Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: 2Pac top 40 hits on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 October 2005 at 8:46pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I noticed there were some missing entries/info on the 2Pac singles in the database. I will attempt to provide as much as I can; however, I own very few of the early singles, since they are very hard to find and/or expensive. If anyone has the actual singles, please add your info.

"I Get Around" - at least two DJ copies exist (Interscope PRCD 5105 & PRCD 5188), the former having the LP Version as the lead track and the latter having only the "Extra Extra Clean Version."

Also, the version on the clean Greatest Hits cd was not previously issued anywhere else. It is poorly edited and badly compressed.

Some radio stations also played the 7" Remix, which is the same remix found on several CDs in the database.

"Keep Ya Head Up" - a DJ single was issued (Interscope PRCD 5317) that used the "Edit" as the lead track (4:16). The edit removed parts of the song, as well as added choruses to the end of the song which faded out. This is the version that received radio airplay.

"Dear Mama" - a DJ single was issued (Interscope PRCD 6093) which uses the "Radio Version" as the lead track.

"How Do U Want It" - the clean Greatest Hits cd has the correct 45 version. The clean All Eyez On Me cd has a poorly edited version that was not previously released. The clean version of the album was released in 2001, several years after the original release.

"California Love" - the lead track on the DJ cd single (Death Row DRPS 00001) is the "Short Radio Edit" and is a short version of the original mix. This is the mix that most would consider the "hit" version, since it's the one most commonly heard on the radio, and it's the one used on the video.

Unfortunately, they did not clear the sample rights for Joe Cocker's "Woman To Woman" for the full-length CD release of All Eyez On Me, so the LP version is actually the "Remix" and is labeled as such on the cd tray card.

The "Long Radio Edit" found on many of the CDs listed in the database is another short version of the original mix.

"Changes" - although the database lists both catalog numbers for Greatest Hits, a comment should probably be listed that the clean LP (Death Row 90307) has censored lyrics. This is the same version found on the DJ single.

"Thugz Mansion" - there are three versions of this song, not including censored and uncensored versions, and two of them received significant airplay. The first is the original version, which is featured on 2Pac's Better Dayz cd.

The second is the "Nas Acoustic" version, which is also featured on Better Dayz. Both of the previously mentioned versions were the ones receiving significant airplay, and I believe both versions had videos on MTV.

The last version, which is not listed in the database, is found on the Nas cd God's Son (Columbia 86930). It's also the "acoustic" mix, but this version has two verses by Nas and one verse by 2Pac, as opposed to vice versa on the 2Pac release.

Edited by aaronk on 16 October 2005 at 8:49pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 October 2005 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

on this topic.........does anyone know if the b-side song of "dear mama", "old school" was every released in it's cassingle form on cd...........the cd/lp version runs 4:40 while the cassingle has the "radio version" that runs 3:58.......

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Pat, I noticed you recently made modifications to the 2Pac entry for "Dear Mama," which shows DJ info at the top. I wanted to add that the DJ CD single info you have is for the second promo CD issued, which had remixes of the song. The first promo CD issued was PRCD 6093 (Interscope) and had the "Radio Version" as track 1 and the "Extra Clean Version" as track 2.

I do not own the single, so I cannot verify the run time information for track 1; however, TM Century issued the "Extra Clean Version" on HitDisc, and the run time is (4:38), just like the LP version. I would assume that track 1 is the same, but perhaps someone who owns the single can verify.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 2:03am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I own the two-track promo CD for "Dear Mama," Interscope PRCD 6093. It contains:

1. Radio Version (actual 4:40)
2. Xtra Clean Version (actual 4:40)

I believe the Radio Version was the cassingle version.

However, there was a commercial CD single, possibly even a separate two-track and maxi, which I do own, but can't find at the moment. I know it contained the "dirty" versions of both Dear Mama and Old School. I'll update you on that when I locate it.

Ed, I have looked high and low for a clean version of "Old School" on CD, and have never found one. It doesn't appear to have been issued anywhere except the original album.

And the reason for that is simple: it wasn't a hit. It's unclear why Billboard listed the song as "Dear Mama / Old School," but it was likely because even "Dear Mama" was receiving very little top 40 airplay. This million-selling single attained its high position on the Hot 100 almost solely on sales.

Even Whitburn lists "Old School" as a "sales flip."

Edited by Brian W. on 20 December 2006 at 2:05am
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 5:06am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Guys: Sorry I missed this initial post in '05. I can help a little with promo CD single details:

I Get Around (I never remember us getting in that PRCD 5188 in, although I'm sure it does exist.) As for PRCD 5105:
1-LP Version (listed and actual time 4:19)
2-7" Remix (listed 3:52; actual 3:53)

Keep Ya Head Up (PRCD 5317)
1-Edit (listed 4:12; actual 4:16)
2-LP Version (listed 4:29; actual 4:24)
3-Jibe Tribe Remix (listed 4:33; actual 4:25)

How Do U Want It (DRPD 00005)
1-Clean Version (listed and actual 3:59)
2-Instrumental (listed and actual 4:44)

California Love (DRPD 00001)
1-Short Radio Edit (listed and actual 4:00)
2-Long Radio Edit (listed and actual 4:45)
3-Short Remix Edit (listed and actual 4:03)
4-Long Remix Edit (listed 4:46; actual 4:45)
5-LP Instrumental (listed 4:17; actual 4:11)
6-Remix Instrumental (listed 4:11; actual 4:10)

Dear Mama (PRCD 6093)
1-Radio Version (listed 4:39; actual 4:38)
2-Xtra Clean Version (listed 4:37; actual 4:39)

Dear Mama (Commercial CD single 95774-2)
1-LP Version (listed 4:41; actual 4:38)
2-Instrumental (listed 5:21; actual 4:39)
3-a different track, "Thug Life's Bury Me A G"
4-Moe Z. Mix (listed 5:09; actual 5:16)
5-Instrumental Moe Z. Mix (listed 5:09; actual 5:16)
6-the flip, "Old School" (LP Version) (listed 4:59; actual 4:38)

That's what I got for ya, guys.

