Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: OT: Berlin - The Metro Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mjb50
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 01 January 2024 at 3:30am | IP Logged Quote mjb50

Berlin - The Metro

I recently heard this in a grocery store, of all places, and remembered how much I love it.

The original 1981 45 on MAO Records runs 4:11.7 with a very dry mix. It starts out with just TR-808 drum-machine beats in the first few seconds.

The Pleasure Victim mini-album version, released in 1982 on Enigma and 1983 on Geffen, is a remix that plays about 1% faster and ends at 4:07.2. It's basically the same recording, just adding a 2.8s reversed cymbal decay and synth to the intro. In the mix they added reverb and panned the instruments differently. Total runtime on the CD is 4:09.7.

The 1983 "hit" 45 version is the album version, but it shaves the first 1.5s off the reversed cymbal intro, and fades out 1 second early, running 4:07.2. It got to #58 on the Billboard Hot 100.

The original Pleasure Victim US CD (2036-2) is mastered very quietly and has slightly weak bass. The 2020 Rubellan Remasters expanded edition is louder and beefs up the bass, maybe just a tad too much.

The 2020 release also has the European 7" remix. It has dry vocals and replaces the kick, snare and clap with a completely different drum machine to give it a "harder" sound. It extends the ending as well, running 4:27 total.

I think only the album version has been released on compilation CDs.

Edited by mjb50 on 01 January 2024 at 5:08am
Back to Top View mjb50's Profile Search for other posts by mjb50 Visit mjb50's Homepage

whyaduck
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 January 2024 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote whyaduck

Thanks for bringing up "The Metro". I'm a big fan of Berlin's 1981-1984 material.

For me the 2020 Pleasure Victim Rubellan Remaster was a disappointment. I like the original US CD as well as the 1981 The Metro USA 7"

Back to Top View whyaduck's Profile Search for other posts by whyaduck

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version