Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Madonna - The 45 Versions on CD Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 05 January 2005 at 4:20am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Believe it or not, almost every one of Madonna's regular (meaning two-track) singles have been released as vinyl 45s in the U.S., and all but two of those have appeared on CD in their 45 versions. But some are only available on promos, imports, and out-of-print CDs.

It's important to know, as Pat has noted, that none of the versions on "The Immaculate Collection" are the original mixes, with the exception of "Justify My Love" and "Rescue Me." Everything else was specially remixed for that album in Q-Sound, a short-lived "3D" sound process. Most of the Q-Sound mixes were patterned after the dance remixes of the songs, especially "Holiday," "Like a Virgin," "Into the Groove," "Like a Prayer," and "Express Yourself."

Here is a rundown of what's out there if you're willing to look. I have highlighted in red songs where the 45 version has never been issued on a full-length U.S. CD.

Holiday – This, Madonna's first Top 40 hit, was her third single (following a 45 and 12-inch of "Everybody" and a 12-inch only for "Burning Up/Physical Attraction"). The 45 of "Holiday" was a 4:06 Edit of the LP version, though the label inaccurately lists it as 3:50.

To my knowledge, this LP Edit of "Holiday" has appeared on CD only once: on the 1997 Japanese Madonna CD Single Collection, a roughly 9" by 9" by 4" black cardboard box, holding 40 two-track CD3 singles, her entire singles catalog from Japan at the time. Each disc comes in a mini cardboard sleeve, a reproduction of the original Japanese picture sleeve, with an inner sleeve made of mylar and "fuzzy paper" to protect the disc. Each disc contains the original Japanese 45 version (which usually, but not always, matched up with the U.S. single versions) coupled with its original B-side. Issued by Warner Japan, WPDR-3100~9, it fetches anywhere from $300 to $500. (I believe the list price was $289 U.S.) It is very hard to find the outer box in mint condition—the edges of the black surface seems to scuff easily.

Borderline– A 3:56 edited remix, similar to the extended dance remix. And a rather extreme edit at that -- cutting out the second half of each chorus ("keep on pushin' me baby, don't you know you drive me crazy") and the bridge ("look what your love has done to me..."). All known compilations feature the "Immaculate Collection" Q-sound remix, which closely matches, but does not exactly match, the 45 version (it is a different mix, after all). The true 45 version is again found only on the Japanese "CD Single Collection."

Lucky Star – The 45 was a 3:51 edit (though the label said 3:45) of the 5:30 LP version, and has probably never appeared on CD. Sadly, the Japanese 45 used the LP version, so that is what is included in the "CD Single" boxed set. The Q-Sound mix on "Immaculate collection matches the edit points, but fades about 15 seconds earlier than the true 45 version. The only place to get the 45 version in digital format is on the OOP laserdisc of Madonna's "Immaculate Collection" video. The sound is a bit flat, and the fadeout quite hissy, but it's the only place I know of to get a digital copy of the 45 version. The song is on the TM Century "HotAC" radio compilation, but their web site lists the running time as 3:40. If that is accurate, it is not the full-length 45 version.

Like a Virgin – 45 was the "Like a Virgin" LP version. There was no remix/edit released, only an extended remix.

Material Girl – 45 was the "Like a Virgin" LP version. No remix/edit was released.

Crazy for You – The 45 length did not appear on CD until the Madonna collection "Something to Remember" was issued. It runs about 4:01, the same mix as the "Vision Quest" soundtrack version, but fading some ten seconds earlier, although "Something to Remember" seems to be a recreated fade-out. The Japanese "CD Single Collection" uses the full 4:10 soundtrack version.

Angel– The 45 was an early fade of the "Like a Virgin" LP version, running 3:41, backed with a 5:06 edit of the dance remix. Thankfully, this exact configuration was used on the Japanese CD single from the boxed set, which is the only place either version has been issued on CD.

Into the Groove – Though not eligible to chart on the Billboard or Cash Box pop charts at the time, because it was only issued as the B-side of the 12-inch single of "Angel," "Into the Groove" nonetheless was a Top Ten hit. It climbed to #6 on the Radio & Records airplay chart (which was virtually interchangeable with Billboard's airplay chart until around 1991), and was #1 for six straight weeks out of all singles, not just 12-inchers, on Variety's almost completely forgotten and completely sales-based singles chart, which ran from Jan. 1976 through Jan. 1986. (It hit #1 in the June 26, 1985 issue.) Variety ranked "Into the Groove" and "Angel" separately, apparently assuming that most people were buying the 12-inch for "Into the Groove." (The 12-inch was certified gold; the 7-inch containing only "Angel" was not.)

