Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Alicia Bridges - "I Love The Nightlife" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 28 February 2009 at 8:17pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

I have the commercial 45, Polydor PD 14483 (1978), with a printed time of 3:10 and an actual time of 3:08.

There are a bunch of CDs in the 3:05-3:08 range that all match the 45 version.

There are two CDs that I know of that run 2:58 -
  • Rhino's The Disco Years Vol. 3 (1992; sound quality on this track is far better than any of the six 3:05-3:08 versions I have)
  • Rhino's Millennium Disco Party (2000; digitally exactly 0.975 dB louder than The Disco Years and clips a bit)
I noticed that my copy of the 1955-1996 book has a comment of ":10 shorter than the 45 and LP length". Actually, there's an edit in the 2:58 version, not an early fade.

The Rhino CD removes the 20 beats from 2:39.4 to 2:49.1 of the 45 version (using the timing from Time-Life's Sounds Of The Seventies - 1978). The edit points, before and after, are both on the word "disco".

Once the edit is done, the fade points are exactly the same on the Rhino CDs and the others.

Normally, I'd write this off as a goof on Rhino's part and use one of the other CDs. But the sound quality is so much clearer on The Disco Years Vol. 3, compared to all the others, that I'm just going to use it and ignore the missing 10 seconds.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

EdisonLite
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 01 March 2009 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote EdisonLite

In a case like this, I'd go with the full 3:08 version and just re-EQ to match (or improve on) the Rhino EQ. And I agree, generally, Rhino mastering is better than most other labels, and more in line with my tastes.
Back to Top View EdisonLite's Profile Search for other posts by EdisonLite Visit EdisonLite's Homepage

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 02 March 2009 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

It sounds to me like the Rhino discs used a lower-generation source tape than the others, which you can't really fix with EQ. It's more of a clarity/soundstage issue than an EQ issue.

I'd be very curious to hear what tapes exist in the vaults, how Bill Inglot discovered this particular tape, why there are 10 seconds edited out near the end of the song. We'll probably never know...
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version