Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Technotronic - Get Up! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 15 August 2023 at 12:16am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Technotronic - Get Up! (Before the Night is Over)

There were two promo CDs with the same catalog number (DPRO-05327) and same track selection, mastered 2½ weeks apart:

1st version with L0105E date code (meaning 5 Jan 1990)
2nd version with L0124G date code (meaning 24 Jan 1990) and stickered "Re-mastered Improved Quality"

There was also the retail CD with catalog number K2-19704 and the same tracks:

the commercial CD, with an L0124G date code.

I've got rips of the retail CD and one of the promos, but I'm not sure which one. The only difference between them is in the first track, which is the 7" Edit. On the promo I have, noise reduction was applied to that one track, and its fade begins sooner (at 3:15) and gently goes to silence, whereas the retail fade begins at 3:19 and the song ends before the fade reaches silence.

Anybody know or recall which one of these, if it's either of them, is the "improved quality" version?

Edited by mjb50 on 15 August 2023 at 12:17am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 August 2023 at 7:36am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

This is probably going to raise more questions than it answers. I have in front of me both promo CD singles, the mastering codes exactly as you indicate, and one of the discs having the red "re-mastered" sticker on the front. I just ripped both discs, and the audio is digitally identical. Track 1 on the remastered disc starts 0.1 seconds sooner (less silence at the very beginning), but they cancel out perfectly in a null test.

I also have a rip of the commercial CD single, and it is digitally identical to the "re-mastered" disc in terms of where the audio begins (0.1 seconds sooner than the non-remastered one) and as expected also cancels out in a null test, indicating they are digitally identical.

Track 1 on all three of the discs dump out very quickly at the 3:30 mark, and the fade starts at around 3:19 on all of them.

The full matrix of my non-remastered copy is DPRO-05327 L0105E 1-1-1 CAPITOL JAX 1 C. On the "re-mastered" disc, the matrix is K2 19704 L0124G 5327 CAPITOL JAX 4 C. Discogs shows a second matrix variant for this, which exactly matches the commercial CD matrix, replacing the "5327" with "1-1-4."

Edited by aaronk on 15 August 2023 at 7:45am

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 August 2023 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Weird. Maybe someone complained about the long silence? On-air CD players were finicky back in 1990.

The 3:30 version is relatively uncommon on CD. I don't have the CD single, but I can provide mastering info for the handful of discs that I do have:

To my ears, it sounds best on Hitmakers Vol. 31 (January 19, 1990), where it runs out to the end of the word "over". There's no evidence of noise reduction on the fade (the EQ remains the same to the end of the fade). I suspect that this is a digital clone of the CD single.

The same analog transfer (not a digital clone) is used on TM Century track no. 00005034. Same fade points and length as Hitmakers, but it sounds like TM Century added a small amount of noise reduction (the high end disappears at the tail of the fade).

I have a file from the 1993 Technotronic collection The Greatest Hits (not released in the US), which is a differently EQ'd digital clone of Hitmakers, but starts its fade a little sooner and fades more gradually, also ending after the word "over". No evidence of NR here either.

It sounds like the UK got a different analog transfer than the US. The three UK discs I have with the song all end a few beats before the US discs:

Ronny's Pop Show 15 (1990) has its left and right channels swapped, but no evidence of added noise reduction.

Now That's What I Call Music 1990 (1993) has added noise reduction.

Now The Millennium Series 1990 (1999) also has noise reduction.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 15 August 2023 at 8:38am

mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 August 2023 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Weird that the two actual promo discs have identical audio! Maybe it's some marketing at play, trying to get PDs to give the song another go.

I'm also wondering if the 7" Edit was the only radio hit, or if anyone was playing the Def Edit.

Well, for now, I'm going to assume that the promo I found is fake, consisting of track 1 from one of those noise-reduced Now releases, and the rest are maybe from the retail release.

Anyway, thanks, guys.

Edited by mjb50 on 15 August 2023 at 7:39pm
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 15 August 2023 at 7:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

crapfromthepast wrote:
Weird. Maybe someone complained about the long silence? On-air CD players were finicky back in 1990.

I guess if you consider 0.309 seconds of silence to be "long." Both discs have the audio starting relatively tight. One starts at 0:00.309 and the other at 0:00.209.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version