of that obscure 45, as I wasn't previously aware of its existence. I don't normally collect vinyl, but I couldn't pass it up - and w/ no competition, I won it for a very decent price. :-) Alas, it's currently packed away in storage, so I don't have it right here in front of me as I type this, or else I'd give more specific details. Although I won't swear to it, I believe it's a different mix/recording from the later RCA 45/LP...

But because I knew it was so rare - I'd be shocked if more than 50 or 100 copies still exist today - after receiving it from the seller, I quizzed him as to where/how he'd obtained it. Turned out he was the original owner, and had bought it directly from the band at a show on the west coast (they were from Sacramento) while they were still basically unknowns in '81 or early '82. He also said that while he had it listed on eBay, he even heard from the ex-wife of one of the original band members, who apparently had similar questions, lol...

But shhh, don't tell Joel Whitburn or Tim Neely - that original indie 45 of this "power pop" classic isn't mentioned/listed in any of their books... ;-)
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2008 at 6:27am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I have Steel Breeze's self-titled CD (Renaissance 0209), which is the parent album for "You Don't Want Me Anymore". I would think if a dedicated LP mix exists, it'd be on this CD. Later tonight, I'll compare the self-titled disc to the Lost 45's of the '70s and '80s CD (Varese Vintage 5955) and see if I can detect a difference between the two.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2008 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I'm sorry. I was a little confused. I was misunderstanding because there is the different tone quality strongly between my stock 45 and the LP. But I think that both consist of the same arrangement.
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 April 2008 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ok, I've now compared "You Don't Love Me Anymore" on Steel Breeze's self-titled CD to the Lost 45's of the '70s and '80s disc and I agree there's a mix difference between the two. The self-titled CD contains reverb throughout the song, which is most noticable on the drums and vocals, while the Lost 45's disc is a drier mix. Perhaps the most discernable mix difference occurs roughly between the :15-:25 mark... On the Lost 45's CD, both an electric guitar and a rhythm guitar are prominently heard during this ten second passage, whereas at the same point on the self-titled CD the electric guitar is heard but the rhythm guitar is buried in the mix at a nearly inaudible level. Also, the self-titled CD runs 3:23 and the song's pitch is approximately 2.5 seconds faster than on the Lost 45's disc, which runs 3:25.

So in summary, I'm concluding that "You Don't Love Me Anymore" on Steel Breeze's self-titled CD is an LP mix and it matches the side of Aaron's promo 45 single running 3:25. The Lost 45's of the '70s and '80s CD is the 45 mix and matches Aaron's promo 45 side running 3:23.

Good ears, Aaron!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 25 April 2008 at 11:57pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Good work to Todd & Abagon, too! I appreciate you helping figure things out between the two mixes.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Though a run time isn't listed, on the Barry Scott site, Steel Breeze is listed as a 'single edit.'

Lost 45's - Vol. 1
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 6:18am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The Lost 45's rear tray insert also states "single edit", so this may have been the Varese label's way of communicating to consumers that the single mix was used for the compilation. It's definitely not an "edit" in the literal sense.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 April 2008 at 6:18am

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'm a little late to the party, here, but since I'd already listened to everything yesterday and waited until today to post (bad timing indeed!), I thought I'd summarize.

I learned two things: (1) the song doesn't use a click track, which was news to me, and (2) I still like it after listening to it seven times in a row. A fine track, and the last big chart entry for glam/weird producer Kim Fowley (Runaways, etc.)

To sum up:

The LP mix is boomy, which is most noticable on the reverb applied to the snare drum. If it sounds like the snare decay extends well beyond the beat, then it's the LP mix. I have the LP mix on:
  • Steel Breeze LP (RCA AFL-1-4424, printed 3:23, actual 3:25)
  • Promo 12" single (RCA JD-13284, printed 3:23, actual 3:25; B-side is "Who's Gonna Love You Tonight")
  • B-side of promo 7" single (RCA JB-13283; matrix number "PB-13283-D" printed on label, printed 3:23, actual 3:25)
  • Heard It On The Radio Vol. 1 CD (a real CD but I don't have catalog info since my copy is a CD-R dub - they're quite $$$; runs 3:22; this version is the same edit and fade point but runs significantly faster than the others)
The 45 mix has far less reverb than the LP mix. If the snare sounds reasonable, and doesn't draw your attention due to the excessive reverb, then it's the 45 mix. I have the 45 mix on:
  • A-side of commercial 7" single (RCA PB-13283, matrix number "PB-13283-A" printed on label, printed 3:27, actual 3:26)
  • A-side of promo 7" single (RCA JB-13283, matrix number "PB-13283-A" printed on label, printed 3:27, actual 3:28)
  • Barry Scott Presents The Lost 45s Of The '70s & '80s (Varese Vintage VSD-5955, 1998; sound by Bill Inglot & Dan Hersch - they're excellent; labelled as "single edit", runs 3:28)
Note that despite the printed time differences, I hear this only as a mix difference. (My timings may be +/- a second because it's hard to tell when the music ends due to vinyl surface noise.) There's no difference in pitch or tempo (except for the Radio CD) or in fade points, except the tail of the 45 fade is a bit longer than the LP fade.

And 80musicfreak - if you can ever dig out the indie 45, I'd love to hear that version. I have an indie 45 of Steel Breeze doing a cover of "Temptation Eyes" - it's pretty terrific. No record label listed and no date, so it's tough to determine when it came out. That's not in the books either.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 26 April 2008 at 11:53am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 12:13pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Ron, if your Steel Breeze self-titled LP runs 3:25 and is the same pitch and length as your 45, then it can probably be concluded the self-titled CD on Renaissance 0209 is pitched up too fast. That certainly wouldn't surprise me given the Renaissance label's dubious track record with the quality of many of its CDs.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 26 April 2008 at 12:18pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2008 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if the Heard It On The Radio CD has a digital clone of the Renaissance CD version.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 October 2013 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

FYI, Heard It On The Radio Vol. 1 is 1.5% too fast
for "You Don't Want Me Anymore". To get the proper
speed/tempo, slow it down by 1.5%. It sounds like there
might be some noise reduction on this track.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version