Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: "Gimme Shelter" (dj edit) - Grand Funk Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 30 July 2008 at 10:25pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

While listening to a KOMA aircheck from 1971 I heard an edit of Gimme Shelter. Using the Collectors Series 6:16 version, there are two edits. The 1st from 2:04:09 to 2:33:59 (both on the downbeat of 1). The 2nd from 3:18:07 to 5:07:79 (right on "War, children..." for both seems to work best. The song is then faded to around 3 minutes and 20 seconds.

I know this wasn't a Top 40 hit (should have been), but does it match any issued promo?

Also, any info on other Grand Funk dj edits like "Footstompin' Music"?

Edited by Indy500 on 30 July 2008 at 10:28pm
Back to Top View Indy500's Profile Search for other posts by Indy500

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 4:50am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

I dubbed this song a couple years ago from a Capitol Starline 45, which was their reissue series. Gimme Shelter on one side, Closer To Home on the other. Deadwax for the Gimme Shelter side is S45-77079. Listed time is 3:26, actual time is 3:30.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote Indy500

Then perhaps rather than a dj edit, what I heard was just the regularly issued 45 faded 10 seconds early by the jock.

Anyway, now everyone knows how to recreate the 45 version of a great early 70's song and one of the best covers of a Rolling Stone's song.

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:05pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

I don't recall any charted GFR DJ 45s that differed from their commercial counterparts.

Speaking of KOMA, here's a scan of the station's copy of "Mr. Limousine Driver." I was surprised to find it in the library, since this one missed the top forty by such a wide margin. The (3:25) stated time is the same as the commercial 45; actual time on the promo is (3:33) and this is an edit, not an earlier fade of the (4:27) LP version.

Back to Top View Yah Shure's Profile Search for other posts by Yah Shure

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:53pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Does KOMA use vinyl in the course of their music presentation?

I know it's not totally unusual--WCBS-FM in NY uses vinyl at least once an hour on Tuesdays, and WDRV in Chicago plays a 45 at 1:45 PM (hence the bit title "One 45 at 1:45") and plays an LP side during overnights.

Edited by sriv94 on 31 July 2008 at 12:54pm

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

sriv94 wrote:

Doug, My tour of duty at KOMA was several decades ago. I doubt that the present KOMA-FM uses any on-air vinyl; they weren't using any when I last visited four years ago.

"Limousine" was one of those 45s programmed (and listed on station charts) as an "LP cut" by some AM top-40s on a very limited airplay basis. The Guess Who 45 below shows no wear and tear at all.

Edited by Yah Shure on 31 July 2008 at 3:10pm

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 6:00pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Yah Shure wrote:
I don't recall any charted GFR DJ 45s that differed from their commercial counterparts.

I don't know the length of the commercial 45, but my promo copy of "Heartbreaker" (#72, 1970) is listed as 4:05 on one side and 6:30 on the other. I haven't actually timed out the record. I'm guessing the 6:30 version was the stock single as I don't ever recall a Capitol single from that era where the long version was an album version (though Columbia and Motown would occasionally put the album version on one side of the dj 45).
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

On the Mr. Limosuine Driver scanned above that's probably also the length of the commerical 45 too, since at that time Capitol would re-number radio versions with a PRO or SPRO number. If it was the same as the stock they just added a P to the number as seen above. There of course are exceptions.

Capitol Special Products made a complilation CD that was pressed in Canada but mostly distributed here called "Heavy Hitters" which contains the 3:30 version of Gimme Shelter. (Plus the single version of Closer to Home)

Footstompin Music was the oddest one as they made a short version only for radio.

FYI I have several Grand Funk promos and the mono sides of We're An American Band, Locomotion, and Shining On appear to just be fold downs of the stereo, no speed or mix version.
Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

Indy500
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote Indy500

The database does mention one dj edit that differs from the commercial 45. But many of their singles didn't break the Top 40.

1972 FOOTSTOMPIN' MUSIC (dj copies of this 45 run (2:54) not (2:34) as stated on the record label, and (3:45); commercial copies all run (3:45))

Thanks for the scans Yah Shure. KOMA AM (Oklahoma City) was a great station in the early 70's. Their signal was so strong at night they would run concert advertisements for cities in Wyoming or S Dakota. The jock on the aircheck was Scott Walker by the way if he was still around when you worked there.

Edited by Indy500 on 31 July 2008 at 6:38pm

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 6:49pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

Good call, Hykker. I never had the "Heartbreaker" single; the stock was (6:30).

Although hardly a top-40 hit at #90 in 1972, the "Questions" by Bang (Capitol 3304) promo 45 had the stereo (3:46) LP version backed with a mono (3:15) edit. The commercial 45 was the (3:15) mono edit.

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

Yah Shure wrote:
sriv94 wrote:

Doug, My tour of duty at KOMA was several decades ago. I doubt that the present KOMA-FM uses any on-air vinyl; they weren't using any when I last visited four years ago.

Whoops--thought you were with the present day version. We need one of those "Tell Us About Yourself" sections. :)

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

Yah Shure
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 31 July 2008 at 8:30pm | IP Logged Quote Yah Shure

sriv94 wrote:
We need one of those "Tell Us About Yourself" sections. :)

A "tell-all" here? I don't think so! :)

My KOMA stint was in the early '80s, when it was country. Still the same KOMA; the music changed, but not the presentation.

Indy, KOMA was one of my nighttime top-40 choices while growing up in Minneapolis-St. Paul, so I was well aware of that monster nighttime signal. Even so, on one of my first nights at KOMA, I took successive calls from Chihuahua and Winnipeg. Sure beat the 10-mile coverage of my first station! We received a DX report from a first-time listener and read it on the air, along with playing "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport" for him, which he heard... in Perth, Western Australia.

KOMA was the only nighttime source for top-40 in much of the sparsely-populated western half of the country back during the golden age of the format, and the directional signal truly was a blowtorch. A salesman who'd worked at KOMA in 1967 sent me his sales aids, one of which (from a "refrigerated" Arizona hotel) backs up what you said about concert ads:

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 5:59am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Normally here in New England, WKBW (a blowtorch in itself) dominated 1520, but when they signed off at midnight on Sunday KOMA was easily receivable.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 7:14am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

It's truly a shame what's happened to the 1520 frequency in Buffalo, NY in the last decade or so. They even tried oldies with the late Jack Armstrong voicetracking at night. It was 50 years ago this year that the original WKBW first went on the air.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

eriejwg wrote:
It's truly a shame what's happened to the 1520 frequency in Buffalo, NY in the last decade or so. They even tried oldies with the late Jack Armstrong voicetracking at night. It was 50 years ago this year that the original WKBW first went on the air.

From what I understand, even back in "the day" KB wasn't the ratings powerhouse you'd think it was, often playing 2nd fiddle to graveyard-channel competitor WYSL. They also over reacted to FM competitor WGRQ in the mid-70s, a move they never really recovered from.

Seems hard to believe, considering how big their night audience was up and down the east coast. This was not all that uncommon in the 60s/early 70s to have a severely signal-challenged Top 40 beat one with much better coverage.

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 August 2008 at 10:56am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

The late Jim Connors, who worked here in Erie, PA from the early 60's until 1971 at WJET, before leaving for mornings at WMEX in Boston for a brief time in 1971 and 1972, eventually worked at WYSL from 1972-1976. Then, he was off to WROC in Rochester and a couple stations in New England.

His son, Jim, has a wonderful tribute site to his Dad, and the friendship his Dad had with Harry Chapin, which was the inspiration for the song, W O L D.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version