Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Guns N’ Roses - Sweet Child O’ Mine Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 06 May 2006 at 1:59pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Does anyone have any info about the DJ versions for "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses. The database says running times are (3:42), (4:18) and (4:53). I know that ALL of the DJ versions are slight remixes.

I have the (4:18) and (4:53) versions from my TM Century library. I've been able to locate a source for the (4:53) version, but I've never seen one for the (4:18) version---neither on CD or 45. Can anyone confirm that the (4:18) is not just a homemade TM edit?

Also, Brian sent me a copy that runs an actual (3:59). Would this perhaps be the same one that Pat is listing as (3:42)? His source was an old Hitmakers radio promo compilation.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eric_a
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2006 at 2:16pm | IP Logged Quote eric_a

I know they used the (4:18) version on American Top 40, although that may have come from a TM or Century 21 Hitdisc at the time. I used that as a reference to create my station's edit.

There was also a Geffen promo CD with the "Remix/Edit" version, listed running time 3:57. There's a copy on Ebay right now, with a picture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Guns-n-Roses-Sweet-Child-O-Mine-US-Promo _W0QQitemZ4876792434QQcategoryZ307QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem

Back to Top View eric_a's Profile Search for other posts by eric_a

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 May 2006 at 4:23pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

The (3:42) version I list in the database comes from a vinyl 45 which I just pulled out to time just to verify my entry and guess what, it reads (3:42) on the label but actually runs (3:58).
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 May 2006 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

(Sorry Pat; didn't see your recent post before typing this)--Aaron & Eric: I only saw one Geffen promo CD single on this (PRO-CD-3147), the one Eric just saw on eBay. Has only one version on it: states "Edit/Remix"; listed time (3:57); actual time is (3:59). I also only saw one promo 45 come in on this; both sides show 7-27963 in the deadwax, and list the time as (3:42). This 45 also states "Edit/Remix", but the actual running time here is (3:59), just like the promo CD single. During these years, IMHO, "Hitmakers" magazine led the way in providing current V/A comps to radio. As reflected in an earlier GNR post, regarding the "wink-wink" that Geffen gave them to put out that custom "November Rain" short edits CD that the band forbade Geffen to issue itself. That was a special case, though. Labels did obviously work together (to a lesser extent) with the mags on these frequent current V/A comps, and would at times give them, or one of the others (Hitdisc, TM, etc.) an "exclusive" version. So, there could possibly be other unique edits contained on one of those. Great - can anyone say "collector/completionist nightmare?"

Edited by jimct on 06 May 2006 at 4:33pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 06 May 2006 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, so the version that Brian sent me is most likely the "Edit/Remix" from the US promo CD & 45. I've seen a listing for the (4:53) version on a US promo; however, the (4:18) still remains a mystery. Anyone?

Also, as Eric points out, the American Top 40 version may have come from TM Century. When we used to air Casey's Top 40 in the mid-90s, the show credits said "some of the music on Casey's Top 40 comes from TM Century HitDiscs."

Edited by aaronk on 06 May 2006 at 7:25pm
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2006 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

When AOR radio was worked "Sweet Child O' Mine" there was a 3-cut promo issued of which at least two versions were remix/edits.

When the track was worked to CHR the short version of that promo was edited down even further (one more edit)& a Number One hit was made...

Sadly, I don't own either promo, so I am of little help to the boardmembers with actual bonafide info.

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 07 May 2006 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just found a listing for PRO-CD-3077, which lists lead track at (4:18 - The All Dayparts Remix), but there is a note that says it has a different playing time than what is listed on the insert. The site does not specify whether they have listed the actual run time or the printed run time. The same notation is made for track 2, which lists (4:58 - Edit/Remix) as the run-time. I can say for sure that this version actually runs (4:53), so I will have to guess that (4:18) is the printed run time and is incorrect. If anyone knows the actual run time of this version, please speak up!

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 May 2006 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I tried to bid on a copy of Andrew's aforementioned 3-track "Sweet Child O' Mine" promo CD on eBay a while back but didn't win. I was under the impression this disc contains three different mixes/edits. Obviously I'm unable to help answer questions regarding the content and run times on this DJ CD. However, I think it's getting pretty safe to say that not all DJ copies of the song run 3:58 as the database suggests.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

fratboy96
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2006 at 7:02pm | IP Logged Quote fratboy96

I must have outbid you for it :D

The listings for PRO-CD-3077 with actual times:

1. The All Dayparts Remix 3:58 (actual 4:18.00)
2. Edit/Remix 4:53 (actual 4:58.00)
3. LP Version 5:55 (actual 5:53.44)
Back to Top View fratboy96's Profile Search for other posts by fratboy96

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 October 2006 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Grrr... I hope my bidding helped make that promo CD nice and expensive for you, fratboy96! (Just kidding... and welcome to the message board!)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 October 2006 at 12:21am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks for the info, fratboy. With the run times you listed, it is now very likely that my TM Century version is the (4:18) edit from the promo single you own. By the way, I did end up finding a copy of the 1-track promo mentioned above. Perhaps someday I'll also be able to get my hands on PRO-CD-3077.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 October 2006 at 1:17am | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Interesting that they misnamed the All Dayparts Remix on the TM Century disc.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 October 2006 at 10:25am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Actually, Brian, the TM Century disc does not list a version on the insert for the (4:18) version. The disc that has the (4:53) version does say "Edit/Remix."

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 November 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

fratboy96 wrote:
The listings for PRO-CD-3077 with actual times:

1. The All Dayparts Remix 3:58 (actual 4:18.00)
2. Edit/Remix 4:53 (actual 4:58.00)
3. LP Version 5:55 (actual 5:53.44)

I just obtained a copy of this promo CD, and the actual times listed in the previous post are not quite right. The times above include the dead space in between tracks. The actual times without the blank spaces are:

1. 4:15
2. 4:55
3. 5:53

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 30 November 2007 at 4:53pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

My 45 (which is from the UK with the 33 1/3 sized hole in the center) is listed as Edit/Remix. (GEF 55 A2) in the deadwax. No listed time, but it runs 3:58.

Edited by eriejwg on 30 November 2007 at 4:54pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 30 November 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

That's the same as the US 45 version, which was featured on the other promo CD that Jim mentions above.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 10:29am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Bringing this old, detailed thread up to the top for Fetta,
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 January 2009 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I haven't checked the database, but to summarize the above info, the 3:42 labeled copies actually run 3:58 and the 3:58 labeled copies actually run 4:15, correct?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 January 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Here's a summary:

Single Version aka "Edit/Remix"
Actual time - 3:58
Can be found on stock 45, promo 45, 1-track promo CD
     promo 45 printed time is 3:42
     promo CD single printed time is 3:57 (labeled "Edit/Remix")
     stock 45 printed time is ?:??

The All-Dayparts Remix
Actual time - 4:15
Can be found on 3-track promo CD with printed time of 3:58

Edit/Remix
Actual time - 4:55
Can be found on 3-track promo CD with printed time of 4:53; not the same as 1-track "Edit/Remix"

RichM921
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 January 2009 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote RichM921

I'm curious. How different is the "All Dayparts Remix"? Do they suppress the guitars or something?
Back to Top View RichM921's Profile Search for other posts by RichM921

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version