Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Chat Board
 Top 40 Music on Compact Disc : Chat Board
Subject Topic: Wild Cherry-"Play That Funky Music" Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 18 December 2007 at 6:21pm | IP Logged Quote jimct

One of my local Top 40 stations only played the promo 45 that edited out the word "white boy" throughout the song. Apparently, it had no differentiating, "special label notation" for this unique version, 1976 promo 45. This is probably a major reason why I've never been able to find one! I do already own both the one database CD with this version on it, and the "white boy" version promo 45. But I'm wondering if anyone here may own it already, and could possibly pass along either the deadwax info, or share anything else that would tip me off as to which is the "no-white-boy" promo 45, without having to actually hear it first - thanks.
Back to Top View jimct's Profile Search for other posts by jimct

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 18 December 2007 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

This "no white boy" version would be easy to identify Jim as the catalog number is AE7 1107. The "white boy" catalog number is 50225.
Back to Top View Pat Downey's Profile Search for other posts by Pat Downey

bwolfe
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote bwolfe

I believe the no "white boy" version appeared on a collection in 1988 called "Dancing the Night Away".
I had never heard it before.
It was an early CD compliation of disco hits.
It also included a long version of "Knock On Wood" by
Amii Stewart.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 19 December 2007 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Pat Downey wrote:
This "no white boy" version would be easy to identify Jim as the catalog number is AE7 1107. The "white boy" catalog number is 50225.
Pat, I am extremely appreciative to you for supplying those deadwax details; thank you very, very much!!!

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

I have the non-"white boy" version on an old K-tel CD called "Sounds Like The 70s" Volume II.

I cannot understand why anyone would prefer to listen to that version of it, though. Not having it there destroys the purpose of the song and the lyrical meaning.

Brian W.
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Brian W.

The Hits Man wrote:
I cannot understand why anyone would prefer to listen to that version of it, though. Not having it there destroys the purpose of the song and the lyrical meaning.

Grant, you of all people should know it's not about listening to it, it's about HAVING it.
Back to Top View Brian W.'s Profile Search for other posts by Brian W.

aaronk
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 21 December 2007 at 7:23pm | IP Logged Quote aaronk

Very true, Brian.
Back to Top View aaronk's Profile Search for other posts by aaronk Visit aaronk's Homepage

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 22 December 2007 at 10:08am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

What is the K-Tel catalog number of the "Sounds Like The 70s volume II" cd? Ws this a U.S. issue cd?

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2007 at 10:16am | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

Yes, I'd like to know too.

Word of warning, if it's a K-Tel digital purchase, be aware! Most of the K-Tel files available nowadays through Napster, iTunes etc are re-recordings by one or more of the original artists.
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

Todd Ireland
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 22 December 2007 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote Todd Ireland

I'd like to find another CD source containing the non "white boy" version because the audio levels on the Mega Hits Dance Classics Volume 5 disc (Priority 7975) is highly maximized and overcompressed. Even though I know how to artificially restore the dynamic range (thanks to a valuable tip from Aaron!), it would still be nice to have this version on CD with the orignal range intact.
Back to Top View Todd Ireland's Profile Search for other posts by Todd Ireland

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Todd - I don't think I've ever seen the no-white-boy version outside of the CDs mentioned in this thread.

A little history, all according to memory -

The first time this song appeared on CD anywhere was the no-white-boy version on the 2-CD set Dancin' The Night Away (Silver Eagle OPCD-4512, 1988). Good sound, nice EQ, and about 2.5 dB of headroom between the peak level and 0 dB. Silver Eagle Records was a mail-order company, and their CD compilations featured the CD debuts of lots and lots of the tracks they featured. Very much ahead of the curve - I'd even go as far as to call Silver Eagle Records pioneers at putting out the CD compilations. (I have a whole web page devoted to Silver Eagle, at
www.crapfromthepast.com/favorites/compilations/silvereagle/)

The next time the song appeared on CD was on Mega-Hits Dance Classics (Volume 5) (Priority CDL 7975, 1989). It, too, was the no-white-boy version. The mastering on these collections, which eventually extended out to Vol. 13, was not the greatest, and most, if not all, of the tracks were mastered too loud, with significant clipping. But Priority was also ahead of the curve, and released much of their material before anyone else did. In some cases, like with some Shalamar tracks, I haven't been able to find the 7" versions anywhere else.

