Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: John Fogerty-Rockin’ All Over The World Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 10 August 2010 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote jimct

My commercial 45, which is mono, and confirmed as Asylum 45274 (with deadwax of "EM 45274 A RE5 SP") has a listed time of (2:50) and an actual time of (2:49). The only current database CD that includes the original version of this song (which is in stereo) does run :03 seconds longer, at (2:52). This particular song was brought up in a recent thread, that inquired about which (if any) 1975 Top 40 hits were issued in mono as a commercial 45. The point was later raised that the reason the label may have opted to issue this 45 in mono was because it might contain a unique, dedicated mono mix - in other words, be somehow different from the stereo LP version. I can also see the logic in that argument, as Asylum had already been releasing just about 100% of its 45s in stereo, for at least the past 18 months before Fogerty. Before I go to all the time/effort of shooting out both 45/LP dubs of this song to my good buddy Aaron for his analysis, I'm hoping that another of our Board experts might also own both of the needed sources, and also have the "magic ear" needed to compare/contrast both the mono & stereo versions for any possible differences. If so, thanks!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

PhilMH
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 August 2010 at 1:59am | IP Logged Quote PhilMH

Hi Pat,

Your latest modifications list the John Fogerty album as being issued on Festival 20169; that is a 1997 Australian issue (actually on the Fantasy label, distributed by Festival) and so should not be included in the database. I know this because I have a copy!

And if you're wondering, "Why is it on Fantasy?": as best as I can remember, Fogerty hadn't completely extricated himself from his Fantasy contract at that time (not for want of trying!), and the international release of that album was on that label.   I doubt whether the CD (a budget issue) is still in print here, because Festival was acquired by Warner Music in 2005, and Fantasy was acquired by Concord Music Group (distributed by Universal) at around the same time.

Phil
Back to Top View PhilMH's Profile Search for other posts by PhilMH

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2013 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i found the proper 2:49 running version years ago on cd and
copied it.....the song is definitely available on cd from
overseas....as far as the mix.....the mono 45 and the cdr
version i have sound the same....i don't detect any mix
differences aside from the standard mono/stereo delivery
issues....

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I did not notice any mix differences between the mono &
stereo sides of my promo.

Speaking of Asylum 45s from 1975, was the commercial
single of Orleans' "Let There Be Music" mono or stereo?
My promo has this side mono, but the B side is stereo.
Weird.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 July 2013 at 4:58pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Steve, both my commercial and promo 45 copies of "Let There Be Music" are
identical. "Let There Be Music" is in mono (deadwax "SP EM45243 A-SP",
with a stereo "Give One Heart" on the flip. I would've thought a dedicated A-
side mono mix would be in play there, for sure. But, based on Fogerty, who
knows.....

Edited by jimct on 05 July 2013 at 5:09pm
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2013 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Interesting that this thread has been revived, as I just recently obtained the 1975 John Fogerty album on CD. Mine is also the 1997 edition on Fantasy/Festival D20169 - as PhilMH notes above, this is definitely an Australian import, despite its inclusion in the 10th edition of Pat's book. I've seen CD re-issues from Germany and Japan as well, but it shocks me that to this day, despite two chart hits, the album's still never come out on CD here in the U.S. - and as a result, all of those import versions usually go for an exorbitant amount!

I don't know about anyone else here, but I've been waiting for a decent "Best of..." or "Greatest Hits"-type collection of Fogerty's solo material for quite some time now. In 2005, we FINALLY got The Long Road Home, but it's of course split w/ his CCR hits, not to mention the versions of "Rockin' All Over the World" and "Almost Saturday Night" (second hit from the '75 album) are live. Then in 2007 came The Best of...: 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection, but at just 11 tracks, I found it quite skimpy, and alas, was again split w/ some of his CCR hits - and wouldn't you know it, "Almost Saturday Night" was again live, and "Rockin' All Over the World" was omitted altogether! I'm not aware of any other collections that feature at least some of his solo material, domestic or import...

I'm not a subscriber to Pat's on-line database, but because he should've since removed Festival 20169 from the listing for "Rockin' All Over the World", can I assume that this top 40 hit has still yet to appear on a U.S. CD in its original studio form??? And edtop40, are you saying that you found the song on an import CD other than one of the re-issues of the original '75 album from Australia, Germany, or Japan??? And lastly, it seems we've established that the U.S. commercial 45 of "Rockin' All Over the World" was mono (for no apparent reason, as it's otherwise the same as the stereo LP version), so just out of curiosity, was that also true for the commercial 45 of the follow-up, "Almost Saturday Night", on Asylum 45291??? Any info appreciated...

