Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Breaking Up Is Hard To Do (Slow) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 December 2007 at 10:12am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

For the DJ edit, I presume it starts right away with the piano. Is this edit also sped up, or an additional edit? The reason I'm asking, on the Definitive Collection version, if you slice off the intro from the original 1962 version, it runs 2:59, not 2:53 as indicated in the database.

I sped the slow part up, but just doesn't sound right. So, is there another edit to get it to run 2:53?
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 2:40pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

John, my (2:53) listed time promo 45 side has an actual time of (2:59), so you're all set. My commercial 45 and the longer version of my promo 45 both have listed times of (3:12), and actual times of (3:14).
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

TomDiehl1
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote TomDiehl1

About 10 years ago, a friend of mine asked me for a copy of this version of the song. I could not locate an mp3 of one online so for $3 on ebay ($1.50 for the record and $1.50 for shipping), i had purchased the promo 45 and had the seller send it directly to my friend, i never saw or held the disc in my hands. All I remember from the copy of each side that my friend sent me was that one contained the intro from the original version before the song came on, and one contained it without the intro to the original version, that both sides were stereo except that the intro to the old version was in mono.

My question is, which side did radio stations play? Having not been born until 1985 I wasn't even around to hear this hit the charts the second time around, but I very much prefered the version without the original intro to the song at the beginning, and personally feel it could've been a bigger hit had they not released it with the original intro tacked to the beginning.

Edited by TomDiehl1 on 19 December 2007 at 4:28pm

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Thanks Jim for your input!

I'm sure Pat, when he has a chance, will correct the run time for this song.

Tom, seeing that I was about 16 1/2 when this song came out, I seem to recall hearing this song both with the intro played and without. I know, when I had a chance to play it, I cued right to the piano open on a stock 45 we had at the first station I worked at.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

Tom, all of the Top 40 stations in my area played the short version, which skipped the "1962 version intro". I think I may have heard Casey Kasem play the full version on AT40 a time or two in 1976, but I'm fairly certain that most Top 40's across the country also opted for the "piano intro" version.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Hykker
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:12pm | IP Logged Quote Hykker

I was living in the Seattle area when the remake was a hit, and all I ever recall hearing was the edit.
I personally thought the 1962 intro stuck out like a sore thumb...if I were a programmer back then I would have played the edit too.
Back to Top View Hykker's Profile Search for other posts by Hykker

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:20pm | IP Logged Quote sriv94

I do remember WLS in Chicago also using the edit. As Hykker (sorry, don't know your real name) correctly points out, the 1962 intro certainly does stick out like a sore thumb.

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 5:45pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

I lived in southern Arizona in 1975, and never heard an edit.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 6:18pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

I grew up in Seattle listing to KJR, their main top 40 station, and I don't RECALL ever hearing the 1962 intro at the time. I only remember it starting out cold with, "You tell me that you're leaving."

And I seem to remember being surprised sometime in the '80s or 90's when I heard the '62 intro on an oldies station, and wondering if the station had done its own edit.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version