Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 07 March 2007 at 1:37pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I just obtained a copy of Hearts Of Gold: The Rap Collection CD on Foundation, and contrary to the database, the song "Ice Ice Baby" by Vanilla Ice is not the LP version. I've never heard this version before, but it sounds like "neither" version.

The music track has been changed, as it no longer contains the Queen/Bowie sample. Rather, it has someone playing the keyboard trying to imitate the sample. The lead vocal does sound the same as the LP version; however, the background vocals have all been changed. My only logical guess as to why this version would have surfaced is because of the lawsuit that was brought against Vanilla Ice for using the Queen sample without permission.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I found this re-recorded version on The Greatest Hits Of Dance (Telstar UK tcd2616, 1992; runs 4:29).

As re-records go, it's a pretty good imitation. It uses the same lead vocal, as Aaron mentioned above, but everything else is new. One place where it's easiest to spot the re-recording is on the hi-hat only intro: it's about 6 dB louder in the left channel and fairly prominent on the rerecording, but it's centered and WAY far back in the mix (about -30 dB) on the LP version. Another place is the "yo" at 3:08 - the LP version has background singers saying "yo", and the rerecord has just Vanilla "yo"-ing. The rerecord is also a teeny bit faster than the LP version (115.8 BPM vs. 115.7 BPM).

I found a designation for a "radio edit" on a German compilation (Mega Dance Party '92 - Columbia Germany, 1992, run time 4:20), which cuts off the 8-second-long hi-hat intro, and is otherwise the same as LP version. Was this ever issued on a promo CD single in the US?

FYI - the mastering on To The Extreme (SBK CDP-95325, 1990, runs 4:29) isn't bad. I found other compilations based on this mastering:
  • Mega Hits Of The '90s (Time-Life R143-35, 2001) is digitally identical to To The Extreme
  • Living In The 90s (Razor & Tie S22-18601, 1995) is digitally exactly 1 dB louder than To The Extreme
  • Ultra Mix - Dance Hits Of The '80s And '90s (Time-Life M18517, 1999) is a different EQ from To The Extreme - samples line up but don't completely cancel
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 27 January 2008 at 4:40pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

I just obtained the "Hooked" cd by Vanilla Ice, which as 80smusicfreak points out in another thread contains the orginal LP appearance of "Ice Ice Baby". I do not hear any differences between the version of "Ice Ice Baby" found on "Hooked" and the version found on "To The Extreme" but 80smusicfreak indicates there are differences. Can anyone who owns both of these cd's point out to me the differences between them for the song "Ice Ice Baby"? I do hear differences between the two versions of "Play That Funky Music" but not "Ice Ice Baby".
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 06 February 2008 at 6:49am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

Pat Downey wrote:
I just obtained the "Hooked" cd by Vanilla Ice, which as 80smusicfreak points out in another thread contains the orginal LP appearance of "Ice Ice Baby". I do not hear any differences between the version of "Ice Ice Baby" found on "Hooked" and the version found on "To The Extreme" but 80smusicfreak indicates there are differences. Can anyone who owns both of these cd's point out to me the differences between them for the song "Ice Ice Baby"? I do hear differences between the two versions of "Play That Funky Music" but not "Ice Ice Baby".

Pat, I've since located my CD of "Hooked"; on my copy, the actual timing of "Ice Ice Baby" is (4:29), and "Play That Funky Music" runs (4:44). (Both timings differ slightly from those given on the "discography" page of Vanilla Ice's official web site, which was all I had to go on until I found my CD a couple of weeks ago.) I may have confused one of the remixes of "Ice Ice Baby" on my cassette maxi-single of "Ice Ice Baby"/"Play That Funky Music" w/ the version that appears on "Hooked", so if the timings on our "Hooked" CDs match, then I stand corrected on that one...

crapfromthepast later posted in the "Play That Funky Music" thread that he'd found his U.S. commercial 12" vinyl single of "Ice Ice Baby"/"Play That Funky Music" on SBK, and I'm 95% certain that the track listing he gave matches my U.S. cassette maxi-single, also on SBK (which I still haven't yet located)...

Also, aaronk made a good point in the "Play That Funky Music" thread that there appears to be two different pressings of "To the Extreme", which I was previously unaware of. Has anyone confirmed this yet??? (I've got "TTE" on cassette, but have never owned it on CD to this day...)

Oh, and for completists, in addition to cassette & CD, I've also since confirmed that "Hooked" was indeed issued on vinyl LP here in the U.S. (there's currently a poor copy listed on eBay for just $16, inc. shipping)...
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 25 July 2010 at 12:51pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial cassingle issued as sbk 07335 states the version as the "club mix" with a stated run time of 4:59 but actually runs 5:01.....i don't have the corresponding vinyl 45 to compare that format.....this cassingle data s/b reflected in the db....

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 27 November 2011 at 8:15pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I found a German CD single for "Ice Ice Baby", EMI CDP 560-20 4112 2, released 1990.
  1. ICE ICE BABY (Club Mix) - actual 5:01, runs 115.9 BPM
  2. ICE ICE BABY (Radio Mix) - actual 3:49; is just an early fade of the LP version with a fade from 3:34 to 3:49; runs 115.7 BPM
  3. ICE ICE BABY (Radio Mix Edit) - actual 4:29; digital clone of the LP version from To The Extreme; runs 115.7 BPM
It says "Written by Vanilla Ice and Earthquake", so the CD is a pre-lawsuit release.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 28 November 2011 at 1:30pm
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version