Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: New Beach Boys complilation coming Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 16 April 2009 at 12:15pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

THE BEACH BOYS: Summer Love Songs (CD, digital)

Some first time stereo on a couple LP tracks, some first time remixes on a couple of others. They found the three tracks on some of these. Out May 19th.

1. Why Do Fools Fall In Love [new stereo mix from newly recovered analog multi-track master]
2. Don’t Worry, Baby [new stereo mix from newly recovered analog multi-track master]
3. Wouldn't It Be Nice
4. God Only Knows
5. Surfer Girl
6. California Girls
7. Please Let Me Wonder
8. In The Parkin' Lot
9. Your Summer Dream
10. Kiss Me, Baby
11. Hushabye [new stereo mix]
12. I'm So Young [new stereo mix]
13. Good To My Baby [new stereo mix]
14. Fallin' In Love [previously unreleased track, written and recorded by Dennis Wilson]
15. Time To Get Alone [new stereo mix]
16. Our Sweet Love
17. Help Me, Rhonda
18. Keep An Eye On Summer
19. Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
20. Girls On The Beach

Back to Top View Bill Cahill's Profile Search for other posts by Bill Cahill

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:34am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I love the Beach Boys and will probably grab this one.
But, would anyone have a grand total of how many compilations have been released since their first Greatest Hits package in 1960's?
There seems to be an Endless Summer of Beach Boys collections.

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 9:36am | IP Logged Quote Hykker

Bill Cahill wrote:

2. Don’t Worry, Baby [new stereo mix from newly recovered analog multi-track master]

This is one of the few Beachboys songs from that era that's been in pretty good stereo all along (at least since the "Endless Summer" LP from the mid-70s). Any idea why they re-did it?

Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 7:03pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

The reason they give is that they found some more masters they didn't have access to before, hence the remixes. See the entire press release:

THE BEACH BOYS PROVIDE THE PERFECT SOUNDTRACK TO SUN-KISSED ROMANCE WITH SUMMER LOVE SONGS, TO BE RELEASED MAY 19 BY CAPITOL/EMI

New Collection Features 20 Timeless Classics, Including Six New Stereo Mixes and a Previously Unreleased Song

Catch The Beach Boys On Tour This Summer

Hollywood, California – April 6, 2009 – The Beach Boys have long been the world’s leading, harmonious voice of summer fun, with an ocean’s swell of universally-loved songs about the beach, surfing, hot rods, and in no small measure, girls and sun-kissed romance. 20 of The Beach Boys’ best love songs, from tender ballads to boisterous romps, have been gathered for Summer Love Songs, a new 20-track CD and digital collection to be released May 19 (May 18 internationally) by Capitol/EMI. Three classic tracks have been mixed in stereo for the first time, exclusively for this release, and three others have received new stereo mixes. Two of the new stereo mixes have been created from long lost, newly-recovered analog multi-track masters. A rare track, previously unreleased in the U.S. and long out-of-print in the U.K., is also included.

The Beach Boys’ romantic ballads, including “God Only Knows,” “Please Let Me Wonder,” and “Don’t Worry, Baby,” and their playful, high-energy love songs, including “California Girls” and “Good To My Baby,” come together as the perfect soundtrack to romantic fun in the sun on Summer Love Songs. Evocative of time and place for all who hear them, these classics continue to warm hearts around the world.

Two of Summer Love Songs’ new stereo mixes, for “Don’t Worry, Baby” and “Why Do Fools Fall In Love,” have been created from newly-recovered analog multi-track masters that went missing from the Western Recorders studio in Los Angeles after they were first recorded in the mid-1960s. These original 3-track analog masters were recently recovered by The Beach Boys and Capitol/EMI for the first time since they were used for the band’s Shut Down, Vol. 2 album in 1964. The collection’s four other tracks with new stereo mixes are “Hushabye,” “I’m So Young,” “Good To My Baby,” and “Time To Get Alone.”