The single version of "Into the Groove" was actually a demo that was remixed and rush-released as a single, so Madonna had it restructured and remixed again when she included it on her "You Can Dance" collection two years later. The Q-Sound mix on "Immaculate Collection" was a shorter version of that remix. The original mix of the song has been issued on a U.S. BackTrax CD single, coupled with "Dress You Up." It can still be found cheaply (WEA, UPC 075992-18782-4). It has also been issued as a CD single in the UK, which is still in print (WEA, UPC 075992-03522-4), though an older German CD with a different track lineup also exists (WEA UPC 0 7599-21141-2 7). It's also available from Japan on both the "CD Singles" box and the still-in-print 5-inch maxi-single called "Material Girl, Angel and Into the Groove" (catalog WPCP-5063, no UPC on my copy).

But it made its very first CD appearance way back in 1985 on the German CD version of the "Like a Virgin" album, sandwiched between "Love Don't Live Here Anymore" and "Dress You Up," Sire 925181-2, UPC 0 7599-25181-2 3.

Dress You Up – 45 was the "Like a Virgin" LP version. A remix/edit backed the promo 45, which has never been issued on CD, but it can be recreated from the extended remix.

Live to Tell – The 45 was a 4:37 edit of the LP version, omitting the long intro, shortening the instrumental break, and fading the song early. The 45 version is still in print on the UK CD maxi-single of "Live to Tell," which contains the LP Version, Edit, and LP Instrumental (WEA, UPC 075992-04612-1). The Edit was also issued on the Japanese boxed set.

Papa Don't Preach – Thanks to EdTop40 for pointing out that the US 45 used the full-length LP version. I subsequently purchased a commercial 45, and it, too, was the LP Version. Many countries issued the Edit version of the song commercially, which was simply an early fade of the LP version, running 3:48. (Which for some reason is what Whitburn lists.) It has only been issued on the Japanese "CD Singles Collection."

True Blue – There's some confusion regarding the 45 version of this song, since Joel Whitburn lists its running time as 3:59, which is the running time of the LP edit on the promo 45. However, I own both the first-pressing blue vinyl and later black vinyl commercial 45s -- both are the full LP version, running 4:16, and both say 4:16 on the label. So I think there is probably an error in Whitburn's book. Whatever the case, that 3:59 version, which is apparently actually 4:04, has been issued on CD, but again, only on the Japanese singles box.

"True Blue" had a non-LP B-side called Ain't No Big Deal, which was Madonna's very first recording for Sire Records. Recorded in 1982, it was originally scheduled as her first single and as part of her first album. The demo of the song is what had clinched her contract with Sire/Warner, but initial attempts at a Sire recording did not quite capture the magic of the demo. So "Everybody" became her first 45, backed with the instrumental, which "Bubbled Under" the Billboard Hot 100 at #107.

It took three attempts at "Ain't No Big Deal," with three different producers, before Sire had a version they were happy with, but too late -- a group named Barracuda had just released its own version of the song on an Epic 12-inch single. So Madonna's version was shelved until the third recorded version eventually surfaced as a B-side. It's in print on the UK CD single of "Papa Don't Preach" (UPC 075992-05032-6) and the Japanese 5-inch maxi single for "Dress You Up" (UPC T4988014302739). It's also coupled with "True Blue" on the Japanese "CD Single Collection."

The US 12-inch single for "True Blue" contained a remix/edit of the title track, which was issued four years later on the 2-disc UK CD compilation "32 Ones on One - Radio 1's 25th Birthday, 1967-1992." This comp frequently appears on Ebay UK for not unreasonable amounts of money.

Open Your Heart – 45 was the "True Blue" LP version. The promo 45 was backed with a remix/edit of the song, which has never been issued on CD.La Isla Bonita – 45 was the "True Blue" LP version. However, the Japanese "CD Single Collection" is the only place to get its original B-side, the Instrumental Remix, on CD.

The promo 45 was backed with a remix edit, which was issued on CD on the WEA UK compilation "Hits Album 6," which frequently appears on Ebay UK for not a whole lot of money. This remix/edit was the commercial single version in much of the world, including England.

Who's That Girl – 45 was the "Who's That Girl" soundtrack version.

Causing a Commotion – The 45 was a remix called the Silver Screen Single Mix, running 4:05, some 15 seconds shorter than the soundtrack LP version. It has been issued on a German CD EP called "The Holiday Collection," which included the LP Version of "Holiday" plus the three hits that were not included on "Immaculate Collection" (True Blue [LP], Who's That Girl [LP], and Causing a Commotion [45]). It's not particularly hard to find. The 45 version was also issued in the Japanese singles box.

