Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Jon Secada - "Do You Believe In Us" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 12 October 2008 at 6:56pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

From one of Todd's old posts from 2005:

Quote:
Jon Secada - Do You Believe in Us ==> Single length - 3:40. Album length - 3:58. (available on vinyl 45)
Ed informs me his commercial single copy states "hit version", but it is actually just an early fade of the song's 3:58 album counterpart.

I think the single version may be a different mix than the album version.

I have what I think is the album version on Hot Hits Vol. 17 (runs 3:59). Listen to the drum track at the end of the intro, at 0:16. The drums start on a downbeat, and the snare is kinda flat-sounding.

I have a different mix on Top Hits USA RH16 and a TM Century disc (runs 3:40 on TM disc; no particular "Edit" or "Remix" or "Single version" designation on Top Hits USA CD.) Listen to the drum track on this version, at 0:16, and the drums start with two snare hits. Plus, starting at 0:21, there's a clap track over the drums.

I'm sure there may be other mix differences, but the drum track stood out to me as an easy way to tell one from the other.

So, I would think that "single length" and "album length" should be replaced with "single version" and "album version".

Anyone have the promo CD single to confirm?

Edited by crapfromthepast on 12 October 2008 at 6:58pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2008 at 2:01am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Ron, I clearly recall that SBK records, for some reason (probably money) almost always sent us commercial CD singles instead of promo CD singles for Jon Secada songs. I would estimate that this was done for less than 5% of all of our received CD singles at the time. And "Do You Believe In Us" also followed the "usual" Secada pattern, so my info for this is not from a promo CD single, FYI. After a quick listen, they all sounded quite similar to me, but I trust your ear, Ron, so I do think Pat should probably give this song some additional analysis.

Jon Secada-"Do You Believe In Us" (SBK K2-19766)
1-Hit Version (listed 3:36; actual 3:41)
2-Hot Mix (listed 3:57; actual 3:59)
3-Album Version (listed 3:58; actual 3:59)
4-a different song, "Misunderstood"
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 October 2008 at 5:46am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

jimct wrote:
Ron, I clearly recall that SBK records, for some reason (probably money) almost always sent us commercial CD singles instead of promo CD singles for Jon Secada songs.

I seem to recall "Just Another Day" having a dedicated promo single, as there was a radio edit of the song. Not sure off the top of my head if I have a copy, but IIRC it had the edit, album version, Spanish version & a "Spanglish" (part Spanish, part English) version. I'll take a look tonight.

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 July 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Seems as though Crap's question never got answered so I thought I would resurrect this thread. Is there a 45 vs LP version difference for the song "Do You Believe In Love"? Since the "official" 45 version would be the cassette single does anyone have the cassette single that can verify the actual running time and any differences between the cassette single and the LP?
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 July 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as sbk 50408 states on the cassingle sleeve "hit version" (3:36) and to my ears sounds like just an early fade of the full length cd version.....but...i'm sending all a copy of the cassingle for others to review and share their input....i do have this song also on cd single issued as the hit version, but again, they sound the same, but for the fade, to me....

Edited by edtop40 on 21 July 2009 at 8:33pm

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 July 2009 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Thanks to edtop40, I can confirm that the cassette single version is the same as the 3:40 version on Top Hits USA RH16 and a TM Century disc.

I still think it's a different mix than the longer LP version. (Drums start with two snare hits, clap track over the drums starting at 0:21.)
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i will try and re-listen to the two versions side by side again......

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 July 2009 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

Thanx EdTop40 for sending me a dub of the cassingle.

That's the radio mix I remember.

I am looking for a digital dub of the Cd 'Hit Version' & 'Hot Mix'.

Can anyone help me out or let me know where either of these mixes might be currently available?

Andy

P.S. What does the 'Hot Mix' sound like? I just want it in my library because I really like the song & would like all versions of it!
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version