Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Tony Orlando & Dawn - You’re All I Need.. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 November 2007 at 5:32pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

While the database does not contain promo 45 information, I can confirm that both the mono & stereo sides of the Tony Orlando & Dawn hit "You're All I Need To Get By" (Elektra 45432) have a printed time of (3:52), but an actual time of (3:53). This is 14 seconds shorter than its CD appearances of (4:07). Without having either of the two CDs listed in the database, I cannot say if this is a length or version difference.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 November 2007 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Thanks to Jim, I was just able to hear the CD version of this one. It's very interesting that they are not the same mix! Is it possible that the commercial 45 is also a different mix? Here is what I'm hearing:

- Promo 45 is pitched up by about 2.3%.

- Opening note of the CD version is not held quite as long as on the promo 45.

- At 0:03, the 45 has a different bass note than the CD version.

- Lead vocals have more reverb on the 45.

- When the first verse starts at aroud 0:30, there are guitar overdubs on the 45 that are not on the CD version.

There are other slight mix difference I'm hearing during that first 30 seconds; however, there's already enough evidence that we have a unique version on the promo 45. Does anyone own a commercial copy who can verify if it matches my description above? (By the way, the promo 45 fades 10 seconds earlier after the pitch adjustments have been made to the CD version.)
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just heard a copy of the longer promo 45 with a listed and actual time of (4:08). This version matches the CD version from To Be With You. The database will need to reflect that DJ copies run (3:53) and (4:08). It appears that the shorter promo has a completely unique mix.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 June 2008 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Aaron, while doing some routine 45 maintenance tonight, I happened to have accidently discovered that the two different Elektra 45s of this song, that you originally cited above, for some unknown reason, were, in fact, two entirely different releases of the SAME song, and were separated by more than two years! The listed and actual (4:08) promo 45, the one that matches the "To Be With You" CD version, turns out to be the correct, 1975 Top 40 peaking, hit version of the song, on Elektra 45275, that debuted in Billboard on 8-30-75. This later Elektra 45432 45 release #, that Aaron had earlier specified but none of us had picked up on, was actually a late 1977 45 re-release of the song! To put this later single release into the proper time perspective, Linda Ronstadt's "Blue Bayou" was just one 45 release # before this 2nd, again-shown-as-the-A-side issue of "You're All...". "Blue Bayou" was released as Asylum 45431, and debuted on 9-10-77. (FYI, at this time, Elektra & Asylum were sharing the same 45 numbering system.) So, Pat, to me it now appears as if the listed (3:52), actual (3:53) Elektra 45432 45 info, the info that Aaron had originally cited, turns out to ultimately be simply a later, non-charting 45 version of this song. Pat, if you agree with my new information, you should probably amend/simplify the database entry for this song, to reflect this new, "it turns out there was only one 1975 45 version for this song" finding.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Jim has informed me his commercial 45 copy of Tony Orlando & Dawn's "You're All I Need to Get By" has an actual and printed run time of 4:08. I'm passing this along as a supplement to the database, which currently only shows DJ run time info for the song.

Edited by Todd Ireland on 09 May 2009 at 2:59pm
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Todd, I just checked my recent e-mail to you, and it stated that my 1975 45 release of this song has both a listed & actual time of (4:08). Turns out to be exactly the same as the promo 45 info I indicated earlier. Your new post statement of "actual and printed run time of (4:18)" is a typo, my friend - just a heads up to you.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 May 2009 at 2:59pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Right you are, Jim. I've gone back to my original post and changed it to the correct actual run time of 4:08. As you know, I strive to be a stickler for detail but every once in a while my hand-eye coordination fails me at the keyboard. Thanks for the the heads-up!
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version