Spotlight– Though not commercially issued as a single in the U.S., it was a minor airplay hit, reaching #32 on Billboard's Top 40 Airplay chart. Radio stations were provided with a promo CD of radio-length edits of all the songs from Madonna's "You Can Dance" album (Sire PRO-CD-2892), and this 4:32 edit is the version that was the airplay hit.

That promo edits CD is hard to find and expensive (at least $70 these days), but luckily this was Madonna's first commercial CD single in Japan (which is the only country where it was released as a single). So not only is it part of the Japanese "CD Single Collection," it is also available on its own, with its original B-side: the remix/edit of Where's the Party. (Which some may recall was released to TV as a "best-of" video to promote the "You Can Dance" compilation.) The individual CD single is Warner-Pioneer 10SW-21. You can expect to pay $20-$35 these days for the disc, and it's not terribly rare.

Like a Prayer – Outside of Japan, this was Madonna's first commercial CD single. The 45 and cassette single used a slight remix by Shep Pettibone, called the "7-inch Version," which shortened the intro, subdued the chorus slightly, and added some instrumentation, including a screaming electric guitar on the fadeout.

But the U.S. 45 was unique: It ran some 20 seconds longer than what was issued in the rest of the world. Other countries got a version called "7-inch Version with fade," which was also also used on U.S. promotional copies.

For years, the only place to get the full-length 45 version on CD was the commercial domestic CD3 single, where it was coupled with the 45 B-side "Act of Contrition." Housed in a 3-inch cardboard sleeve matching the 45 picture sleeve, it fetches $30-$50 these days, possibly more in its sealed longbox state. (The longbox was actually flat – the card sleeve was perforated, and you simply tore it off.) It is Sire 2-27539, UPC 0 7599-27539-2 0.

But in 1999, Warner Music Canada issued a compilation called "Time 100 - The Music of Our Lives," and on "Vol. 2, 1980-1999," the full-length 45 version of "Like a Prayer" was finally reissued. I ran across it last summer while shopping used record stores in Vancouver, B.C. I bought Volume 2 on its own. It wasn't expensive. It's definitely cheaper than the old U.S. CD3! The UPC is 0 95483 80662 1. (Oddly, the Japanese singles box uses an early fade of the ALBUM mix! Apparently that was the single version in Japan. I hadn't even known this existed prior to that.)

Express Yourself – Again remixed by Shep Pettibone, who added some instrumentation, extra echo to the vocals, and omitted the line "so you can respect yourself" on the fadeout.

To my knowledge, there's only one CD source for the U.S. 45 and cassette single version, called the "7-inch Remix,"   It was issued on the U.S. promo CD single (Sire/Warner Bros. PRO-CD-3541). It was never commercially released on CD at all – Japan used the LP version for their 45, and all other import CD singles included only the extended dance versions.

The promo CD contained three other mixes, one of them exclusive (the "Remix/Edit," which is almost identical to the "Immaculate Collection" version, but slightly longer and with no spoken intro). The promo CD will run you $50 to $100 these days, maybe even more. The 45 version runs 4:35, though it says 4:30 on the disc.

Cherish– The 45 and cassette single was an edit of the extended dance remix, called the "Fade" version. This 4:02 edit is indistinguishable from the LP version until the a capella break – there isn't one! The same lines are still sung – "Give me faith, give me joy, my boy, I will always cherish you" -- but they're now accompanied by instrumentation. There's also a strange synthesizer "howl" at about 3:42.

It is VERY easy to find on CD -- issued as a CD single almost everywhere but the U.S. and Canada, all containing identical track listings: The "Fade" version, the non-LP track Supernatural (in its original mix; a remix was later issued on the "Red, Hot and Dance" comp), and the extended version of the song (except on the Japan two-track CD3). A U.S. promo CD was also issued with the Fade and LP versions.

Oh Father – 45 and cassette single used the LP Edit, making it the only U.S. single from the "Like a Prayer" album that was not remixed. It starts late, at the first piano notes, then fades about 13 seconds early. 45 says 4:20, actual running time is 4:25. There was a U.S. promo CD single with this version, which goes for roughly $15-$25, and a Japanese CD3, which fetches around $25-$35. Also issued on a radio-only HitDisc sampler, Volume 812A. And it's on the Japanese singles box. The two UK CD singles, which weren't released until the "Something to Remember" comp came out, both contain the full-length LP version.

