Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" - Green Day Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:16pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Regarding Green Day's "Boulevard of Broken Dreams", the database states the following:

(dj copies of this 45 ran (4:20) and are a "clean" version).

First, Pat, were DJ copies of this song pressed as 45s, or only as CD singles? Second, I have the song on the 2006 Grammy Nominees CD (Grammy Recordings/Sony-BMG Strategic Marketing Group 74277) and it appears to be the clean version. The "F-word", which is fully intact on the uncensored CD and single version at the 1:47 mark, plays in reverse to mask the swear word at the same point on the Grammy Nominees disc. Therefore, it would be helpful to note in the database which CDs contain the clean version.

Taking a look at the I-Tunes retail download website, I see "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" was released as a stand-alone single in its uncensored form with the "F-word" intact, but I don't see a clean commercial single or album version. Was one ever released for either?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:35pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

I have a promo CD of this with no catalog number. It's on a CD-R with black lettering printed on a plain silver top. It has two tracks:

1. Pop Edit (3:33 - printed & actual)
2. Clean Edit (4:21 - printed & actual)

It sounds like the "Clean Edit" is the one mentioned above, as it reverses the "f" word. The "Pop Edit" shortens the song, but also it mutes the "f" word rather than reversing it.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:40pm | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Excellent info, Aaron, my friend. Thanks!

Now, has anyone come across a censored commercial single or album version?
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 05 April 2008 at 11:42am | IP Logged Quote jimct

aaronk wrote:
I have a promo CD of this with no catalog number. It's on a CD-R with black lettering printed on a plain silver top. It has two tracks:

It sounds like the "Clean Edit" is the one mentioned above, as it reverses the "f" word. The "Pop Edit" shortens the song, but also it mutes the "f" word rather than reversing it.
I own an "official" promo CD single for this:

Green Day-"Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" (PRO-CDR-101456)
1-Clean Edit (listed 4:20; actual 4:21)

But it's also very good to know about the existance of that other 3:33 promo CD single "Pop Edit" version as well, Aaron - many thanks!
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

chendagam
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 April 2008 at 6:44pm | IP Logged Quote chendagam

I know it's difficult to get ahold of the "pop edit" promo but I do believe this version appears on an issue of "promo only." Basically the f word is muted and the guitar section at the end is very short. I think there are versions out there that run the length of the LP but mute the f word and there are versions that replace the f word with "nuffed" up. Can anyone verify this? And what about a version that cuts out the guitar part in the beginning and starts cold with the vocals??
Back to Top View chendagam's Profile Search for other posts by chendagam

TimNeely
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 18 April 2008 at 11:55am | IP Logged Quote TimNeely

aaronk wrote:

I've got a regular promo CD single of this (PRO-CDR-101480) that matches the above, except that the listed time for the "Pop/Clean Edit" is 3:34 and the "Clean Album Version" is 4:20.

There were no commercial releases of this song in the U.S. as a single except on download sites, and there were no U.S. 45s; Pat seems to use "45 version" as shorthand for "single version," regardless of whether there is a real 45 (one of the things that bothers me about the printed version of his book).
Back to Top View TimNeely's Profile Search for other posts by TimNeely

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2021 at 3:51pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Is there a radio edit (i.e., 3:33) of "Boulevard..." that is explicit? If not, has anyone here created one by taking the word from the explicit album version? (I've been listening to the song a fair amount lately - and I find the edits/silent vocals/bleeps jarring. I'm also not a fan of a melody being interrupted (missing a note) when a clean version like this is created.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

PopArchivist
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 August 2021 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote PopArchivist

EdisonLite wrote:
Is there a radio edit (i.e., 3:33) of "Boulevard..." that is explicit? If not, has anyone here created one by taking the word from the explicit album version? (I've been listening to the song a fair amount lately - and I find the edits/silent vocals/bleeps jarring. I'm also not a fan of a melody being interrupted (missing a note) when a clean version like this is created.

No edit exists in Explicit for the song, sorry Gordon.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version