Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Brandy (You’re A Fine Girl)" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 March 2007 at 1:53pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Here's a question for the more discerning ears. I have both the 45 and LP versions of "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" on separate CDs, but I'm having a devil of a time distinguishing them. There's about a nine second difference in run time (at least on those LP versions that run at the correct speed--unlike the LP version found on Rhino's Billboard's Top R&R Hits of 1972), but other than fade I'm really finding it difficult to discern what the difference is.

Forgive me if the answer is obvious and I've just missed it. Thanks.

Edited by sriv94 on 07 March 2007 at 1:55pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Tim Lyman
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Tim Lyman

The most noticeable difference is during the bridge ("Brandy used to watch his eyes when he told his sailor stories," etc.) The 45 version has prominent bongo drums during this part.
Back to Top View Tim Lyman's Profile Search for other posts by Tim Lyman

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 March 2007 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Thanks, Tim. The 45 version is on my iPod; I'll find an LP version to compare it with.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 March 2007 at 8:09pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

The 45 version is faster. It has added congas, and the horns are lower in volume.

Bob Lovely
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2007 at 8:45am | IP Logged Quote Bob Lovely

In addition to observations made by The Hits Man, the 45 mix is also more "wet" than later re-mixes, the low-end is somewhat "shaved-off" and, it is more compressed. This mix, as originally processed, is on the 3-disc SONY budget comp, "Rock On!" released in 2006.

Bob

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 March 2010 at 9:23pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Been trying to untangle what's what on the various compilations I have for this song, so I thought I'd do it chronologically.

The first version to come out on CD was on Rhino's Billboard Top R&R Hits - 1972 (1989). It was the LP mix, played at the original speed of the master, but with a very bass-shy EQ. Probably a high-generation source tape.

Next came the CBS/K-Tel compilation Seems Like Yesterday Vol. 1 (1989). Also the same LP mix, played at the original speed of the master, but with a much more reasonable EQ. Probably a lower-generation source tape than Billboard. Fades a teeny bit earlier, probably to hide tape hiss. A few later CDs used the same analog transfer as SLY, including Razor & Tie's Those Fabulous '70s (1990), Razor & Tie's 2-CD Suddenly '70s (1997; vastly improved EQ on this CD), and Razor & Tie's 1-CD version of Suddenly '70s (2001; digital clone of 2-CD version with level changes).

Next, the version on Rhino's Have A Nice Day Vol. 9 (1990) has the LP mix, but sped up by about 1.7% or 1.8% in an attempt to match the 45 pitch/tempo. This version runs out to the same point as the Billboard CD, but runs about 3 seconds shorter as a result of the pitch/tempo change. Better EQ here than on Billboard.

There's a digitally identical clone of Have A Nice Day on Time-Life's 2-CD Singers And Songwriters - Early '70s (2000).

Finally, the 45 mix appeared on Columbia/Legacy's Rock Artifacts Vol. 2 (1989). It's a different mix, with a lot more panning than the LP mix. The bass is mostly in the left channel on the 45, and is centered on the LP mix. Other differences: the 45 has bongos in the bridge (1:45-2:02 or so), and some of the instruments are brought forward. In particular, listen for the drum fill at 1:29 under the words "The sailor said..." If you can clearly hear the snare that begins the fill, that's the 45. If the snare is pretty well hidden, that's the LP. Plus, the 45 is sped up by about 2.5% over the LP and fades a little earlier in the song.

Other CDs that use the same analog transfer as Rock Artifacts are Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1972: Take Two (1991, awfully flat-sounding EQ), Time-Life's Superhits - 1972 (1991, basically same EQ as Rock Artifacts but with L/R channels reversed) and Time-Life's AM Gold - 1972 (1991; digitally identical to Superhits).

(There seems to be an error in the 1996 version of the book. My copy of Superhits - 1972 runs 2:54, just like AM Gold - 1972, and not 2:46 as listed in the book. The two are digitally identical. I'm unaware of any re-releases for Superhits - 1972.)

If I had to pick the best for sound quality, I'd go with Rock Artifacts for the 45 mix, and Suddenly '70s for the LP mix. Both are played at their proper respective pitch/tempos.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

4TrackJack
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 March 2010 at 7:26am | IP Logged Quote 4TrackJack

Great job with the detailed info. It really helps sorting this all out.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 March 2010 at 2:30pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

Yes, I always appreciate crap's detailed analysis of the various CD pressings. Very helpful.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version