Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: The Who - Baba O’Riley Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 09 September 2011 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

OK, not even released as a single in the US, but it happens to be one of my all-time favorite songs, and if it's good enough to make the Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, I figure it's fair game to discuss here.

As I pointed out in another thread, many of the remastered Who albums from the mid-1990s were also remixed. On my remastered copy of "Who's Next," the song runs 5:08. On "Ultimate," it runs 4:58. The difference in length is due to where the piano hits start. On "Who's Next," they start at 0:41. On "Ultimate," they begin at 0:32.

As far as I can tell, original vinyl LP copies run the shorter length (shorter intro), and probably match the mix on "Ultimate." The remastered version is certainly cleaner sounding (far less hiss); whereas the "Ultimate" CD suffers from noise reduction on many tracks.

It's too bad the '90s remasters are all remixed, because they really are superior in sound quality.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2011 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Have you ever noticed some people think the song is called "Teenage Wastland"?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 September 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Considering the song title is not in any of the lyrics, it's not surprising that some people would think that.

As a side note, I tracked down a copy of the Steve Hoffman mastering of "Who's Next" and the sound quality is far superior to "Ultimate." It's not as hissy, and there isn't any noise reduction.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2011 at 7:45pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

"Wastland"? That country doesn't seem to be listed in the latest Rand McNally. :) Aside from the "Teenage Wasteland" title, I've referred to the song for years as "Teenage Waistline", an ode, of sorts, to having once been less old and more sveldt.

(I'd have to add Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" to the no-one-seems-to-know-what-the-actual-title-of-this-song-is sweepstakes: "Save My Life," "Goin' Down For The Last Time" and on and on.)

Back To "Baba O'Wawa": we used to have issues with this vinyl track at my college station, as the stylus would alternately skip and get stuck during the intro, making it seem to go on forever. This thread got me to thinking: "what if "Baba" had been issued as a single? What would have been the best way to shorten that long intro without making the overall result sound like a hack job?

It can be done. With a little extra copying and pasting magic, I came up with a file that runs 4:05 and shortens the intro to :21. The only trimming came during the first half, as anything cut from the latter half just plain didn't work. Y'know, I could probably get that down under 3:30 if I sped it up a mere 20% or so. :)
Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version