Summer Love Songs also includes “Fallin’ In Love,” a song written and recorded by Dennis Wilson during the Beach Boys’ Sunflower album sessions in 1970. The track has never before been released in the U.S. and has long been out-of-print in the U.K. (where it was released as “Lady”). This track has also been mixed in stereo for the first time.

Summer Love Songs follows the worldwide success of 2003’s Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys, now approaching the triple platinum sales mark in the U.S., and 2007’s The Warmth Of The Sun, a career-spanning collection of deeper album cuts, hand-selected and sequenced by The Beach Boys. Summer Love Songs complements the previous collections as a distinct addition to the Rock and Roll Hall of Famers’ legendary catalog.

In 1961, The Beach Boys began singing about America’s newest craze, surfing. What followed was a wave of hits that vividly expressed the lifestyles, dreams and ambitions of America’s youth. Their signature sound, full of sun-drenched harmonies, golden melodies and descriptive lyrics, delivered a taste of the free and easy California lifestyle to listeners around the world. The music of The Beach Boys brings optimism and a beam of Southern California sun wherever it is played.

For nearly five decades, The Beach Boys, originally comprised of the three Wilson brothers: Brian, Carl and Dennis, their cousin Mike Love, and school friend Al Jardine, have recorded and performed the music that has become the world’s favorite soundtrack to summer. In 1962, Hawthorne neighbor David Marks joined the group for their first wave of hits on Capitol Records, leaving in late 1963, and in 1965, Bruce Johnston joined the band when Brian Wilson retired from touring.

Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1988 and recipients of The Recording Academy’s Lifetime Achievement Grammy Award, The Beach Boys are an American institution that is iconic around the world.

The Beach Boys will be on tour all summer long. For the latest Beach Boys news and tour dates, please visit the band’s official Website: www.thebeachboys.com

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:21am | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

I have an advance copy, and I haven't had a chance to check with headphones yet but here's what I've noticed so far:

The Don't Worry Baby remix sounds great, and does not fade out the instrumentation at the end like the standard stereo version does.

Wouldn't It Be Nice is stereo with MIKE in the mid section just like the single. (most stereo mixes feature Brian there as that's what is on the multi track) I haven't determined if this is a synch up or not, might be a synch with the mono version to get Mike back in there.

God Only Knows is the stereo version that's been issued before, Help Me Rhonda is mono as usual.

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2009 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Bill, are you saying that the single (which would have been only in mono) had Mike singing lead in the mid-section, but the original LP (presumably in stereo, right?) had Brian singing lead there?

Also, when you say:

"most stereo mixes feature Brian there as that's what is on the multi track"

I noticed you said "most" and not "all." Are you saying there are already some stereo mixes that feature Mike there? And if so, how does this stereo mix differ from the previous stereo mixes with Mike there?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

davidclark
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:53pm | IP Logged Quote davidclark

yes there are indeed some stereo versions of the Wouldn't It Be Nice single with Mike. One is on Sounds Of Summer: The Very Best Of The Beach Boys from 2002 and it fades later.

Edited by davidclark on 07 May 2009 at 6:54pm

Bill Cahill
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 May 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bill Cahill

Lots of history on this one. My understanding is that all versions were the same as the single including the mono and electronic stereo LPs, and that version had Mike in the mid section. It was never in real stereo on original vinyl. When CDs debuted at one point a wrong mono mix down was used on some CDs featuring a Mike Love single tracked vocal instead of the doubled version on the original single and LP. Then, when the song was finally mixed to stereo for CD release, the multi track simply didn't have Mike on it anymore. My understanding is the song was mixed to mono with Mike in the middle, then Brian went back in to the multi track and tried his voice. But they went with the Mike mixdown for the release. Mike's version couldn't be created in stereo because his section was erased on the multi track for Brian's vocals in the multi track. So when the song was mixed to stereo, many stereo releases on CD feature Brian in that section. I have heard attempts to synch in Mike before, but frankly can't recall if it's been released that way. So either Mike was synched in or they found Mike's vocal at some point and I haven't been aware of it. Anyone else have more information? Were Mike's vocals found a while back and issued in stereo on CD already?

Edited by Bill Cahill on 07 May 2009 at 6:58pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version