Keep It Together – Starting with this song, all but one of Madonna's commercial singles were issued as CD singles in the U.S., and are still very easy to find, used or new, on web sites such as Half.com.

"Keep It Together" was drastically remixed by Shep Pettibone for the single, and it is this version, called the "Single Remix," that was the lead track on the U.S. maxi-single (Sire UPC 075992-14272-4). Same version was used for the vinyl 45 and cassette single, backed with the Instrumental, which is also on the CD single. Very easy to find.

Vogue– Originally slated as the B-side of "Keep It Together" before Warner execs heard it and demanded it be released on its own, the 45 version, dubbed the "Single Version," had a completely different intro than the "I'm Breathless" LP and video mixes. Gone was the slow buildup in favor of an immediate dance beat and an added "Whoo" and "What are you lookin' at?" from Madonna that at the time was on no other version of the song.

It's on the Japanese "CD Single Collection," but no need to invest in that if you're just after the single version -- it's the leadoff track on the U.S. CD maxi-single, which is still in print, and it's also on a BackTrax CD single. (But if you run across the rare digipack packaging of the original issue, grab it – it's worth some money.) I don't think this version has ever been issued on a compilation.

Hanky Panky – The 45 and cassette single used the LP version, though the U.S. 3-track CD maxi-single did not include it, instead using a short remix similar to the extended remix.

Justify My Love – The 45 and cassette single used the "Immaculate Collection" LP version (4:59), but again, the song was only issued on CD as a maxi-single in the U.S., which did not include the LP version. It led-off with the Q-Sound mix of the song, which was simply the album version mixed in Q-Sound, plus several extended remixes.

Rescue Me – At first listen, almost anyone would think this single is simply a 4:52 edit of the "Immaculate Collection" LP version, but there are some subtle differences, including different placement of a few sound effects, that reveal this to actually be a separate mix – hence its title, "Single Mix."

It was the leadoff track on the U.S. maxi-single of the song. The 45 and cassette singles used this version for the A-side, but the B-side featured the 5:04 "Alternate Mix," with sparse instrumentation and an added piano. I actually prefer it to the A-side mix. The Alternate Mix was not commercially issued on CD in the U.S.. It was available on the U.S. promo CD and the original Japanese CD3, and is also included as part of the Japanese CD Single box. (Strangely called "Alternative Mix on all Japanese discs.)

This Used To Be My Playground – Issued only as a 45 and cassette single in the U.S., this was released as a CD single in most of the rest of the world, with most CDs containing the 5:06 Single Version, the 6:06 Long Version (which was the B-side of the U.S. single), and the Instrumental. The Single Version was also on the Madonna CD collection "Something to Remember," and is still in print as a BackTrax CD single, coupled with the single/LP version of "Hanky Panky."

Surprisingly, "This Used to Be My Playground" is her second best selling single of the post-SoundScan era (post 1991), with SoundScan retail sales totaling nearly 900,000 copies, a total surpassed in succeeding years only by the million-selling "Music." Strange, since it was her only single of the 90s that was not released as a CD single.

Erotica– It was around this time that CD singles really started to catch on in the America, and that was reflected in Madonna's domestic CD single releases –- most got separate single and maxi-single issues from then on. The two-track CD singles all matched the cassette and 45 versions.

"Erotica" was the full-length album version on the U.S. single, b/w the LP Instrumental. I believe the two-track version is out of print, but it is not that hard to find. The maxi-single contained an LP edit and extended mixes, but not the LP version. The Instrumental was only available on the two-track CD single, and some imports.

Deeper and Deeper – The two-track single in all three configurations (45/cassette/CD) contained a 4:52 edit of the LP version backed with the LP-length Instrumental. It's out of print, but not too hard to find. The more common maxi-single contained the 45 version as well, though not the Instrumental. But if the 45 version is all you're after, it's on her "GHV2—Greatest Hits Vol. 2" CD.

Bad Girl – Madonna's first single to miss the top ten on the Hot 100 since "Holiday" – ouch! Shouldn't have released that "Sex" book a few months earlier, I guess. The two-track single in all configurations contained the 4:38 LP edit b/w the LP version of "Fever," a song which had a video but oddly was never promoted to radio at all. Two-track CD single was UPC 093624-07932-3.

The maxi-single also contained the LP edit of "Bad Girl" along with extended remixes of "Fever." (The video remix of "Fever," called "Edit One," was released only on the German CD single of "Rain," UPC 0 9362-40984-2 3.)

A CD acetate containing Fever Edit One and Edit Two (slightly longer) exists, so perhaps this was planned as a separate single, then scrubbed.

