Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: ELO - Can’t Get It Out Of My Head Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 July 2007 at 8:18am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

There's been discussion on Tom Daly's site that Electric Light Orchestra's "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" on Time-Life's Sound Of The Seventies - 1975: Take Two is NOT the 45 version, instead is a Time-Life edit to recreate it with a choppy edit.

Can anyone confirm this? Reason I asked, it's listed as the 45 version in the database.

Edited by eriejwg on 03 July 2007 at 8:18am
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 12:40pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I could be way offbase here, but Ed had sent me a dub a few months or so ago of the song from another CD source, which he says matches the vinyl 45 exactly (I don't have the actual 45). To my ears, that dub he sent doesn't vary from the T-L version (even the edit seems to match, although I don't have ABing software to offically check).

I'd like to defer to him just in case, though.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 July 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

another contender for our fellows with 45s to verify (perhaps Pat has already done so...)

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 July 2007 at 6:17pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

The version now posted on Skyline's site is a different edit from the Time-Life version. And Tom Daly says the source is a dub of his vinyl single.

Although, since 45s can have different pressings (and versions), I'd still like a second corroboration. Ed, can you recheck your 45, por favor?

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 4:17am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Although this sort of thing is not my specialty, I have just researched this case. My opinion: The original 45 and the T/L 1975 CD versions are NOT the same. ALL of the differences I found occur around the song's instrumental bridge, between the (1:12) and the (1:33) mark into the song. Jeff Lynne's "No, No" vocal, just before this bridge, is at full volume on the 45, but is a barely-discernable "echo" on the CD. A choir is then heard next on the original 45, until about (1:20). Bells and a "controlled" synth riff are ONLY featured during the bridge between (1:20) and (1:25). From there, building violins are then featured, until Lynne resumes his vocal, around (1:33-1:34). On the T/L CD, the choir, from (1:15-ish) to (1:20) is simply not there. Instead, brief bells, followed by a MUCH longer, wilder, "up and down" synth interlude, replaces the choir. When you know where to focus, it actually becomes fairly obvious that the instrumental break on the T/L CD, despite matching up with the 45 TIME-wise, isn't even really all that close to the original 45, when it comes to the break's actual content. My research also determined that, throughout the song, all of the vocals (except for the earlier-mentioned, missing "No, No" vocal) match up perfectly when I compared the two versions, both word-for-word and second-for-second. Pat, please give a listen to the two where I've indicated, and I'm pretty sure you'll concur with my findings here.

Edited by jimct on 08 July 2007 at 4:18am
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Jim, nice work. So I was way offbase in my initial post. My apologies.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 10:43am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

A truly detailed comparison, Jim! Thank you very much for the details!
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 12:33pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i will check my version versus the 45 later tonight when i get home......i will be back with my findings then....

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Listening to Tom's dub and the T-L version further, I think I found another pretty major difference in the chorus that leads to the instrumental break. On Tom's dub, the chorus has Lynne accompanied with background vocals. The T-L version does not.

Just one more thing for Ed to double check when he reports his findings. :)

Edited by sriv94 on 08 July 2007 at 1:45pm

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 1:50pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

doug...at what time does this new difference occur??

bdpop
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote bdpop

Also, Evil Woman by ELO on the Time-Life Sounds of the Seventies 1976 CD I do not believe is the correct single version. I no longer have a copy of the actual single to compare it with, but it does not sound at all as I remember it. It too sounds like a chopped up mix of the LP version. I wonder if the masters of the ELO single mixes have been lost though the years.
Back to Top View bdpop's Profile Search for other posts by bdpop

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

When I purchased the Sounds Of The Seventies - 1976: Take Two CD, I was so excited thinking... FINALLY, the 45 version of Evil Woman. Well, about halfway through the song or so, it's pitched down terribly.

Last year, I purchased a near mint copy of the 45 to replace the T-L file. Certainly glad I did.

Edited by eriejwg on 08 July 2007 at 4:06pm

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

edtop40 wrote:
doug...at what time does this new difference occur??

About 48.5 seconds in, Ed.

As to the comments regarding "Evil Woman"--"Evil Woman" is most definitely not the single version on the T-L disc. In addition to being pitched down toward the end, some of the edits are wrong. The version on the Rhino Have A Nice Decade box is much closer, but still wrong (they left one line in that should've been removed). Fortunately, the 45 is pretty easy to make from the LP.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Obviously, 2 strikes just within this thread for Time-Life regarding both ELO tracks.

I'm sure there's many more.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 July 2007 at 7:46pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Prezactly. But T-L does have some redeeming tracks in its arsenal (the only CDs with the 45 version of Steely Dan's "Do It Again" are all from T-L, OTOH had they not snipped the opening bass line, they'd also have the only true 45 version of "Rikki Don't Lose That Number").

Obviously not ELO, but T-L does have its moments.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 11 July 2007 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Thought I'd bump this up to ask--Ed, didja ever come up with any findings?

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 6:47pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

i just got back from vaca and i had a chance to review the song and i will agree with everything jim has commented about the song.....i will add that my 45 contains choir and background vocals from the 0:48-1:11 mark which are NOT on the edit version i have.....so i will agree that the edit version i have from a starland compilation titled "lost in love" is NOT the same as the 45 version....it's close but not exact enough after further review....it may be possible to recreate those background choir vocals and place them in the correct spot, since the choir vocals are in the remainder of the song quite a bit.....but.....i believe getting the edit from the 1:12 to 1:33 bridge will be difficult if not im possible with out using a mint 45 to splice in together....this one will require aaron's complete attention to get right.....but....he'll probably be up for it.....

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 12 July 2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Bring it on! :) Of course, I couldn't work my magic without the help of several people on this board (you know who you are).
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Roscoe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2007 at 5:11pm | IP Logged Quote Roscoe

edtop40 wrote:
i just got back from vaca and i had a chance to review the song and i will agree with everything jim has commented about the song.....i will add that my 45 contains choir and background vocals from the 0:48-1:11 mark which are NOT on the edit version i have.....so i will agree that the edit version i have from a starland compilation titled "lost in love" is NOT the same as the 45 version....it's close but not exact enough after further review....it may be possible to recreate those background choir vocals and place them in the correct spot, since the choir vocals are in the remainder of the song quite a bit.....but.....i believe getting the edit from the 1:12 to 1:33 bridge will be difficult if not im possible with out using a mint 45 to splice in together....this one will require aaron's complete attention to get right.....but....he'll probably be up for it.....

Maybe I'm missing something, but I was able to easily recreate the 45 edit that was posted on the Skyline site (purportedly from an mint 45). Has anyone confirmed that the Skyline version is the correct 45 version? I performed the following edits to recreate the version posted on Skyline:
- Delete from :48 to 1:46 (so that the first verse segues directly into the second chorus with the background vocals)
- Delete from 2:18 to 2:27 in the bridge
- Delete from 2:32 to 2:41 in the bridge

The LP version has the background choir referenced above.
Back to Top View Roscoe's Profile Search for other posts by Roscoe

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 June 2010 at 5:44pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Hey Guys, what is the status of this? Can the single version be edited from the album version (such as with the edit points that Roscoe mentions above)?

Also, Roscoe, I haven't tried your edits yet, but when you list the time "2:18 to 2:27", are you referring to the album points, or the times as they would exist after you've already edited :48 to 1:46 out?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version