Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: James Brown ’I Got You (I Feel Good)’ Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 September 2024 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

There seems to be an alternate mono mix of "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
out there that is drier. That drum hit after the initial "Oooow"
that opens the song does not have a reverb trail at all -- it's just
dry. I only see one 45 on YouTube and, while the quality is poor, it
seems to have the reverb on the drum hit.

The dry version is on "Rockin' Down the Block" from Silver Eagle
Records and also on an import called "Pure Oldies." The drier
version is not on his complete singles collection. Anyone know the
origin of this mix and if it was ever issued on 45?
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2024 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

The song originally started life as "I Found You", as recorded by Yvonne Fair (with the James Brown Band) in 1962. Not a hit.

Non-hit 1964 Smash version (2:27)

Recorded September 9, 1964 (according to liner notes to Star Time). This was intended to be released in fall 1964 (according to Star Time) or possibly June 1965 (according to liner notes of The Singles) as Smash 1989, but was canceled.

From Wikipedia: "In 1964, Brown recorded an early version of "I Got You (I Feel Good)" with a different arrangement, including a stuttering rhythm and prominent baritone sax line, under the title "I Got You". This version appeared on the Smash Records album Out of Sight and in the 1965 film Ski Party, in which Brown lip synchs his performance on June 30. It was intended for a single release but was withdrawn due to a court order from King Records, with whom Brown was involved in a contract dispute."

This version first appeared on CD on the very first James Brown CD, The CD Of JB (1986). It's in stereo here.

There's a new analog transfer of the stereo version on the superb 4-CD box set Star Time (1991). It sounds just a teeny bit fuller here than on CD Of JB, but the difference isn't drastic.

It appears in mono on Hip-O Select's James Brown set The Singles Vol. 3 1964-1965 (2007).

Hit 1965 King version in mono (2:44)

Recorded May 6, 1965 (according to liner notes to Star Time). This was released in October 1965 (according to The Singles) or November 1965 (according to Star Time) as King 6015.

The oldest CD with the mono version is Silver Eagle's mail-order 3-CD multi-artist compilation Rockin' Down The Block (1987). Although Brian notes that this CD seems to have less reverb, I think it's the same mix, but a very high-generation source tape. It sounds very muffled here, especially compared to everything released after it. It also runs a bit fast here. Basically, avoid this disc for this song.

There's a new analog transfer on Heartland Music's mail-order 2-CD Feel Good Rock (1989, RE-2 reissue). I think this disc also uses a relatively high-generation source tape, but there's far more high end here than the Silver Eagle disc. Overall, the EQ is a little squishy so that the instruments aren't very well-defined, but it's still a vast improvement over the Silver Eagle set.

There's yet another vast improvement in the new analog transfer on Polydor's single-CD James Brown compilation 20 All-Time Greatest Hits! (1991). Outstanding sound overall - great dynamic range, nice EQ, seemingly low-generation source tapes. This disc is basically the gold standard for the JB single versions. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • a multi-artist collection called Pop Memories (1996)
  • Realm's mail-order 3-CD multi-artist compilation Ultimate Funk Classics (2002) - mastered too loud and clips a bit
There's a super-clean-sounding version on Polydor's stellar 4-CD JB set Star Time (1991). I suspect that it's a new mix from the multi-tracks, but I can't confirm. (I don't own the box set anymore, and therefore can't check the details in the booklet.)

There's a new analog transfer on Polydor's Foundations Of Funk (1996). The sound quality is very close to 20 All-Time Greatest Hits!, but it's EQ'd with a little more high end. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Soul Legends R&B 40 Vol. 4 (2016)
Finally, there's a new analog transfer on Hip-O Select's James Brown set The Singles Vol. 3 1964-1965 (2007). This version is EQ'd with way too much bass. Avoid for this track.

Hit 1965 King version in stereo (2:44)

The stereo version is extremely wide, with the vocals entirely in the left channel and the drums entirely in the right channel.

The stereo version first appeared on CD on Rhino's excellent Soul Shots Vol. 1 (1988). The same analog transfer is used on:
  • TM Century track no. 00001973 - hiss EQ'd out
There's a new analog transfer on Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1965 (1989), where it runs 2:44. It's slightly preferable to Soul Shots because there's less bleed-through of the vocals and drums into the opposite channel. The same analog transfer is used on:
  • Time-Life's Rhythm And Blues Vol. 7 1965 (1991)
  • Time-Life's Solid Gold Soul Vol. 12 1965 (copyright 1991, actual release is 1996 or 1997)
  • Starland Music/Warner Special Products' 2-CD 40 Party Classics (1996)
  • Time-Life's 2-CD Classic R&B Collection Vol. 3 1964-1967 (2000)
  • TM Century track no. 00008186
There another analog transfer on Rhino's Millennium New Soul Party (2000). I think this may be a slightly different mix than the earlier discs. Here, unlike everything previously released, there's no bass in the left channel. And I think I hear more reverb than the earlier releases (listen around 1:37-1:40).

There's a very narrow stereo version on New Gold On CD (week of 1990-10-29). It's an outlier (the track was never released in such a narrow stereo), and it's only on a hard-to-find promo CD. You can safely ignore this version.

My recommendations

For the non-hit 1964 Smash version in mono, go with Hip-O Select's The Singles Vol. 3 1964-1965 (2007).

For the non-hit 1964 Smash version in stereo, go with Polydor's Star Time (1991).

For the hit 1965 King version in mono, go with Polydor's 20 All-Time Greatest Hits! (1991). This was the hit, as it sounded on the radio and on record at the time. It's also my go-to disc for most of the JB hits.

For the hit 1965 King version in stereo, go with Rhino's Billboard Top R&B Hits 1965 (1989).

Edited by crapfromthepast on 08 September 2024 at 9:55am

VWestlife
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 09 September 2024 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote VWestlife

The New Gold on CD discs were remixed to blend single-
channel passages to mono and then gradually widen out to
stereo when the other channel joins in. This was done
because on an FM Stereo signal, 50% left + 50% right = 100%
modulation, when you're only transmitting a single channel,
anyone listening on a mono radio loses half the loudness.

This technique is especially apparent on "I Got You"
because it contains a lot of single-channel passages.
Back to Top View VWestlife's Profile Search for other posts by VWestlife Visit VWestlife's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 10 September 2024 at 4:59am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I never noticed that before on the New Gold on CD discs, though when I was a music director I'd narrow the stereo field on songs with
super wide stereo when I dub them to the automation for the same reason you mention.
Besides the aforementioned James Brown song, the 1-2-3 on "Good Lovin'" got the same treatment. In fact I think I completely mono'ed
that one out.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

AndrewChouffi
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 September 2024 at 5:36am | IP Logged Quote AndrewChouffi

I recall in the old Both Sides Now Newsletter days that a
three-track mix of the hit take "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
existed on some vinyl source.

I was never able to verify this; does anyone out there
have any additional info?

Thanks!

Andy
Back to Top View AndrewChouffi's Profile Search for other posts by AndrewChouffi

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version