Rain– The single was remixed by Daniel Abraham, who did the radio remix of Amy Grant's "Baby Baby." This also was dubbed "Radio Remix," ran 4:33, and wasn't all that different from the LP mix except that it unwisely cut the dual spoken interlude down to one vocal. The LP mix is better.

The single was issued as a two-track in all three configurations b/w the LP version of "Waiting." (Maverick 054391-85052-2.) The maxi-single also contained the Radio Remix, plus a remix of "Waiting," and a non-LP instrumental called Up Down Suite, an instrumental dub for the song Goodbye to Innoccence, which came out a few years later on the "Just Say Roe" compilation. (In some countries, "Goodbye to Innocence" was the B-side of the "Rain" single.)

I'll Remember – The two-track single was the "With Honors" soundtrack LP version b/w the LP version of "Secret Garden" from the "Erotica" album.

Secret– Two-track single was the 5:05 "Bedtime Stories" LP version b/w the LP Instrumental.

Take a Bow– Madonna's return to #1 after a four-year absence. The two-track single was the 5:21 "Bedtime Stories" LP version b/w the InDaSoul Mix, running 4:56.

Bedtime Story – Even though this song just missed the Top 40 on Billboard's Hot 100, I still consider it to be a Top 40 single, since it made it to #27 on Billboard's Singles Sales chart. The two-track configuration was almost the full-length LP version, running 4:48. But the album has the track segueing in from the previous song, and the single starts just a hair after where the track marker on the album is placed, with no fade-in apparent – it just starts cold on the single. The two-track CD single appears to be out of print, but it can be found without too much difficulty (Maverick UPC 054391-79242-6). The U.S. CD maxi-single and all the import CDs that I know of used the LP edit. It was not released as a single in Japan at all, so it's not part of the Japanese "CD Single Collection."

Human Nature – Another single that missed the Hot 100's top forty, but managed to hit #35 on the more important (in my opinion) sales chart. The two-track single, issued in all three formats, was the shortened and censored LP version, called the "Radio Version," re-edited to replace the last line of the chorus with a reprise of the second line. So in the album version she says:

I'm not sorry
It's human nature
And I'm not sorry
I'm not your bitch, don't hang your s**t on me

and in the single version, she says:

I'm not sorry
It's human nature
And I'm not sorry
It's human nature

It runs exactly 4:30, and was b/w the LP version of "Sanctuary." (CD single was 054391-78822-1.) The Radio Version was also on the CD maxi-single, which is even easier to obtain than the two-track.

You'll See – This was the first of her singles where the "regular" CD single differed a bit from the 45 and cassette singles. The two-track 45 and cassette single contained the "Something to Remember" LP version b/w the Instrumental. There were two U.S. CD singles, but the "regular" edition was three tracks, not two, containing the LP version, a live version of the song "Why's It So Hard" from "The Girlie Show," and then the Instrumental. A separate CD maxi-single was also issued with those same three tracks, plus the Spanish version of "You'll See." I believe the maxi-single is still in print.

You Must Love Me – The two-track issue in all three formats was a 3:05 remix of the "Evita" soundtrack version with a violin intro, whereas the LP version started a capella. The single version has never been issued on an album, to my knowledge. The CD single is super-easy to find – there's a million copies on Half.com. (Warner Bros. UPC 054391-74952-9.)

Don't Cry for Me Argentina – Her latin-tynged disco re-recording of this classic "Evita" song was apparently never issued as a two-track single anywhere in the world. It was only available as a maxi-single, containing -- in the U.S. -- the Miami Mix Alternate Ending (7:59), Miami Spanglish Mix (6:57), Miami Mix Edit (4:29), Miami Dub Mix (6:23), Miami Mix Instrumental Version (6:55), and Miami Spanglish Mix Edit (4:28). But in most countries, the maxi-single led off with the Miami Mix Edit, as did the U.S. promo single, so that is what I consider to be the single version. I don't think it has ever been issued on any album, but the maxi-single is still in print, Warner UPC 093624-38092-4. (Strangely, she used the film's ballad version on her "Greatest Hits Vol. 2"... which is the only version of the song that ever was released as a two-track single, but in the UK only!)

Frozen– The two-track 45, cassette, and CD singles all used the full LP version b/w the LP version of "Shanti/Ashlangi." I think it's still in print. The maxi-singles used an edit of "Frozen," plus remixes.

Ray of Light– The two-track 45/cassette/CD single were all the LP version, b/w the non-LP track "Has to Be." Should still be in print.

