Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "A Little More Love" - Olivia Newton-John Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 02 April 2008 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

At the risk of sounding like I don't know what I'm talking about (which wouldn't be a first :) ), are the 45 and CD versions of "A Little More Love" the same? For some reason, I have a hazy recollection of the guitar strums that punctuate the song as being double-strummed (or even triple-strummed) instead of single-strummed (thinking about the strum that follows the line "Night is draggin' her feet. . .," as an example).

Thanks!

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

budaniel
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 April 2008 at 7:58pm | IP Logged Quote budaniel

those hazy recollections are so frustrating, and usually not so hazy, right? I don't remember a different sound on A Little More Love, but I KNOW that when I was a kid, I once heard a version of Magic on the radio that had a MAJOR echo/reverb on the snare drum, giving it a lot more punch. Could these differences in sound have anything to do with EQing on radio and/or the stereos on which we heard these songs back then?
Back to Top View budaniel's Profile Search for other posts by budaniel Visit budaniel's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2008 at 8:22am | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

I've always loved ONJ (seen her in concert twice in the last ten years). I'm afraid I can't help w/ either "A Little More Love" or "Magic" - both are personal faves of mine as well - but I DO know that there's a different mix out there for at least one of her other big hits from that time, "Heart Attack"...

Back in the late '80s, I remember picking up an Australian hits cassette of hers, and when it got to "Heart Attack", the different mix immediately jumped out at me. (It had "echo" on some of her vocals, and possibly some other differences as well - and I admittedly don't catch these things as quickly as most others here!) The 10th edition of Pat's book doesn't indicate any difference between the 45 & LP versions here in the U.S., so I can only assume that they must've mixed the 45 differently for the Aussie market (and some other countries???) back in '82...

I still have that cassette buried away in a closet here somewhere; haven't listened to it in more than five years, though. (Not sure if that same collection was also issued on CD down under, but based on its age, I doubt it, but that's not to say that that same mix hasn't since appeared on other Aussie compilations of hers...)

*Edited to add: The "echo" on this different mix of "Heart Attack" was not unlike that also heard on Billy Joel's 1978 hit, "Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)"...

Edited by 80smusicfreak on 03 April 2008 at 8:30am
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2008 at 9:16am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

80smusicfreak: Are you saying there are more differences (i.e. echo) to "Movin'Out" other than the car engine noise being removed from the 45 version? There's a long thread here called "Movin' Out - Billy Joel" and the only difference ever mentioned in it is the car engine noise being removed.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

80smusicfreak
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2008 at 8:31pm | IP Logged Quote 80smusicfreak

EdisonLite wrote:
80smusicfreak: Are you saying there are more differences (i.e. echo) to "Movin'Out" other than the car engine noise being removed from the 45 version? There's a long thread here called "Movin' Out - Billy Joel" and the only difference ever mentioned in it is the car engine noise being removed.

No, EdisonLite. :-) Guess I need to clarify more here: I was simply making a comparison to BJ's vocals as heard in "Movin' Out". If you know his song well, then you're no doubt aware that there are three lines in it where the vocals are made to sound like they are echoing. Verse one: "Ah, but workin' too hard can give you a heart attack-ack-ack-ack-ack." Verse three: "And he's tradin' in his Chevy for a Cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac." Verse five: "You should never argue with a crazy mi-mi-mi-mi-mi-mind." The ONJ song naturally made me think of the end of that line from the first verse of "Movin' Out", so I felt it was a fair comparison worth mentioning, as again, the effect heard on the Aussie remix of her song is quite similar (at least that was the difference that immediately jumped out at me; there may be others). Sorry for any confusion!
Back to Top View 80smusicfreak's Profile Search for other posts by 80smusicfreak

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 April 2008 at 11:32pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

budaniel wrote:
those hazy recollections are so frustrating, and usually not so hazy, right?

When I first bought Amy Grant's "Unguarded" CD back in, oh, 1986, I remember thinking that "Love Will Find a Way" sounded different than I remembered it sounding on the radio. Who knows whether there were any differences or not. Changes in EQ and compression can make a song sound very different.

I have the US CD3 of "I Want Your Sex," issued in '88, and they apparently used the analog 45 cutting master, because it is very compressed compared to what is on the "Beverly Hills Cop II" soundtrack. (Of course, the long "Faith" album version is actually a different mix with much punchier drums... it's actually the extended remix with the 45 version intro tacked on.)

Edited by Brian W. on 03 April 2008 at 11:34pm
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version