Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ben folds five "brick" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 January 2010 at 6:58pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

although not in the db because it was an airplay only hit, peaking at number 19 in early 1998, the song "brick" by ben folds five was non the less a hit....i have a promo cd single issued as 550 music bsk-2967 with the below tracks

1-radio mix (listed and actual 4:31)
2-album mix (listed and actual 4:31)

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 January 2010 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I'd never realized there was a separate radio mix. Can you describe the difference?
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 February 2010 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I got to hear Ed's dub of the radio mix, and to my ears, there's nothing major different. The waveform looks different, so I assume there are some EQ or compression differences, and the radio mix runs a smidgen slower.

A couple other observations:
-For any TM Century fans, the version on Golddisc 721 is virtually identical to the original "Whatever And Ever Amen" CD, except for the final few seconds, after the last false ending, which TM seems to have advanced a few milliseconds.

-The speed on the remastered "Whatever" disc is slightly off from the original 1997 pressing.
Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 August 2023 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I spent more time than I cared to with this song, but I figured stuff out!

Album Mix

Found on:
  • the Ben Folds Five full-length Whatever And Ever Amen (1997)
  • TM Century track no. 00017946 (1997?) - digital clone of Whatever And Ever Amen
  • Razor & Tie's Non Stop '90s Rock (2001) - differently EQ'd digital clone of Whatever And Ever Amen
  • the rare promo collection Epic 50th Anniversary Collection Disc 2 (2003) - digital clone of Whatever And Ever Amen
  • Rhino's Whatever The '90s Pop And Culture Box Disc 7 (2005) - same analog transfer as Whatever And Ever Amen but not digital clone
  • Realm's 3-CD Best Of Modern Rock Vol. 2 (2003) - different analog transfer of same source tape
  • the 2005 reissue of Whatever And Ever Amen - louder than the 1997 release, and clips quite a bit in the loud portions. It runs a teeny bit slower than the 1997 release (by 0.06%, if you must know. That's less than 0.2 seconds over the length of the whole song. Insignificant.)
Radio Mix

I had to work pretty hard to find the difference between the Radio Mix and the Album Mix. On the last note of the song, the Album Mix has a rumbly bass sound behind the piano, while the Radio Mix dials back the rumbly bass and has just a clean piano. The bass levels may be tweaked throughout the song (really hard to tell), but it's most noticeable on the very last note of the song.

The Radio Mix also runs slower than the Album Mix by about 0.03%, for a difference of about 0.1 seconds over the full length of the song. The speed difference is completely insignificant.

Found on:
  • Promo Only's Modern Rock Radio 1997-12 (1997)
  • Promo Only's Mainstream Radio 1998-01 (1998) - digitally identical to Modern Rock Radio 1997-12
  • Top Hits USA's T0409 (1997) - their weekly series; same analog transfer as Modern Rock Radio 1997-12 but not digital clone; also includes 20 kHz cue tone in left channel at end of song
  • Top Hits USA's RH47 (1998) - their recurrent series, 6 per year; same analog transfer as Modern Rock Radio 1997-12 but not digital clone; also includes 20 kHz cue tone in left channel at end of song
  • Hot Hits Pop Vol. 60 (1998) - digitally identical to Modern Rock Radio 1997-12
  • Razor & Tie's 2-CD Cafe Rock (2004) - digital clone of Modern Rock Radio 1997-12, but with additional discrete level changes through the song
...Grueling A/B for four minutes and twenty-six seconds of the song, and the answer shows itself in the last five seconds of audio...

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 April 2024 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

Crap....I find your attention to detail surpasses mine,
which is amazing!....thank you for the terrific explanation
as I listen to the radio mix, fourteen years after I
originally posted it....my god we are all getting old!!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version