The Power of Goodbye– The two-track 45/cassette/CD single were all the LP version b/w the LP version of "Mer Girl."

Nothing Really Matters – Again, missed the top 40 on the Hot 100, but climbed to #27 on Billboard's Singles Sales chart. At this time, most singles were still being issued commercially, so it would have remained Top 40 in sales no matter what. The two-track 45/cassette/CD single were all the LP version b/w the LP version of "To Have and Not to Hold."

Beautiful Stranger – Not a commercial single release in the U.S., the song made it to #19 on Billboard's Hot 100 solely on airplay points. It reached #11 on Billboard's Hot 100 Airplay chart, so it probably would have made the Top Ten on the Hot 100 if it had been commercially available as a single.

So what is the "single version" then? Well, the song was eventually released on a reissue 45 in the U.S. (flip side of "Ray of Light"), and that used the William Orbit Radio Edit (3:58), which appears to simply be an early fade of the LP Version. There were two U.S. promo CDs, one with the LP Version (4:21) only, and the other a two-track leading off with the William Orbit Radio Edit, followed by the LP Version (Maverick/Warner PRO-CD-9760). It was released as a cassette single in the UK, which used the LP version b/w the Calderone Radio Edit.

The commercial CD single the world over was a three-track: LP Version, Calderone Club Mix, and Calderone Radio Mix. I heard a rumor there was a Canadian two-track CD single, in addition to the three-track, that used the William Orbit Radio Edit b/w the LP Version. That would be significant, as her Canadian releases have always matched their U.S. counterparts, but I've been unable to confirm the info, and I now believe this was probably a promo.

So take your pick, but I lean toward the William Orbit Radio Edit being the U.S. "single" version. (As I said, it's the only U.S. vinyl 45 version.) It was eventually released on her "GHV2—Greatest Hits Vol. 2."

American Pie – Madonna's second consecutive airplay-only release in the U.S., though it was a commercial single in most of the rest of the world, including a maxi-CD release Canada. It peaked at #29 on the Hot 100, hitting #23 in airplay. Again, with no commercial release, not even a vinyl jukebox reissue, what is the "single version"? No telling for sure, but every two-track release throughout the world, including the U.S. promo CD single, was identical: the "Next Best Thing" soundtrack Album Version backed with (or followed by) the Richard "Humpty" Vission Radio Edit.

Music– The two-track 45, cassette, and CD singles were all identical, using the 3:44 LP version b/w the non-LP track "Cyberraga." This was her most successful single in many years, with actual SoundScan retail sales (as opposed to RIAA-measured shipments to retailers) totaling over a million.

Don't Tell Me – All two-track configurations were the LP version b/w a remix of the song, the Thunderpuss 2001 Hands In The Air Radio Edit. Still easy to find.

What It Feels Like for a Girl – Apparently released only as a maxi-single in most of the world, there was no two-track single for this song in the U.S. (though I would almost swear I saw a two-track cassette single at the Tower Records in Glendale). Later, the LP Version of the song was put on the flip side of the reissue jukebox 45 of "Don't Tell Me."

So we're again faced with the dilemma – what is the single version when there was no "regular" single? There was a two-track cassette single issued in the UK, which was the LP Version b/w the Above and Beyond Radio Edit, the latter of which is on the U.S. maxi-single. A German two-track CD single was released in this exact configuration. The U.S. promo CD contained 1. Radio Edit (but of what, I don't know; I assume of the LP version), and 2. Album Version. Take your pick. I tend toward the LP Version as the official "single version," especially since that's what was used on the reissue 45.

Die Another Day – A 45 was issued for this song, which was the 3:30 Radio Edit (of the LP version) b/w the LP Version. There was no two-track cassette or CD single in the U.S., but that same Radio Edit was the lead-off track on the CD maxi-single. A two-track CD single with the Radio Edit b/w the 10:08 Dirty Vegas Main Mix was issued in most of the rest of the world, supposedly including Canada, where her singles have always matched the U.S. configurations. (But I've never actually found a copy of the Canadian single.) Understandable why they wouldn't try to squeeze that onto the B-side of the U.S. 45. The 3:30 Radio Edit is the indisputable "single version."

American Life – Identical 45 and CD singles were issued, both using the Radio [LP] Edit of "American Life" b/w the Calderone & Quayle Afterlife Mix of "Die Another Day." Still available.

Me Against the Music (Britney Spears featuring Madonna) – There was no two-track commercial issue of this released in the U.S. in any format, but the lead-off track on virtually every CD and 12-inch vinyl single around the world was the 3:44 Video Mix, so that is what I would consider to be the "single version."

