Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: elo "twilight" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 25 October 2005 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

can anyone confirm that the song "twilight" is on the cd "afterglow" in it's 3:30 length 45 version??

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 October 2005 at 5:34pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Well, sort of, Ed. Prologue & Twilight are together here, as on the LP. Twilight is track 2, and runs 3:30 after the track changover. But it isn't separate as just the 45 version, hope that helps.
-MM
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 June 2010 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as jet 02559 states a run time of 3:29 but actually runs 3:28.....and clearly not 3:24 as indicated in the db.....this should be revised....

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 December 2011 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding its appearance on the Electric Light Orchestra Afterglow box set (Epic Associated 46090), "Twilight" is not the "LP version faded :09 early" as currently stated in the database. There is actually what's called the "Prologue" from the preceding track that seamlessly segues into the song's intro, just like on the vinyl LP. Thus, the shorter 3:32 length of "Twilight" on the Afterglow box set is the result of where the track indexing begins and is not due to an early fade. (The combined total run time of "Prologue" and "Twilight" is 4:47.)

I'm thinking it may not be a bad idea for the database to have some sort of notation regarding the "Prologue" as it pertains to the LP version in general. But I notice not all "Twilight" CD entries with an "LP version" comment have the "Prologue" preceding it. So are there any other discernible differences between the 45 and LP version?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote abagon

I have both the commercial 45 and the parent LP "Time" (Jet FZ 37371).
The record label of vinyl LP "Time" states the following.

Side A
1. Prologue 1:16
2. Twilight 3:42
3. Yours Truly, 2095 3:11
4. Ticket To The Moon 4:07
5. The Way Life's meant To Be 4:38
6. Another Heart Breaks 3:48

-------------------------------------------
The combined total run time of "Prologue" and "Twilight" on the vinyl LP is 4:40.
1. Prologue (actual: approximate 1:08)
2. Twilight (actual: approximate 3:32)
Also, "Twilight" tracks into the next selection on the vinyl LP.
I compared two, don't feel any differences.
So, we can make the 45 from the LP by a fade in and a fade out. The actual running time becomes just "3:28".

--abagon

Edited by abagon on 28 December 2011 at 7:36am
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Todd I must disagree with you on your comment. All cd's in the database have a portion of "prologue" leading into the actual track "Twilight". On every cd, the vocal portion of "Twilight" begins anywhere from :14 to :16 into the track depending on how much of the "prologue" was used at the start of "Twilight". The version on Afterglow does fade :09 earlier than on the "Time" cd to avoid tracking into the following selection. The 45 fades in unlike the LP version and fades out sooner than the LP. So based on the abrupt introduction start on the "Afterglow" cd (rather than a fade in) I feel the comment "LP version faded :09 early" is totally accurate"
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

The version of "Twilight" I use is from the import CD called "All Over the World" and I notate it as the "single version" as that's what I wanted to use. But now I'm wondering if that's accurate. Pat, are you saying that all US CDs that are attempting to eliminate the Prologue and, thus, re-create the single version are actually failing to create the true 45 because there's instrument bleedout (like strings) from the previous track but that there's none on the mix used for the 45?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I see what you're saying, Pat. I think what's causing some confusion here is determining what officially constitutes as the "LP version". I have "Twilight" on an ELO 2-CD UK import compilation called Light Years: The Very Best of (Eric 489039) where the song runs 3:36 and has all traces of the "Prologue" completely removed from the intro, just like on the 45. But when comparing the "Twilight" track from the Light Years import CD to the 45, I found the import disc has a :02 longer fade-in and a :06 longer fade-out than on the 45. Thus, I assumed the "Twilight" track from the import disc to be the "complete, pure, and untainted" LP version where there is no audio from neighboring tracks segueing over the intro or outro.

I know there has been much debate on this forum over the years as to whether a song that segues into another on an LP should be considered a distinct "LP version". I am one who is of the opinion that it should not (I think a simple comment that they segue into each other is sufficient), but I know you differ with me on this, Pat, and of course I respect your final decision on how to handle such cases as these.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 December 2011 at 10:57am

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Response to EdisonLite (I can't get the quote feature to work right now for some reason):

Gordon, I'm not intending to speak for Pat here, but I can verify that no trace of audio from the "Prologue" can be heard during the 45 intro of "Twilight". From this standpoint, I can understand the basis for the "LP version" notations in the database.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 December 2011 at 11:12am

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Can the 45 be recreated from the album version - or is it impossible due to seguing?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2011 at 11:29am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

No. On audio sources where the "Prologue" segues into the "Twilight" intro, the 45 cannot be accurately created from that. However, the 45 can be replicated using the track as it appears on the ELO Light Years: The Very Best of UK import 2-CD compilation I referenced previously.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 28 December 2011 at 11:50am

Ringmaster_D
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2017 at 2:08pm | IP Logged Quote Ringmaster_D

Can anyone tell me timing of the start of the fade so I
can recreate the 45 version using the Light Years
track?
Back to Top View Ringmaster_D's Profile Search for other posts by Ringmaster_D

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login