Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: O/T: The Eggplant That Ate Chicago Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
NightAire
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 September 2023 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote NightAire

Dr. West's Medicine Show and Junk Band - The Eggplant That Ate Chicago

This track missed the top 40, but almost made the top 50. The source album of the same name claims to have been in released in stereo as well as mono. I don't see any evidence the single (which is the same length as the LP version) was ever released in stereo.

I give so much detail about mono / stereo because I'm listening to this track on the Dr. Demento "Greatest Novelty Records of All Time" collection and I can't tell if this is actually stereo or maybe pseudo-stereo, or just stereo reverb. I'm having a difficult time hearing any isolated instruments panned left or right, but when I try to eliminate the central channel, I still hear a ton of music... suggesting to me maybe one of those comb-filter EQ processes to try to create a fake stereo effect.

I ask all of THIS because if this is fake stereo and I would get closer to the original single by either folding it down or grabbing only one channel (or if there's a clean true stereo source for it), that's what I'd like to do for my Halloween station.

(I also suspect this is a vinyl source based on a "click" early on in the recording... making me wonder if it's a stereo needle playing a mono record.)

Anything know anything much about the channeling and / or re-channeling of this novelty single that was written and sung by Norman Greenbaum (who had more success with "Spirit In The Sky")?

Edited by NightAire on 19 September 2023 at 1:20pm

Owasso, Oklahoma USA
Back to Top View NightAire's Profile Search for other posts by NightAire Visit NightAire's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version