Hung Up - Both the initial iTunes digital single and the lead-off track on the US CD maxi-single are the Radio Edit, running an actual 3:22. After the album was released, iTunes deleted the radio edit in favor of the album version and four remix/edits (NONE of which were issued in CD format, even on a promo), but I would still consider the Radio Edit to be the "45 version." EDIT: Since I originally made this post, I've discovered that all the "Hung Up" remixes, including the remix/edits, have been issued in full-CD quality as Windows Media Lossless files on MusicGiants.com.

4 Minutes (featuring Justin Timberlake) - Madonna's 37th Top Ten hit on the Hot 100 was released as a stand-alone digital single in advance of the album. The hit commercial single was the Album Version, running an actual 4:04.

Radio stations were provided with a CD promo that included both that and the 3:07 Radio Edit (not issued commercially), which, while the same basic mix as the album version, omits Timbaland's redundant 35-second opening rap in favor of a two-second ticking clock. It ends cold with Madonna's final, "Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock," then extending the ticking clock sound effect for a second or two. It is not possible to recreate the Radio Edit from the Album Version.

Give Me All Your Luvin' - Madonna's latest Top 40 hit debuted at number 13 on the Hot 100 and was a top ten seller with only three days of sales, aided by a spectacular (though partially lip-synced) Super Bowl performance and the contributions of rappers Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. The stand-alone digital single was the explicit album version. A second one-track single called the "Party Rock Remix" of the song was released a few days later.

Edited by Brian W. on 23 April 2020 at 3:02pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2005 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

brian.....the 45 version of the song holiday has also apeared on a promo cd single as well....also the song papa don't preach that i have on 45 is the same as the album version that runs 4:26....

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2005 at 7:56pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The "Holiday" promo... is that the British one? I knew that was out there, but I didn't know if it was the original or the remix.

Hmm, I haven't owned the 45 of "Papa Don't Preach" in many years. I guess I'll have to buy it now to double check. Now that I look, Stephen Caraco of MadonnaCatalog.com does list the 45 as being the LP Version. So if that's true, then there were either two different pressings or Whitburn mistakenly listed the promo running time for "Papa Don't Preach" in addition to "True Blue." Interesting. Thanks, Ed.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 January 2005 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Thanks very much for your very thorough and well-documented post, Brian. Given that Madonna is primarily a singles-driven artist, I've never understood why so many of the true single versions of her hits rarely, if ever, appear on CD! Unfortunately, the Japanese CD single box set is out-of-print and very hard to find, so anyone planning to seek out one of these can probably expect to shell out as much as $200 or more! I keep hoping we'll eventually see a Madonna box set here in the U.S. featuring all of her single mixes. Until then, I'll refer to Brian's list to help track down these elusive Madonna 45s on CD.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 January 2005 at 2:56am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Thanks, Todd. I worked on it on and off for almost two weeks, even ordering the jukebox 45s for her recent singles. But why is it I can proofread my writing a million times and never notice the typos, bad phrasing, and run-on sentences until after it's posted? :D

I've heard rumors a Madonna box set is in the works, but we'll have to see.

I've ordered the "Papa Don't Preach" 45 so I can double-check Ed's info, and I'm gonna try to find out which version of "Holiday" is on the UK promo CD.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 11:26am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

As I've been trying to track down the Madonna 45 versions on CD, I can't tell you how helpful this post has been, Brian. I do have a correction to your above post regarding "Borderline." The 45 Version is not actually an edit of the dance remix--at least not the dance remix on the US 12". There's a cowbell and some different reverb on the dance remix that is not on the 45 version. However, the 45 version is much more similar to the dance remix than it is to the LP Version. According to Pat's book, you can get the 45 version on the Time Life CD "The Rolling Stone Collection 1982-1986." (Brian has since updated his post, which no longer reads "The 45 Version is an edit of the dance remix...")

Edited by aaronk on 27 April 2005 at 1:43am
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Also, "Borderline" can be found in it's 45 Version on TM Century's Gold Disc library, although it is pulled from the vinyl 45 as opposed to the master tapes. The sound quality is very good, since they removed surface noise & clicks; however, if you listen very carefully, you can hear that it is from vinyl.

"Lucky Star" is on TM's Gold Disc library, as Brian mentioned above. As far as the running time is concerned, TM lists the run time to tell disc jockeys when to start the next song, rather than the full run-time of the track. So, the version on the Gold Disc is the full 45 version of the song. (In general, the times listed on TM's discs will be about 10 seconds earlier than the full run time for songs that fade out.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just checked The Rolling Stone Collection for "Borderline" and it is the Q-Sound Remix. There is an error in the 8th Edition of Top 40 Music On CD that lists it as the 45 Version.

