Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Paul Hardcastle - 19 Nineteen Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 June 2012 at 6:02pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

There's an odd edit of the 45 version on Virgin/EMI/PolyGram's 2-CD Now 1985 (1993), which cuts out 12 beats from 3:21 to 3:27 - extending from the downbeat just before the second "purple heart" to the first orchestral stab that ends the song. There's a differently-EQ'd digital clone of this version on Skifan Iceland's 2-CD Pottţétt 80's 2 (2001). It's also on the 2-CD Best Of 19984-1985.

I'm assuming that this wasn't the UK 45 version, since there are a few European compilations that do contain the 45 US 45 version. Those include Connoisseur Collection's 5-CD 100 Dance Hits Of The '80s (1990), EMI's Time To Remember 1985 (1997), Disky's 8-CD Greatest Hits Of The '80s (1998).

For the 45 version, soundwise, it's a choice between EMI's Living In Oblivion Vol. 1 (1993) and Rhino's Just Can't Get Enough Vol. 15 (1995). I give the nod to the Rhino disc, although both sound quite good.

I've seen this song turn up in Spanish, German, and Japanese, too.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 13 June 2012 at 11:54am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 7:36pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Hey guys.

So I'm listening to the LP version from Time-Life's Modern Rock 1984-1989 compilation, and something seems
very off. Almost all of Peter Thomas' narration appears to be revoiced by someone else.

Are we sure this is the correct LP version?

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 August 2021 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The version on Time-Life's 2-CD Modern Rock Vol. 13 1984-1989 (2000) is a digital clone (2.1 dB quieter) of the corresponding track on Priority's Rock Of The 80's Vol. 15 (1994), which in turn uses the same analog transfer as Paul Hardcastle's No Winners (Chrysalis 41549, 1988).

It is an LP version, but from an LP released three years after the song was a hit.

If you're used to the 1985 hit version, this No Winners version is indeed WAY off. I don't know why it replaced most/all of the narration.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 16 August 2021 at 8:13pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2021 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I dug around to see what the story was with the narration.

A story in The Guardian quotes Ken Grunbaum, the promoter and video editor: "Our legal department had a nightmare getting clearance for the samples; there were no precedents for something like this. We ended up having to pay Peter Thomas, the narrator, royalties."

So it's clearly related to royalty payments.

There's a 6:19 version on the 1985 album Paul Hardcastle (Chrysalis), which was released in the US only on LP and cassette. This album credits Clark Peters for the vocals in the song "19".

A 6:19 version was tacked onto the US CD release of the 1988 album No Winners (Chrysalis), which was released only on CD in the US. The song "19" isn't on any releases of No Winners outside the US. Here, the album credits Peter Addenbrook Thomas for the vocals on "19".

I don't have the Paul Hardcastle album, but I do (or did) have the US pressing of the No Winners CD.

I would bet a nickel that:
  • Both 6:19 versions are the same
  • The credit of Peter Thomas on the No Winners CD is wrong
  • The vocal credit for "19" on the No Winners CD should be Clark Peters
Just guesses on my part.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 17 August 2021 at 3:41pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

crapfromthepast wrote:

There's a 6:19 version on the 1985 album Paul Hardcastle (Chrysalis), which was released in
the US only on LP and cassette. This album credits Clark Peters for the vocals in the song "19".

A 6:19 version was tacked onto the US CD release of the 1988 album No Winners (Chrysalis),
which was released only on CD in the US. The song "19" isn't on any releases of No Winners
outside the US. Here, the album credits Peter Addenbrook Thomas for the vocals on "19".

I don't have the Paul Hardcastle album, but I do (or did) have the US pressing of the No
Winners
CD.

I would bet a nickel that:
  • Both 6:19 versions are the same
  • The credit of Peter
    Thomas on the No Winners CD is wrong
  • The vocal credit for "19" on the No
    Winners
    CD should be Clark Peters
Just guesses on my part.

Interesting. Although the 1985 Paul Hardcastle album is gettable on iTunes, the recording of "19" is marked
as "(New)". So it's also conceivable that due to the royalties for paying Peter Thomas, the original LP version did
have Thomas' narration, but it had to be swapped out in subsequent releases and in any digital release.

And then there's Maude, I mean, this: :)

There's also a YT video with a 1985 Extended Mix that matches the mix of the 45, has Thomas' narration, but runs
(6:24), or 5-6 seconds longer than what was listed as the LP version time. Not to mention it ends differently than
either the 45 or the No Winners version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29MflEkXYFo&t=21s

Edited by sriv94 on 17 August 2021 at 3:44pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 November 2021 at 3:35pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

I don't think the 1985 LP version of 19 ever made CD based on what everyone is saying. Does anyone have the LP from 1985 off Paul Hardcastle to compare?

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 2:17pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

I have the Paul Hardcastle LP (BFV 41517) and it has the Clark Peters narration, same as on the No Winners CD. Ron gets a nickel.
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 April 2024 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I envision a '90s-era hip-hop video of me celebrating my nickel.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version