On a side note, I went to see JF in concert five years ago, toward the end of his Revival tour. Definitely one of the best shows I've ever attended - he sounded better than ever, and really knew how to work the crowd. It was obvious he was having a lot of fun on stage that night. Catch him if you can, as it will be well worth it...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 July 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

80smusicfreak wrote:
...was that also true for the commercial 45 of the follow-up, "Almost Saturday Night", on Asylum 45291???

No, John's other two stock Asylum 45s were both stereo, and labeled as such. Lemme tell ya, "Sea Cruise", the B-side of "Almost..." is certainly one LOUD record!

The third one was Asylum 45309 ("You Got The Magic"/"Evil Thing.") The stock has an "X" and "Y" side (as in E-45309-X) as opposed to the "A" and "B" on 45291.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Yah Shure wrote:
80smusicfreak wrote:
...was that also true for the commercial 45 of the follow-up, "Almost Saturday Night", on Asylum 45291???

No, John's other two stock Asylum 45s were both stereo, and labeled as such. Lemme tell ya, "Sea Cruise", the B-side of "Almost..." is certainly one LOUD record!

Thanks for the confirmation, Yah Shure. I'd seen some label scans of "Almost Saturday Night" on-line, but over the years, have learned not to always trust the labels...

Quote:
The third one was Asylum 45309 ("You Got The Magic"/"Evil Thing.") The stock has an "X" and "Y" side (as in E-45309-X) as opposed to the "A" and "B" on 45291.

Yep, saw that one in my Whitburn chart books, and upon further research, discovered that those two tracks are from his aborted 1976 album for Asylum, Hoodoo. Bootleg copies of that album exist on CD, but I don't know about the sound quality, or whether the recordings of those two songs on that CD match the ones on the 45 exactly. (If anyone here reading this has those answers, please feel free to chime in.) But I suppose if I ever want to compile my own quality JF solo collection (since the labels themselves don't seem too anxious to do it for us), that 45 and/or bootleg CD will be a necessity...

Now, since you're our resident "45 label" expert here, why does a cursory search for the "You Got the Magic" 45 on eBay reveal at least THREE different label designs for the U.S. white-label promo of this low-charting song - two on the WRONG label, no less???

Elektra label (artist/title ABOVE center hole)
Elektra label (artist/title BELOW center hole)
Asylum label (artist/title BELOW center hole)

I assume a fourth pressing - on the Asylum label w/ the artist/title ABOVE the center hole - also exists... :-)

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 10 July 2013 at 5:46pm
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

80smusicfreak wrote:
why does a cursory search for the "You Got the Magic" 45 on eBay reveal at least THREE different label designs for the U.S. white-label promo of this low-charting song - two on the WRONG label, no less?

Please don't single me out. There are plenty of folks here who are knowledgeable about 45 labels.

"You Got The Magic" was supposed to have been an Asylum title, so chalk up the Elektra copies to label miscommunication. The first copy linked is a vinyl east coast Specialty pressing (SP) and the second is a vinyl west coast Columbia Santa Maria issue (CSM). Label typesetting was done either at or near the individual pressing plants, hence the variations.

The third-linked promo on the intended Asylum label is a vinyl Specialty pressing. My styrene stock copy is midwesterner (CTH) from Columbia's Terre Haute facility.

As far as label disinterest goes, WEA never bothered to service my college station with any of JF's three Asylum 45s. I had to drop by the local branch office to pick up a couple of "Rockin' All Over The World" stocks, and they never did get the last two titles in. I don't remember whether we received the LP.
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2013 at 5:53am | IP Logged Quote edtop40

edtop40And edtop40, are you saying that you found the song on an import CD other than one of the re-issues of the original '75 album from Australia, Germany, or Japan???

can't remember and i don't have notes from when i copied it.....my guess is that is was the parent album that my copy is from...

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 January 2022 at 7:39pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

The parent LP that this song was originally included on in
1975 has been released on CD in the US (finally) on the BMG
Rights Management label. I see the listing has already been
added to the online database.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic