Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Soul II Soul - Back To Life Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 October 2005 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I posted info in the Single/Album versions thread about Soul II Soul's "Back To Life." I just searched the new online database, and I noticed that most listings for this song indicate LP version. I acquired the full-length CD for this after posting the info, and I forgot to post my new findings, so here goes:

The LP version found on the CD Keep On Movin' is the one that is mostly acapella, but at (2:40) the drum loop kicks in. This version runs (3:50) and segues into the next track, "Jazzy's Groove."

The version running (3:47) found on 80's Greatest Rock Hits, Vol. 8 and several other discs is actually the 7" Version, although I cannot say for sure if this is the version on the vinyl 45. (This mix is labeled 7" Version on the promo CD.)

The version running (3:29) called the "Acapella Intro Version" is the one reported by Edtop40 to be on the cassette single; this version has never been available on a full-length domestic CD.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 October 2005 at 10:03am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

There is something fishy going on here Aaron. First, my cd "Keep On Movin'" has exactly the same version of "Back To Life" on it as "80's Greatest Rock Hits Vol. 8". Your description of "Back To Life" as found on the cd "Keep On Movin'" is not the same as my cd at all as my version of "Back To Life" does not run 3:50 and definitely does not segue into the following track, "Jazzie's Groove" as there is clearly a complete fade between songs. This leads me to believe that there are two different versions of "Keep On Movin'" that were released -- here is the information on my version: Virgin 91627-2 with runout groove etchings that state
2-91627RE-1 (V)

Now I have the vinyl 45 and the version found on 80's Greatest Rock Hits, Vol. 8 is not the vinyl 45 version! It is the same version that I have on my cd "Keep On Movin'".

Edited by Moderator on 09 October 2005 at 10:04am

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 October 2005 at 9:13pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, here's some info to help solve the mystery. My Keep On Movin' cd is 91267-2 as opposed to your 91627-2. On the inner ring of the CD are the numbers 12/89 1DA5 and 91267. I'm guessing you have the re-issue or a later pressing, as I'm pretty sure the original pressing has the mostly acapella version.

As far as your vinyl 45 goes, it sounds like the vinyl probably matches the cassette single (which has the "acapella intro version"). This version is very close to the one found on your 80's Greatest Rock Hits and Keep On Movin' CDs, but the intro is slightly different. The version you have on 80's Greatest Rock Hits and Keep On Movin' is the 7" Version that I described above, which does fade out at the end.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 10 October 2005 at 6:05am | IP Logged Quote Moderator

My error on the catalog number as it is the same as yours, 91267. I'll just have to look for the version without the RE on the inner ring.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 October 2005 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote Moderator

I have obtained the original pressing of the "Keep On Movin'" cd and there are definitely two different pressings of this cd. I have already changed the database to reflect this situation.

rickduran
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote rickduran

Does anybody know if the 3:29 version is available on the 3 track 3" single UK single from 1989? The catalog number is TENCD265. If not, can it be found on any other single other than the promo. Thanks
Back to Top View rickduran's Profile Search for other posts by rickduran

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 8:14pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Rick, the 3:29 version is NOT included on the CD single, it's the usual 3:47 single mix.

I have both pressings of the album, the one I bought when the album first came out has the acapella version (not the acapella intro version from the single), and the later pressing has the now more easily found 7" version.

Edited by elcoleccionista on 20 June 2006 at 8:19pm
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 9:28pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

As far as I know, Rick, the Acapella Intro version (aka the 45 version) was only available on the promo.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 June 2006 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

Brian, I had a commercial US cassette single and the Acapella Intro version was included on it (backed with the instrumental).

It was also available on side 1 of the US commercial 12" single.

Edited by elcoleccionista on 20 June 2006 at 11:13pm
Back to Top View elcoleccionista's Profile Search for other posts by elcoleccionista

Jeff H.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote Jeff H.

Although the original US cassette,7" & 12" vinyl singles(Virgin 99171-7/4)have a version that runs 3:29, that was not the one that was widely heard on the radio back in 1989. Another version of the song that runs 3:40 that cuts part of the acapella intro and has part of the instrumental intro rearranged is the version that is featured on nearly all compilations that have the song. This cut of the song was first released in the UK as a 7" vinyl single(TEN 265). For whatever reason Virgin Records in the US did not follow suit and ended up releasing the wrong version in the single format. The "hit" version of "Back To Life" first appeared in the US on the second pressing of the CD. If I remember correctly both pressings of the CD had the same catalog number(Virgin 91267-2), but the matrix number around the center ring was the only thing to distinguish the change.
Back to Top View Jeff H.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jeff H.

elcoleccionista
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 5:04pm | IP Logged Quote elcoleccionista

The version that was released for the single in UK makes much more sense as a 45 version than that acapella intro issued on the US singles, go figure.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2006 at 5:06pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

elcoleccionista wrote:
Brian, I had a commercial US cassette single and the Acapella Intro version was included on it (backed with the instrumental).

It was also available on side 1 of the US commercial 12" single.

I meant only issued on CD on the promo.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 May 2016 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I found a sealed copy of the promo CD single this past weekend. (Sealed? For 27 years??) It was in a thin-pack jewel case with no artwork, just the disc.

Virgin PRCD2844
Copyright 1989 10 Records Ltd.
Back to life

1. a cappella intro version, printed 3:29, actual 3:28, drums kick in at 0:28, this was definitely not the hit version
2. 7" version, printed 3:48, actual 3:47, drums kick in at 0:09, this was the hit version
3. 12" mix, printed 7:37, actual 7:36

All three run at 101.0 BPM throughout.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version