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

aaronk wrote:
I just checked The Rolling Stone Collection for "Borderline" and it is the Q-Sound Remix. There is an error in the 8th Edition of Top 40 Music On CD that lists it as the 45 Version.

Pat does note in the 10th edition that "Borderline" on The Rolling Stone Collection is the "45 version remixed in 'Q' sound".
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

aaronk wrote:

"Lucky Star" is on TM's Gold Disc library

From vinyl, Aaron?

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 1:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Brian W. wrote:
aaronk wrote:

"Lucky Star" is on TM's Gold Disc library

From vinyl, Aaron?

Brian, it looks like this one is from a CD source, but most likely, the LP Version was edited to match the 45, which is what they did in many cases when 45 version wasn't available on CD. I haven't checked their edits to the 45 to see if they got it right, but it sounds okay to me.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 July 2005 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just listened to "True Blue" from TM Century's library. They have the (4:04) "DJ Edit" version, and it is simply an early fade. Brian, do you find this to be the case with your version on the Japanese singles box, or is there an edit somewhere in the song?

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2005 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Just A/B'd the Japanese CD3 with the album version, and, yes, it is just an early fade of the LP version.

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 September 2005 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Hello All,

I have the 12" single for "Like A Prayer" and it includes a (7" remix / edit). Can anyone confirm that this is the U.S. 45 version described above, by Brian? The mix seems to match the description, but the mix is credited to Bill Bottrell, not Pettibone. The time says 5:41, i haven't timed it myself. It also sounds more than just a "slight" remix, it is very different from the LP mix, and does end with a "screaming electric guitar solo."
I'm curious because I never bought any of the 45's from this album, it was the first Madonna album where I bought the LP first.
I was also wondering if other markets actually played the 45 version when the song was new. In NY, I recall the familiar version I got to know when it was new on radio was the LP version, and it sounded right when I got the album. After that, all the remixes I heard sounded different to me.
-Mark M
Back to Top View MMathews's Profile Search for other posts by MMathews

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I also have the 12" of "Like A Prayer," and the 7" Remix / Edit is NOT anywhere near the 45 version. Actually, the 45 version sounds close to the LP version, but with the slight changes that Brian mentions above.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:07am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here are the "Like A Prayer" 45 version run times:

7" Version With Fade (5:03)
7" Version (5:20)

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 September 2005 at 9:27am | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Thanks very much, aaronk.
I'm glad I asked, I've learned not to trust these descriptions on some 12" singles.
That likely also answers my other question - I probably was hearing the real 7" 45 version on stations back then, but just didn't notice the smaller differences.

-Mark M

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2005 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Whee hoo! I really was starting to think Madonna might never have a major hit again, but looks like the old whore has some life in her yet. After a slow start, Hung Up will climb to #7 on the Hot 100 tomorrow, her 36th top ten, second only to Elvis in the rock era. (Bing Crosby had 58 Billboard top ten sellers between 1940 and 1956.)

The jump was almost entirely due to a surge in single sales -- 54,756 between the download and the CD single. I don't think it's even cracked the top 40 in airplay. Radio has been very reluctant to embrace the song, even though the video is top five on MTV, VH1, and TRL.

Anyway, I've updated my discography with a Hung Up listing.

Edited by Brian W. on 23 November 2005 at 2:38pm

MMathews
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 November 2005 at 5:15pm | IP Logged Quote MMathews

Well,
Madonna - you go, girl!
I helped her chart pos. by 1, I purchased the single as well, being a fan of her recent music. As for the album, those who liked "Ray Of Light" should enjoy this one.
Anyway, in keeping with the theme of this board - the LP version of "Hung Up" is about 1 and 1/2 minutes longer than the single edit, and is the same mix from what i can tell. Great Abba sample.

-Mark M

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 23 November 2005 at 11:58pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

If you check the Radio & Records chart, you'll actually see that the new Madonna record is charting at #17 in top 40 airplay right now. The funny thing is that barely any of the major market stations are playing it. I found one common demoninator: All those stations not playing it are owned by Clear Channel.

The only exceptions I could find were the pop stations in Tampa, Miami & Washington DC (all CC owned). My guess is that those stations are only spinning it because they have competing stations who are also playing it. Still don't think that one executive in the corporate office is deciding which songs make the playlist on every Clear Channel station? How else can you explain it?

Edited by aaronk on 24 November 2005 at 12:01am

Page of 10 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version