Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Shambala" - Three Dog Night Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 April 2009 at 9:23am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

The actual commercial 45 run time of Three Dog Night's "Shambala" is 3:26. (Timing info courtesy of Jim. The printed record label time is 3:27.) I only mention this because database CD run times range widely from 3:17-3:32.

By the way, Pat, does the song really run 3:32 on the O.S.T. Drowning Mona CD (Hip-O 314541311), or is this run time a typo? I ask because this is :08 longer than the next longest CD run time in the database.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Yes, the actual running time on O.S.T. Drowning Mona is (3:32).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 5:39pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Was the original 45 mono?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 April 2009 at 7:17pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Yes, the original stock 45 was mono. DJ copies had a stereo side but it was electronic stereo, different process than the electronic stereo used on the LP. I have always heard they were in such a hurry to release it that they never mixed it to real stereo.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 4:47pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

The writer of "Shambala", Daniel Moore, was a close friend of RCA artist B.W. Stevenson, who both knew of and recorded "Shambala" first. His 45 version debuted on the Hot 100 on 5/12/73, one week before 3 Dog Night's version did on 5/19/73. Dunhill/ABC knew that EVERY day Stevenson's version was out there on 45, and Cory's/Danny's/Chuck's version wasn't yet, that the "Dogs" could lose out on the hit. I read somewhere, years ago, that the "Shambala" effort may have been the biggest "rush release" in the label's history. Once they had the all-important mono 45 mix completed, they just "faked" a stereo version for the other side of the DJ 45, just to get copies into radio's hands absolutely ASAP.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 April 2009 at 9:54pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

There was even an earlier alternate mono mix that leaked out there; I have no idea if if leaked on tape dub, acetate, promo, or select commercial releases (but I have a dub of it).

Andy

By the way, Bill, what kind of rechannelling was used on the promo? Was it Orban Stereo Synthesizer sounding, reverb-added, or what?
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 4:20am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Well, on my copy it's hard to tell if it's re-channeled at all. I think I notice a hint of the bass being boosted slightly for one channel. But it might just be mono, just slightly off to the right. Or I'm just hearing wear. It certainly isn't the duophonic type effect heard on the LP.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 April 2009 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

In comparing the "stereo" and mono sides of my DJ 45, they're both straight mono, and run an identical 3:26. The difference is that the mono side is more compressed, and is cut about 28% louder than the "stereo" side.

The story, at least according to the liner notes from the Celebrate CD:

Cory Wells: "That one had all kinds of repercussions. An unethical song pitcher pitches me the tune, and I tell him to freeze it. He takes it to B.W. Stevenson. You see, people wanted to know what we were gonna do so they could beat us out."

Chuck Negron: "Cory and I had a big fight, because I didn't want to put it out as a single. I said, 'You are letting RCA, who had Stevenson, decide our next single' instead of releasing the album and letting radio and the public decide."

Richie Podolor (producer): "We had two days to do it. Michael (Allsup) did one overdub, but I ended up playing seven guitar parts because not everybody was available. It was such a rush-rush thing. We used helicopters to fly out acetates to DJs to get that going. We didn't have it pressed, and we were reviewed and we had a hit with it, just hand-carrying it to stations."

There's more drama there than on your average daytime soap! :) It must've been fun north of the border, where Dunhill was distributed by RCA.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

Gary Mack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2009 at 5:28am | IP Logged Quote Gary Mack

I wrote this for BSN some time ago and have updated it here:

B.W. Stevenson recorded Shambala first, then Three Dog Night did a very rushed version and ABC/Dunhill raced all over the country delivering advance copies to key top 40 stations. Ours arrived at KRUX/Phoenix an hour or so after I got off the air at 2am - and we added it to our playlist a few hours later. That's still one of the classic "hustle" stories in the record promotion biz.

GM
Back to Top View Gary Mack's Profile Search for other posts by Gary Mack

Citizen
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2009 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Citizen

AndrewChouffi wrote:
There was even an earlier alternate mono mix that leaked out there; I have no idea if if leaked on tape dub, acetate, promo, or select commercial releases (but I have a dub of it).

I heard that on a May 1973 aircheck of WRKO in Boston. The main difference is that the short instrumental break prior to the third verse doesn't contain the guitar solo that became familiar on the commercial version.
Back to Top View Citizen's Profile Search for other posts by Citizen

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2009 at 6:07pm | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

To Citizen, et al.:

The version that you (and I) are talking about is the one on O.S.T. 'Drowning Mona'!

I recently bought a copy of it to check.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2009 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I'd always wondered what the deal was, with two versions of the song hitting the charts within a week or two of each other - thanks, all, for the story! The B.W. Stevenson version really isn't bad, either - it sounds just like "My Maria"!

I noticed that Rock On 1973 has the mono version, and that it sounds WAY better than the cruddy (E) version on Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1973 Take Two. I don't use the phrase "night and day" often, but it's completely warranted here.

Nothing good has ever come of the (E) designation...

Edited by crapfromthepast on 16 September 2009 at 7:32pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 September 2009 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast wrote:
Nothing good has ever come of the (E) designation...

Agreed. I never seek out anything in electronically re-channeled stereo. Not a fan of it at all.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version