Edited by jimct on 20 December 2006 at 5:39am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

jimct wrote:
I Get Around (I never remember us getting in that PRCD 5188 in, although I'm sure it does exist.)

Jim, thanks for that excellent post! I can tell you that PRCD 5188 does exist, because a friend of mine has it. I have a dupe of it, and the listed and actual time is (4:19) for the "Extra Extra Clean Version" of "I Get Around."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 1:02pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian/Jim - does the "Radio Version" of "Dear Mama" even have any words blanked out? The "LP Version" doesn't have any curse words in it, so it makes me wonder if the "Radio Version" is actually just the "LP Version."

The "Xtra Clean Version" does blank out a couple words, but they aren't necessarily curse words. At (0:58) the word "crack" is muted; at (2:03) the word "slangin'" is muted; and at (2:06) the word "rock" is blanked out. Obviously, these words were blanked out because they are drug references. Are any of these words muted on the "Radio Version?"

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 4:11pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i saw this up for sale on ebay......does anyone have this pr cd sgl

2PAC Dear Mama Promo CD Single 3 tracks

Interscope PRCD-6190

3 tracks:

Baby Mama Mix – Extra Clean Version
Big Mama Mix
Black Queen Club Mix

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 4:29pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

edtop40 wrote:
does anyone have this pr cd sgl

Unfortunately, no. This is the DJ CD that Pat references in the entry for "Dear Mama," so I'm guessing he has it.

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

No I don't have it either, I just repeated the information that was on Ebay.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

Paul C
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote Paul C

I've also been looking for the 3:58 radio version of 'Old School' on CD for years. Aside from the cassette single, I've only been able to find it on a Promo 12-inch vinyl single (DMD 2203), which aside from the radio and LP versions of 'Old School', also has the four versions of 'Dear Mama' that appear on the commercial CD-single jimct mentioned, except the label lists the correct times.

As for Billboard's B-side policy, in the mid-1990s it was a complete mess. A B-side seemed to be listed whenever it was receiving any airplay at all. Alanis Morisette's 'You Oughta Know' was listed as a two-sided hit with 'You Learn' about a year after the former had been a radio hit and eventhough the version of 'You Oughta Know' on the B-side of 'You Learn' (at least on the CD and vinyl singles - I don't know about the cassette single) was a live recording from the Grammy telecast. And Jewel's 'Foolish Games' was only listed as the B-side of 'You Were Meant For Me' after a reader pointed out that it was in fact the latter song's B-side. It had actually already been getting airplay for months. Finally around 1997, Billboard instituted a policy that required a B-side to be on the Top 75 airplay chart to be listed on the Hot 100. Since November of 1998, of course, the Hot 100 has been a list of songs - not records - and 2-sided hits are listed separately.

I have three more 2Pac promo CDs:(I have not verified the printed times.)

Changes (INT5P-6488)
1. Radio edit (4:29)
2. Album version (4:29)

Runnin (INTR-11042-2)
1. Clean version (3:48)
2. LP version (3:48)

Thugz Mansion (INTR 10879-2)
1. Radio Edit Clean (3:59)
2. Nas Acoustic Radio Edit Clean (3:57)

Edited by Paul C on 20 December 2006 at 9:29pm
Back to Top View Paul C's Profile Search for other posts by Paul C

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

aaronk wrote:
Brian/Jim - does the "Radio Version" of "Dear Mama" even have any words blanked out? The "LP Version" doesn't have any curse words in it, so it makes me wonder if the "Radio Version" is actually just the "LP Version."

The "Xtra Clean Version" does blank out a couple words, but they aren't necessarily curse words. At (0:58) the word "crack" is muted; at (2:03) the word "slangin'" is muted; and at (2:06) the word "rock" is blanked out. Obviously, these words were blanked out because they are drug references. Are any of these words muted on the "Radio Version?"
No, Aaron, all three of those words are clearly heard on the "Radio Version." I will shoot this version out to you; your expert ear will quickly be able to discern if the "LP Version" and "Radio Version" are, in fact, one and the same.

Edited by jimct on 20 December 2006 at 9:42pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 20 December 2006 at 10:42pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks to Jim, I was able to hear the "Radio Version" of "Dear Mama." I'm very familiar with this song, and I cannot tell any difference between this version and the LP version. I didn't do an A/B comparison, but I've heard this record so many times, I'm sure I would've spotted a difference right away.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 February 2008 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

I've also been looking for the 3:58 radio version of 'Old School' on CD for years. Aside from the cassette single, I've only been able to find it on a Promo 12-inch vinyl single (DMD 2203), which aside from the radio and LP versions of 'Old School', also has the four versions of 'Dear Mama' that appear on the commercial CD-single jimct mentioned, except the label lists the correct times.

hey paul c.....did it come on the commercial 12" release or only on the promo??

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 6:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Ed, the Radio Version of "Old School" only appears on the promo 12". The commercial 12" has the same tracks as the commercial CD single, if I'm not mistaken.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 8:16pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i may need to get one of those promo's for you to remaster!!!

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 February 2008 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I'll keep my eye out for a copy, too.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 August 2017 at 3:00pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

has anyone been able to secure the promo 12" vinyl with the
3:58 radio version of 'old school'?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 31 August 2017 at 10:30pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have a really clean dub from a friend's promo 12" that I cleaned up.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version