Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Exile - "You Thrill Me" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 14 February 2009 at 11:52pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Exile - "You Thrill Me" was a top 40 hit that's not in the database so I'm hoping someone can offer help here. My one CD appearance does not match up timewise with the time listed in "Billboard Annual." (The listed single time is shorter than my CD.) Does anyone have both the 45 and LP and know if the single was a fade or edit of the LP - or just a typo on the 45?

And a side note -- wouldn't it be nice to have a continuing post that lists details for all top 40 Billboard hits not listed in Pat's database, like the way they'd be listed?
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 14 February 2009 at 11:54pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

And speaking of that, I understand Pat can't make his book match the BB top 40 hits or he'd likely have to pay a fee to BB. BUT ... if he included every top 40 hit of Billboard and Cashbox and R&R, we subscribers could have all the info we want for every top 40 hit, and Pat still wouldn't have to pay a fee to BB, because if BB argued that his list was based on their Hot 100, he could point out all the songs in the database that were not Top 40 Billboard hits (and not have to pay a fee.)
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 10:37am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

Gordon:

The actual commercial 45 run time of Exile's "You Thrill Me" is 3:40 and this is an early fade of the LP length. I've digitally re-created the exact 45 fade from CD.

I don't know if Pat can legally include all Billboard Top 40 hits in the database without having to pay a fee to the publication, even if he also includes Billboard non-Top 40 singles (I'd be interested to hear a legal authority's take on this), but there are helpful folks like Jim and Ed who have posted detailed information about Billboard Top 40 entries not in the database. If anyone has questions about specific non-database hits or where to find a specific version/mix/length, their best bet would be to post their questions here and someone will likely respond within a day or two. They can also perform a message board search to see if their question has been answered in a previous thread. (The latter option has come through for me on some '70s hits not listed in the database.)
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 February 2009 at 11:33am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for the info. And yes, that's exactly what I do - and did in this case. I ran a search for "Exile" in the chat boards, then read all associated posts, and when I saw this top 40 hit was never addressed, I asked the question here. That IS our best bet, and you're right -- usually someone like Jim has an answer! It's just - in my "dream" version of the database all this info would be included, too. And yes, I'd be curious to know a legal authority's take on this -- if the database doesn't match up exactly with the list of BB top 40 hits (i.e. if it has all those hits and more hits that weren't top 40 in BB), can BB really say this book was based on their charts?

abagon
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 16 February 2009 at 12:54am | IP Logged Quote abagon

LP information: "You Thrill Me" on the LP "Mixed Emotions" (Warner/Curb BSK 3205) has "3:53" of the actual running time and the printed time on the LP label.
Back to Top View abagon's Profile Search for other posts by abagon

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 17 February 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

This song peaked at #40 on the BB charts and #43 on the Cash Box charts, not exactly a consensus top 40 hit.

Edited by Pat Downey on 17 February 2009 at 7:56am
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

edtop40
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 15 May 2011 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote edtop40

my commercial 45 issued as warner 8711 states the run time as 3:42 but actually runs 3:40 and you can effectively re-create the proper 45 version by fading the 3:50 album version for 0:11 from 3:29 to 3:40.....

Santi Paradoa
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 13 July 2012 at 6:11pm | IP Logged Quote Santi Paradoa

By any chance is there a shorter DJ edit of this song? Reason I ask is I've had for a few years an MP3 on my iPod that runs (3:13)?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 07 September 2020 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Trying to sort through the different versions of "You Thrill Me". I have:
* LP 3:53
* 45 3:40
* unknown 3:34 (from MB's collection, though I'm not sure who MB is but is probably in our group)
* unknown 3:16 (my notes say "single version", from "Mixed Emotions", and "from Frank". I'm sure that's Frank Gaertner.) This is pretty close to Santi's mp3, which is 3:13.

Was there a promo 45 around 3:13-3:16? And what's the 3:34 version from MB's collection? maybe another country? or just an early fade of the 45 version (unofficial)?

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 08 September 2020 at 11:24am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

I looked at Discogs to unearth this 3:16-ish version - checking out all the promos. While the US promo is listed as the typical 3:40 on both sides (though the printing time may not be correct), I did see that the Australian promo 45 is listed as 3:18 (the only one with a printed time anywhere near the 3:14-3:16 ones I know of.) That doesn't mean other promos aren't the shorter version, too. But interestingly I also found a "You Thrill Me" US promo on WB that specifically says:

Slow version (stereo) 3:42
Slow version (mono) 3:42

That's a new one to me. Does anyone have this promo or a file of this?

https://www.discogs.com/Exile-You-Thrill-Me/release/5008026

Bwci Bo
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 12 September 2020 at 3:07am | IP Logged Quote Bwci Bo

My New Zealand commercial 45 runs 3:17 and is an edit of
the LP version. It removes the first part of the intro
and has an edit in the instrumental bridge.

Back to Top View Bwci Bo's Profile Search for other posts by Bwci Bo

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 September 2020 at 12:52am | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

Thanks for that info!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version