Once Time-Life and Rhino caught up to Silver Eagle and Priority, they dominated the marketplace (at least among geeky collectors like me). Time-Life featured the true white-boy version on Sounds Of The Seventies - 1976 (Time-Life SOD-04, 1989), and after that, I've never seen the no-white-boy version on CD again, anywhere.

In 1990, Razor & Tie featured the full LP version on their very first release, The '70s Preservation Society Presents Those Fabulous '70s (Razor & Tie/CBS Special Products A 21640, 1990). The '70s nostalgia was officially "product" in the '90s.

Edited by crapfromthepast on 23 December 2007 at 10:33am
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

sriv94
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2007 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote sriv94

crapfromthepast wrote:
Time-Life featured the true white-boy version on Sounds Of The Seventies - 1976 (Time-Life SOD-04, 1989)

I always thought T-L's version of the song was the improper edit of the LP to simulate the 45, and that the only places with the correct "white boy" 45 version are the Sony Soundtrack for a Century box set and its individual double CDs.

Edited by sriv94 on 23 December 2007 at 10:37am

Back to Top View sriv94's Profile Search for other posts by sriv94

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2007 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Good point, actually. I never owned the 45, so I'm not sure where the edit points should be. I just know that the chorus has the proper "white boy" in it.
Back to Top View crapfromthepast's Profile Search for other posts by crapfromthepast Visit crapfromthepast's Homepage

eriejwg
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 23 December 2007 at 12:12pm | IP Logged Quote eriejwg

sriv94 wrote:
crapfromthepast wrote:
Time-Life featured the true white-boy version on Sounds Of The Seventies - 1976 (Time-Life SOD-04, 1989)

I always thought T-L's version of the song was the improper edit of the LP to simulate the 45, and that the only places with the correct "white boy" 45 version are the Sony Soundtrack for a Century box set and its individual double CDs.

Yes, Doug, Pat has the indication in the database that the Sounds of the Seventies - 1976 version is an improper edit. I only looked quickly, but I'd imagine that T-L's recent Ultimate Seventies - 1976 would also contain the improper edit.

Edited by eriejwg on 23 December 2007 at 12:12pm
Back to Top View eriejwg's Profile Search for other posts by eriejwg Visit eriejwg's Homepage

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 28 December 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

sriv94 wrote:
the only places with the correct "white boy" 45 version are the Sony Soundtrack for a Century box set and its individual double CDs.
Correct!

Brian W. wrote:

Grant, you of all people should know it's not about listening to it, it's about HAVING it.
   I've never been a completest.

Edited by The Hits Man on 28 December 2007 at 8:15am

Pat Downey
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Pat Downey

Hits Man, what is the K-Tel catalog number of your "Sounds Like The 70s Volume II" cd?

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

Pat Downey wrote:
Hits Man, what is the K-Tel catalog number of your "Sounds Like The 70s Volume II" cd?

Pat - If it's the same CD that I have, it's on Seems Like Yesterday Vol. 2 - Mid 70's (K-Tel 894-2, 1989). It's go the "white boy" intact and is the LP version, with a run time of 4:56.

The Hits Man
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 29 December 2007 at 8:24pm | IP Logged Quote The Hits Man

Pat Downey wrote:
I'll dig for it tomorrow or Monday. It's in a box. Actually, I hope I didn't get rid of it.

jimct
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 2:40am | IP Logged Quote jimct

Bringing this old post to the top, as I asked the same question that Ron just did to Pat a while back; Pat's answer is also included.

crapfromthepast
MusicFan
MusicFan

Posted: 24 December 2008 at 9:24am | IP Logged Quote crapfromthepast

There's another thread for this song here that gives editing instructions for creating the proper and faulty 45 mixes.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version