Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: JANET JACKSON - CD "Design of a Decade.." Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 03 September 2009 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Design of a Decade 1986/1996 CD (A&M 314540400) which I have is different from the "A&M 314540399" CD on the database.
This CD isn't written "Printed in USA" anywhere. Please see the picture. "Front Jacket" "Back cover & Spine" "CD label"
Was this CD released in the U.S.A.? I have obtained this at an used record store in Japan around 1998.

My CD's track list, (the actual running time) (comment)

1. RUNAWAY (3:33)
2. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY (3:32) (45 version)
3. NASTY (3:43) (45 version)
4. WHEN I THINK OF YOU (3:54)
5. ESCAPADE (4:44)
6. MISS YOU MUCH (3:51) (45 version but missing the intro synthesizer (:02)) (The actual commercial 45's running time is 3:53)
7. WHOOPS NOW (4:06)
8. LOVE WILL NEVER DO (WITHOUT YOU) (4:33) (45 version)
9. ALRIGHT (4:37) (?)
10. THE BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE (4:04)
11. CONTROL (3:26) (45 version but inclues the very first synthesizer intro (:00.48))
12. THE PLEASURE PRINCIPLE (4:12) (previously unreleased version)
13. BLACK CAT   (4:47) (45 version)
14. RHYTHM NATION (4:25) (45 version but missing ending :01, or the edit of the LP version)
15. THAT'S THE WAY LOVE GOES (4:25)
16. COME BACK TO ME (5:36) (LP version)
17. LET'S WAIT A WHILE (4:36) (LP version)
18. TWENTY FOREPLAY (5:19)

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 8:44am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Abagon, it sounds like you have the UK pressing. In another thread, it was documented that "What Have You Done For Me Lately" on that CD has the LP version ending. The US 45 version has a slightly different echo at the end.

It was also documented that the version of "Nasty" on that CD has a wind sound effect at 2:38 that is not on the US 45. The wind sound effect is also on the LP version, so the UK Design Of A Decade disc is probably an edit of the LP version.

The US 45 version of "Alright" has the non-rap mixes for both the 7" R&B Mix (side A) and the 7" Remix (side B). I believe the 7" R&B Mix (without Heavy D.) runs pretty close to 4:37, so that might be the mix on your CD.

I'm not sure which version of "The Best Things..." you have on that disc, but it could possibly be the Classic 7" Without Rap, which runs 4:01 on the promo CD.

It was also documented in another thread that "The Pleasure Principle" on that CD is an edit of the LP version, which you have correctly noted as "previously unreleased."
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote abagon

Thank you very much for informing me of the details, aaronk!
I'm sorry for my oversight because I have made this superfluous topic.

--abagon
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 03 September 2009 at 11:46am | IP Logged Quote aaronk

You're very welcome, Abagon! I'm glad to help out, and don't worry about starting a new topic. All of those details were buried in different topics and could not have been found easily. I just happened to remember discussing this a couple years ago.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version