Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Janey Street - Say Hello To Ronnie Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 21 June 2024 at 10:42am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Not a top 40 hit... "Say Hello To Ronnie" peaked at #68 in 1984. The version that appears on Heard It On The Radio Vol. 1 (Rennaissance, 1998) is an alternate take. The backing track is the same recording, but most of the vocals are noticeably different.

I have a promo 45 that has the long & short versions on it, and I also have the 1984 self-titled Janey Street LP. The LP and both sides of the promo 45 have the same vocal take.

As far as I can tell, Rennaissance is the licensing reissue label, while the disc was produced by BMG Special Products. In 2003-2004, BMG also put out a couple different CDs with this song. I'm going to take a look to see if I have any of those V/A comps to find out if they found the correct version for those or if it's the same alternate take that they included on the Rennaissance CD.

Edited by aaronk on 21 June 2024 at 10:45am

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

promojunkie
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 June 2024 at 12:47pm | IP Logged Quote promojunkie

That is interesting. I have in storage the 12" promo that
has what I assume is the the LP version with the No Vocal
Intro but perhaps it's the alternate take that is on "Heard
It On The Radio" (I don't own that). What I am
understanding is the short version on the promo 45 is not
an alternate edit of the LP version but a different version
altogether?

Edited by promojunkie on 21 June 2024 at 12:52pm

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 June 2024 at 2:41pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just pulled my copy of Real 80's: The Video Hits (BMG, 2003), and this CD also contains the alternate vocal take. That means the original LP and single versions have possibly never appeared on CD. At least, there aren't any other discs with this song listed on Discogs.

I don't have the promo 12", but if the version name is descriptive of what's on it, the "No Vocal Intro" would just chop off the first 0:25, leaving about 4:11 (the listed time on the promo 12").

The promo 45, on the other hand, keeps the slow vocal intro and instead edits out other sections throughout the song. For instance, the instrumental section before the first verse is shortened, as is the instrumental section before verse two.

The CD versions I have all contain an alternate vocal take. All versions I have on vinyl have the same vocal take, so I assume the alternate surfaced in the late-'90s when someone pulled the wrong tape for the Rennaissance compilation.

Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 June 2024 at 2:48pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

To summarize:

stock 45 & LP version (4:36 actual time) - same vocal take and version found on both

"No Vocal Intro" from promo 12" (4:11 printed time) - most likely the same as the above but with the slow intro removed

promo 45 version (listed 3:55; actual 4:08) - keeps the slow intro, but has other edits to shorten the song

CD version (actual 4:35) - has the slow intro and uses an alternate vocal take; not likely released on vinyl in 1984

Edited by aaronk on 21 June 2024 at 2:49pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version